Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I wonder what card has been submitted the most times after cracking and resubmitting.

Has anyone here cracked and resubmitted the exact same example of a card more than five times? I wonder what the record is for most cracks and what the final result was.
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That's a good question and one people need to consider when looking at pop reports
    Some higher dollar cards have likely been cracked and subbed several times over
    The pop reports on many star & low pop cards are higher than the actual # out there

Case in point
    I had a '71 Cesar Tovar in PSA 8. It was 9 quality IMO so I cracked and sent in again, came back 8 again
    I did it once more and it came back 8.5 (where it belonged). It was now a 1/1.
    But that meant that there are two more 8s reflected in the pop rept than actually exist
    I'm betting this happens a lot
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    The most I've subbed the same card was 3

Started out an 8 then an EOT. Finally a 8.5 image

I thought the flips could be returned to PSA so they could

correct the POP reports? Haven't mailed them mine yet

Has anyone done this?
  • Options
    Good day,
    I did an experiment with a Non Sport card a couple of years ago and subbed it 6 times. Don't remember all the details but it came back something like, 8, 6, 7, 8, 9, 8.
    I always have a stack of Breakout flips sitting around, once a year or so I throw them in an envelope and send them to PSA. Do they do anything with them...Don't know????
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    no offense to you at all, Neil, but that's just silly. 3 grades difference?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    Good day,
    And that's what the experiment was out to prove...That sometimes grading doesn't mean Diddly!!!!! And which I think it did with flying colors!!!!!

YeeHahimage

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently sent all my cracked flips, and all the certification #'s were deleted from the population report. I know because I have some 1/1's that were showing pop 2 on the report, which reverted back to 1 after sending in the old tags.

Oh, and the 1/1's were not highest graded examples, if you thought I was cracking high end 1/1 stuff. Example, I have a 1968 opc PSA 8 o/c Doug Harvey #1 that I thought might be an unqualified 8, so I cracked it and resubmitted. It came back an 8 o/c again.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    Where exactly do you send the cracked flips - specific department? I have a few I need to get in.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    1975 Topps Robin Yount RC is a good candidate for the most...
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    They used to pay a bounty for the flips. From what Carol told me, they don't do this anymore. I would think if they were still giving you a 50 cent credit per flip, the pop reports would have a chance at being more accurate.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where exactly do you send the cracked flips - specific department? I have a few I need to get in. >>

Yes, if there is a special dept I would like to know

I have a bunch I'd like to send back
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

I bet there's far less Bobby Orr RCs in PSA, than what's shown to have been submitted.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    They could offer to buyback the flips for .25 and I'd be happy. I don't do a lot of resubbing, but I have kept my old flips.

On one hand, it could generate more interest in subs if people know there's only 3 real PSA 9 instead of 8-9 listed, which could mean more profit. Someone might see their card being a 9 but not submit because a 9 with a higher pop isn't worth much. When, at the same time, the registry guys are wondering why with a pop of 9, they can never find card X in a PSA 9.

On the other hand, what would this say about PSA? Somewhere down the line, someone would start the argument that it's solely done to create more crackouts for more subs, meaning PSA purposely grades some cards lower with the intent of creating resubs.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the e-mail that PSA sent me.

-Nathanael

You can send the old cert labels to:

PSA Customer Service

PO Box 6180

Newport Beach, CA 92658

Thank you,

Jessica Haisley

PSA Customer Service

jhaisley@collectors.com

800-325-1121
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am normally a little gun shy about trying to crack and resubmit high dollar cards. I have done it some with lower dollar stuff that I collect for my registry though. I did get a nice 1949 Leaf Baugh that I thought was a grade low (now 1.5 low as this was before the .5 grading). Unfortunately, I hurried to buy it years ago thinking it was a 1948 Leaf...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Good ol' Jessica! No one gives obvious answers from the website like she does.