Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are there any Player Collectors who...

collect ACTIVE PLAYERS?

most of the Player collectors on this board collect retired players....

does anyone collect Ichiro? Vlad? Smoltz? Pujols?

these are the active players that are future HOF's and they seem undercollected.....just an observation....

Comments

• Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are people who collect their cards but in my opinion there are to many cards, inserts, 1/1's etc. to make current player collecting fun. It is fun trying to hunt down every card of a player but I would imagine that it is impossible to do now. I collect current players but I pick and choose what card (s) I want.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    Vlad and Smoltz are good guys.

I would stay away from Pujols cards, they will take a huge hit when he finally comes clean on his steroid usage.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I have a handful of Phillies rookie / prospect cards, including some Ryan Howard rookies.

But the proliferation of parallels, inserts, etc. has turned me off from any broad-based player collecting anymore.

M
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I collect Adam Wainwright.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Poor Smoltzie won't be active for long!

I collect some active players, but it is a bit depressing since I may collect the base Topps cards of players and those don't hold a lot of value in the modern market. I say depressing in the sense that everytime I search for modern graded topps cards of players I find everything but.... Case in point is that I collect University of Georgia professionals in as high a grade as I can find. So far though I've been unable to find many recent players in PSA 10 and Topps. I got no hits on Champ Bailey, Terrell Davis, Robert Edwards, Kendrell Bell, Odell Thurman, John Kasay, David Pollack, etc, etc. I'm thinking of just doing a modern football run pack rip to try and pull some of these guys til I can find a 10.

Sad thing is that I have an easier time finding high graded versions of Georgia stars from the 40s and 50s.

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Poor Smoltzie won't be active for long! >>

If he continues to pitche like he did yesterday he'll be active for a bit longer. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Purchased my 200th different Dice-K card over the weekend image

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    For me I don't collect active players because my enjoyment of cards stems mostly from my childhood. Thus I like buying the players of my youth, the 70's and 80's. I never got into the modern cards with 25 "rookie" cards and such. Plus, if there was an "investment" standpoint to my collection (which there can't be much of one based on the crap I buy) I wouldn't want to buy modern players due to the risks (career ending injury, roids, etc...).
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I collect 100's of players--including quite a few actives.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭
    My two main collections are active players, albeit one of them will actually become inactive one of these days... Albert Pujols & Brett Favre

My other two main collections are retired athletes... Hank Aaron & Steve Yzerman
  • Options
    Yes , I collect Chipper Jones cards.
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Chipper and Smoltz. I submitted the Smoltz set request. My Maddux and Glavine collections started when each was still active.
  • Options
    good players to collect....lots of HOF there

im still trying to find the person who submitted the "Josh Fogg Rookie Set"
  • Options
    QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    I collect an inactive player-Brooks Robinson-I only collect his playing years 1957 to 1978......There are more cards after he retired then his playing years.
    I am glad I didnt get into the "new" stuff of Brooks- a guy I know how collects Brooks too, started collecting the "new" stuff-he finally gave up...to much junk out there.
    Scott