Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1961 Golden Press Hall of Fame Book

I was going through an old box and found an in tact 1961 Golden Press Hall of Fame Book. All 33 cards are there and none of been punched out. I totaled up the SMR values and for PSA 9's, it came to just over $5,000. Any advise on (1) whether that is a realistic price and (2) whether the book is more valuable in tact or as individual cards. Does PSA grade entire books like this? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Books typically sell in the $400-600 range depending upon condition.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    i purchased a full book 2-3 years ago for around $100 (good price). i was lucky enough to pull a few 10s. i sold them. the pops have grown 10-fold since. if someone can get you a VCP price on the recent sales of 10s that may help give you an idea. The 9s are all over the place ($9 - $200).

the toughest cards are the 3 on the front cover. i think the guy on the boards is wheels1313 (or similar) that knows this set up and down.

good luck on the find.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I have a few of the cards graded, I really like the set But I think over all the set is soft.
    The first 3 cards are the hardest in high grade. Good luck with what ever you do with the book.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Ken Harrington (wheels1313) is definitely the person to talk about this set, but he doesn't post on the board. Shoot him an email thru one of his registry sets and he'll be more than happy to give you as much information as you'd like.

In my experience books go for $125-$200. Anyone wants to pay $400-$600 for one please pm me!

PSA does not grade the complete books. They will not grade cards that have been cut with scissors or an xacto, you have to tear them at the perforations. Ken can fill you in on the right and wrong way to do this.

In terms of values, I think SMR is more than a bit optimistic on this one. My set is over 1/3 9's and the rest 8's, and vcp on it is $826.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Heck, I'll buy a couple of nice, clean books at $250 per then... Any takers?
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I sold a complete book of those about two to three years ago as well. Only got around $125 for mine if I remember correctly.

Had a complete book of the Presidents as well and sold that one too.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I remember buying this book in 1969 for $3.25.

From a large mail order card company in the NYC area as I recall.

My how times have changed.
    Capecards