Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

tips on getting 54 wilson franks cards- updated with pics

Anyone have any info on where i can find a few graded Wilsons? Only ones i can really find are the buy it nows on ebay at well above market price. Thanks for any tips.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    At some point you'll end up at 707.
    They're tough to find even in PSA 3/4 level. Jablonski is especially tough.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭

<< <i>At some point you'll end up at 707.
    They're tough to find even in PSA 3/4 level. Jablonski is especially tough. >>

Sold a few things to Levi in the past but have never bought anything from him. Is he usually flexible on his listed prices or are they fairly fixed?
  • Options
    generally pretty fixed but he can surprise you.
    It will take years to complete that set, even with deep pockets. At some point you realize it's worth paying a bit more, because the prices have only gone up, and you could've saved a lot by paying a bit more earlier.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Hello Mike,

I have a Johnny Groth PSA 5 with no qualifiers. If you have an interest in this card you can cotact me at seinbigd@hotmail.com.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    I have a Sauer 6, Hack 4, and Fain 5
    Shane
    shaneleo@aol.com
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 4 cards would be a really good start. Those are nice grades for the Wilson Franks.

Good luck...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Those are great condition for Wilson's, and Groth is one of the tougher ones in my experience.

• Options
    Hey all. Started the 54 Wilson set. Got a couple cards from 1954 and one off ebay. Will financially be able to pick up another card every couple months. Hoping to finish the set with a cumulative grade of 4.5-5 in a few years. Here's a pic of the first 3. Nice thing about a 20 card set is that i'm 15% done with only 3 cards down.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    Do yourself a favor and buy the 5 Williams on Ebay for as cheap as you can get it. It rarely ever comes up for sale in that grade and VCP only shows one sale of the card in a 5 and it's from 2007. Once it's gone you'll be stuck buying a 4 and it won't be a whole lot cheaper. A grade of 5 is very desirable in any Wilsons card and with Williams the key card in the set it's well worth the investment for the upgrade.
  • Options
    Little pricey at $8250 don't you think? Been awhile i agree but the last 5's went for $6600 in a PSA holder and $5999 in a SGC holder. At that price i think i'd hold out for a 6 in the 10 grand range.
  • Options
    Mike
    Love the Red card you picked up on Ebay. It appears very nice for the grade just like the two you bought from me. I would have to agree with you on the comment to wait and buy the Williams. I went for three years without finding a Williams that I wanted in the PSA 5/6/7 range. When I bought the one for my set, I think I found eight that popped up in auction houses or eBay within the month. My advice on finding a Williams is to be prepared to buy it when you find the one that you like. On the other hand if you find a Jablonski in a PSA 5, you better buy it and don't be afraid to over pay for it.

Shane
  • Options
    Ask Studebaker how tough Jablonski is- I think if you can find one in a 2 that isn't a train wreck grab it and upgrade if and when you find another.

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Here's a nice 4 you could pick up for a good priceimage

Williams graded "4"
  • Options
    Is the Jablonski that much harder than everything else? In practice it certainly appears so. It's always the 1st card people mention as the tough one when talking about the set. Reason i ask is going by the pop numbers the Ennis looks equally as tough. PSA has 32 graded Ennis cards. 34 graded Jablonski cards. 15 Ennis cards graded 4 or above and 19 Jablonski cards graded 4 or above. SGC numbers are about equal as well. But the Jablonski does seem to come up a lot less than the Ennis. People hold the Jablonski's closer because of the perception of rarity? Thoughts on the two?
  • Options
    I think I can say for Shane, Murcerfan, Studebaker and myself Jablonski was much tougher. I seem to recall Levi saying the same, and then Groth and then Ennis and perhaps Pafko. No idea why, perhaps its placement on the sheet led to more being mangled, I don't know. when the 4 of us were all working on this set about 5 years ago I don't think there was any conventional wisdom in regards to what was tougher, but that conclusion quickly came out.

• Options
    Mike,
    I totally agree with Griffins. When we made this set we all were looking for the same cards. Look at picking up SEINBIGD's card if you can. That is a tough one. Remember the Jablonski that I have will be available at any time you need it.

shane
  • Options
    Mike- be happy you don't have to deal with Fancy Pearlsky!

• Options
    Now that is funny. I forgot about that clown.

• Options
    Who's Fancy Pearlsky?

Do any of you guys still collect the set or have your collections or did you sell them off? Seems like a lot of board members were collecting the set at the same time. That must have made for some interesting competitions.
  • Options
    I kept mine, but havent upgraded any in a few years.