Home Sports Talk
Options

Jim Thome passed Reggie Jackson tonight

Comments

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Thome fan. From what I've seen, great attitude, great teammate and great ball player. That said, why do I get the feeling that NO MATTER HOW MANY HOME RUNS he hits, he will have a hard time getting elected to the Hall of Fame. Who knows, maybe I'm just being crazy and I hope I am.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    ...sometimes i really wonder what some people are smoking....

That said, why do I get the feeling that NO MATTER HOW MANY HOME RUNS he hits, he will have a hard time getting elected to the Hall of Fame. Who knows, maybe I'm just being crazy and I hope I am.

This is a guy who I would compare to killebrew, except better. Thome is perhaps one of only a few true, non juicing sluggers of this generation....consistently hit 30+ to 40 homers, walked a ton, played on some great Indians teams, super nice guy with the kids and generous in the community.

He is 19th all time in .OPS, 52nd all time in total bases, 10th all time in walks, 29th all time in runs created, 12th all time HR leader, will end his career in top 30 all time RBI list. Easily a first ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt, no question, no debate, not even close.
  • Options
    Thomes will make the hall. He just kind of got lost in the shuffle in an era of juiced sluggers. Assuming he is clean and no reports to the contrary are ever released, he will be a lock. He should be around for another season or 2 and hopefully get to 600 HRs.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Always difficult to rate/compare active players,
    We may only estimate what Thome may do for the rest of his career, and retired guys do have final and absolute stats.

Regardless, as of right now, Jim Thome has 564 homeruns, more than legends such as Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, and Jimmy Foxx.

Even more impressive is his HR frequency, via the AB per HR stat, he is the fourth most likely fellow to hit a HR in MLB history !
    He is topped by only Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds, whose performances are questionable, and by Babe Ruth, perhaps the best baseball player of all time.
    Certainly some good company.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.