Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Let's hope Dimitri is OK

Tens of thousands flee raging wildfires in Greece

ATHENS, Greece – A partial drop in gale-force winds early Monday offered hard-pressed Greek firefighters a brief respite after wildfires raged for two days north of Athens, burning houses and swathes of forest while forcing thousands to evacuate their homes.

Officials warned that the vast blaze was still threatening inhabited areas on the capital's northern fringes and near Marathon — site of one of history's most famous battlegrounds.

"There are fewer hazardous points," Fire Brigade spokesman Yiannis Kappakis said. "But the blaze is still developing."

Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis said the fire — one of more than 90 that broke out across Greec over the weekend — was still very hard to tackle.

"The situation remains very difficult," he said after a fire brigade briefing. "The enormous (firefighting) effort will continue on all fronts throughout the night."

Firefighters were set to gain a new boost at first light Monday, when water-dropping aircraft will resume operations, assisted by aircraft from France, Italy and Cyprus. Nearly 2,000 firefighters and soldiers are engaging the blaze on the ground, together with hundreds of volunteers.

In many afflicted areas, however, despairing residents pleaded for firefighters and equipment that were nowhere to be seen.

Earlier Sunday, thousands of residents of Athens' northern outskirts evacuated their homes, fleeing in cars or on foot. The fire destroyed several houses as it advanced across an area more than 30 miles (50 kilometers) in circumference.

Six major fires were burning early Monday across Greece. The Athens blaze started north of Marathon plain, and spread over Mount Penteli — on the city's limit to the north — threatening outlying suburbs.

Driven by gale-force winds, the blaze grew fastest near Marathon, from which the long-distance foot race takes its name, born from a legendary run after the 490 B.C Athenian victory over an invading Persian army.

One resident, Nikos Adamopoulos, said he had driven over a large part of the area and saw no firefighters.

"The Museum of Marathon is being encircled by fire and flames are closing in on (the archaeological site of) Rhamnus," he told The Associated Press. Rhamnus is home to two 2,500-year-old temples.

The mayor of Marathon said he had been "begging the government to send over planes and helicopters" to no avail.

"There are only two fire engines here; three houses are already on fire and we are just watching helplessly," mayor Spyros Zagaris told Greek TV.

Zagaris was among several local leaders who accused the government of having no plan to fight the fire.

Finance Minister Yiannis Papathanassiou responded: "This is not the time for criticism under these tragic conditions. We are fighting a difficult fight."

Another official said emergency workers were exhausted.

"The firefighters, soldiers and volunteers fighting the fire are tired and their equipment is being used constantly and there is fatigue there too," said deputy Interior Minister Christos Markoyiannakis.

Opposition politicians have been restrained in their criticism so far.

But both Communist Party leader Aleka Papariga and Giorgos Karatzaferis, head of populist right-wing Popular Orthodox Rally, said the government had learned nothing from the catastrophic summer fires of 2007, when 76 people died and several villages were totally destroyed in southern Greece.

A shift in wind helped halt the flames in the town of Agios Stefanos, a township on the fringes of Athens on the opposite side of Mount Penteli from Marathon. Most of its 10,000 inhabitants had evacuated Sunday afternoon. By nightfall, the town was empty, authorities said.

The nine helicopters and 14 planes that operated during the day, including two planes sent from Italy, dumped some 4,000 tons (3,600 metric tons) of water on the fire, but apparently without much success. Television showed airplanes and helicopters dropping water on a forest outside Agios Stefanos — and the fire re-igniting moments after they left.

About 58 square miles (37,000 acres or 15,000 hectares) of forest, brush and olive groves have burned. The highly flammable pine forests around Athens' northern suburbs helped the fire spread.

Athens prefect Yiannis Sgouros said the full extent of the damage would take days to estimate.

Authorities evacuated two large children's hospitals, as well as campsites and homes in villages and outlying suburbs threatened by blazes that scattered ash across Athens. The flames also approached a large monastery on Mount Penteli.

Elsewhere in Greece, serious fires were reported on the islands of Evia and Skyros in the Aegean Sea and Zakynthos in the west. Another large fire that started Saturday near the town of Plataea, 40 miles (60 kilometers) northwest of Athens, was spreading unchecked toward a coastal resort in western Attica.

Comments

• Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Haven't seen him in a couple of days on here.... I have a friend flying to Greece for three weeks... Hope he's doing alright..
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    we hope you are doing well Dimitri

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>we hope you are doing well Dimitri >>

I heard the same thing today, and naturally thought of Dimitri. our prayers are with you brother!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimitri, I pray that this disaster avoids you. Let us know what's going on with you when you get a chance.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, scary. My thoughts are with Dimitri and all residents of Greece. Fire is one of things that just scare the heck out of me.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    My thoughts are also with Dimitri and others living near the blazes. I hope they manage to get the fires out soon.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    As are mine. Hope all is well.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    My prayers are with you and your loved ones.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dimitri lives in Psihico which is a Northeastern section of Athens near where the fires are ranging. Hopefully everything is OK.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dimitri lives in Psihico which is a Northeastern section of Athens near where the fires are ranging. Hopefully everything is OK. >>

Geez, an earthquake a few years ago and now fires, we need to talk Dimitri into moving!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    OK Dimitri, post here and alleviate our concerns. Hope you're OK.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay Dimitri, I'm worried about you--please be okay and please let us know you are okay....

Cathy

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Being the month of August and that we haven't heard from D lately, I'm guessing (hoping) he's on vacation.

Here's hoping all is well, whatever the case may be!
  • Options
    My last PM from Dimitri was Aug 18th.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    I queried him about these wildfires on Aug/22/2009 11:12 PM via PM, and have yet to hear any word.

Vacation is unlikely, although he may have landed a $$$$$ contract and is having a pre-celebration in the Aegean. Most likely he's packed up essentials and headed for some place surrounded by rocks and water.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I queried him about these wildfires on Aug/22/2009 11:12 PM via PM, and have yet to hear any word.

Vacation is unlikely, although he may have landed a $$$$$ contract and is having a pre-celebration in the Aegean. Most likely he's packed up essentials and headed for some place surrounded by rocks and water. >>

Like an island? image

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK Dimitri, post here and alleviate our concerns. Hope you're OK. >>

Yes, where are you Dimitri?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    image Dimitri you OK??? image

~
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Still no word from Dimitri?
  • Options
    Dimitri must be totally out of touch. I PMed him some PCGS grades he received from a submission I sent in for him and he hasn't replied at all which is very unusual.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    We need some kind of report - our thoughts are with Dimitri - a class act if ever there was one.
    Shep
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I PM'd on the 22nd asking him where he was and if he was ok...haven't heard a peep. Maybe in France?
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Well, it is August. Much of Europe is on vacation somewhere.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Guys, this is really touching, I'm speechless. I had no easy access to internet lately.

Yes the fires were not far away from where I live. The destruction is devastating. It really breaks my heart to see these mountains surrounding Athens turned from lungs of oxygen for the city to no man's land. Some of them were replanted after similar fires in 1997-8, which means that nothing can be done for them for 2-3 generations. What are we going to leave to our children? Have we learned nothing from similar situations in the past, other than pointing the finger on who's to blame? image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    So good to hear from you.

Thanks for letting us know you're OK! image
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Dimitri - I'm glad you are okay. - Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are Ok, we have terrible fires here in Florida as the do in California and there. It is so sad to see the ravages of fire.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Glad you're ok buddy!!!
  • Options
    Well I don't know Dimitri but he sounds like a nice guy that has a lot of friends here.

I know it's heart breaking for him to see what has happened to his area as result of the fires.

Best to you and your family Dimitri.
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes the fires were not far away from where I live. The destruction is devastating. It really breaks my heart to see these mountains surrounding Athens turned from lungs of oxygen for the city to no man's land. Some of them were replanted after similar fires in 1997-8, which means that nothing can be done for them for 2-3 generations. What are we going to leave to our children? Have we learned nothing from similar situations in the past, other than pointing the finger on who's to blame? >>

Maybe this story will give you some hope that surprises often spring up after fires. image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Dimitri, I'm very glad to see you are well. image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Dimitri! image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    I may not have a dancing Elmo to give you like the other Doug, but i'm glad to see you're alive and well Dimitri!

Will you settle for a snowman? image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Glad to here all is well, were you feeling the love Dimitri?
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pleased to hear you, yours, and your possessions are safe.

So what's the solution, more fire breaks?
    Tempus fugit.