Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Show your first ancient coin, and how long have you kept it

Bought these in a B&M about 45 years ago at around age 10.
I will still own them when I'm ancient (in my own eyes).
Is that considered a die crack?image
Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---

Comments

• Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Denarius of Trajan

I bought this piece at a Long Beach show between 15 and 20 years ago. It was a dead end
    for me so this was my first and last ancient!

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I bought this a few years ago. Probably about 5 years ago. I didn't know anything about it but just liked the look of it:

Picture was taken with a scanner so it is nicer in hand.

Later found out its:

320 AD Constantine Follis
    Trier Mint
    RIC 254 Rarity R4

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is my first (also scanned). I traded this off LordM last year. I will have it forever!

What I do know, based on the little info paper Rob included, is that it is Constantine (The Great), and was minted in 324 or 325. I believe the Cyzicus mint.

I don't know the denomination...
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I know what you mean Billy, keeping it for ever.
    It is just fascinating to hold a coin used so long ago.
    If I start another collection, I never will become ancient, my wife will kill me.image
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this in February 2001, then a Greek gold stater two years later. They're the only ancients I own.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this roman coin 2 yrs ago at a local B&M shop

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I bought a few Ancients from Josh at Civitas when I was just learning,
    but my first expensive, keeper ancient was this Alexander the Great,
    Lifetime Issue from Myriandrius (top left).

The Colorful toning, highlighting the devices, hooked me on the spot.

• Options
    don't have a pic, but i still have my first ancient that i sent off for from littleton coin company back in 1973 (i was nine). It's just a heavily worn green ae3 or ae4, probably Valens or someone like that. Cost $1. Ad said "Own a piece of Ancient Rome..Genuine 1,500 year old roman coin.." When it arrived, I was thrilled beyond words to own a coin that old!
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my first (also scanned). I traded this off LordM last year. I will have it forever!

What I do know, based on the little info paper Rob included, is that it is Constantine (The Great), and was minted in 324 or 325. I believe the Cyzicus mint.

I don't know the denomination... >>

Constantine the Great
    324-325 AD.
    AE 3, Follis
    Obverse CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate bust right
    Reverse: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, campgate with two turrets and star above, SMKA in exergue
    reference: RIC VII Cyzicus 24
    Rarity: Scarce

Back to the thread...mine was a Hadrian As, RIC 616...I have had it for a year and a half on and off (traded it, twice..lol, then got it back)

stainless
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    My only ancient - it came in a large bulk lot 5+ years ago. I still have it.

R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

This is a Septimus Severus Denarius, bought it 3 or 4 years ago in York, the very city in which this emperor died in 211 CE. It is probably one of my least favourite Roman denarii, even though it was my first. I really prefer the first century CE stuff.

• Options

<< <i>image >>

I'm liking that Tiberius aureus! I like to own one of those one day, but I fear I'd have to sell off all my collection to get one!
  • Options

<< <i>
    Constantine the Great
    324-325 AD.
    AE 3, Follis
    Reverse: PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, campgate with two turrets and star above, SMKA in exergue

stainless >>

Thanks very much! Two more questions: What does AE3 mean? And what does the line for Reference refer to? I want to learn more about ancients, right now I'm a little confused. Thanks!

There are some awesome coins in this thread, by the way. The green here is not from PVC, but from envy image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Constantine the Great
    324-325 AD.
    AE 3, Follis

stainless >>

Thanks very much! Two more questions: What does AE3 mean? And what does the line for Reference refer to? I want to learn more about ancients, right now I'm a little confused. Thanks!

There are some awesome coins in this thread, by the way. The green here is not from PVC, but from envy image >>

THIS should help for the AE 3 question..basically though, AE is for bronze,AR is for silver...the number is to represent the size.

The reference line is for the Roman Imperial Coinage. There are ten volumes of these, all large and expensive books. So, Roman Imperial Coinage, Volume 6, Cyzicus coin number 24 under Constantine the Great.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions on ancients. Keep it to Romans though, as you will confuse me with Greeks and Byzantines. image

stainless
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Herennia Etruscilla Antonianus (not sure of the spelling). Was the first coin I ever bought about 7 or 8 years ago.

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    I can not think of any thing else I purchased at age 8 or 10 and still have. The original wonder and imagination has not changed.
    I believe coins such as these were hand stamped. If they were, the mintage must be very low. How many coins could a person stamp in one day. At one time someone told me ancients are cheap because there are so many of them, which makes no sense to me. Even if they had a mechanical press (high tech for the day) my guess would be perhaps 200-400 a day.
    These days I wonder about things such as how did they make dies two thousand years ago. What type of tools did they have to work with.
    My coin from Gallia (if it's a real coin) looks crude, about what I would expect coins look like for the time; but in this post are other coins just as old with much more detail.
    Yep, all the wonder is still there.
  • Options
    Stainless, thanks so much for the help! And for that website. Wow, I've spent two hours reading there and still don't think I've scratched the surface!

Weg, I believe they WERE struck by hand....amazing to think about it, isn't it?