Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Better set- 52 Bowman or 54 Wilson Franks

I built a 1935 Goudey set in PSA 6-7 a few years back. Am getting into the hobby again and have narrowed my decision on which set to build to the 52 Bowman set and the 54 Wilson Franks set. Like them both- have about 10 grand to put towards it and judging by VCP values i can build a PSA 7 type 52 Bowman set or a PSA 4-5 type 54 Wilson Franks set. I'm mainly looking at which set you guys feel will have the greatest demand going forward. I'm not looking at this as an investment but would like to know which people think is the better set to sink money into.
1952 Bowman for me:
1. love the artwork, little paintings
2. seems overlooked and possibly undervalued in comparison to the sets around it
3. Mantle and Mays
4. prices are low right now compared to SMR. Outside the star cards, commons can be had for half book.
5. Really not that many graded compared to most of the sets in the 50's. May just be because there's a lot of ungraded raw. Most that is graded seems to be PSA 6 and better.
6. Can afford PSA 7's which are very presentable

1954 Wilson for me
1. Like the quirky weener cards with the floating package, very original
2. like that there's only 20 cards and each is worth quite a bit. No real commons.
3. Like that it's a relatively rare set and not much raw can be found. A few finds the last decade or so makes them a little more common than before but still very hard to find.
4. Ted Williams is my favorite player
5. Some of the cards are kind of ugly as i can only afford PSa 4's and 5's and most of the cards are well off centered
6. Cards don't come up very often except for the same overpriced ones that have been siting on ebay as a buy it now for a year or more.

What are your thoughts on these two sets. Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    for the challenge 54 wilson........

for the resell 54 wilson

for the quickness to complete 52 bowman

I would try for the 54 Wilson....image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    The 54 Wilson are one of my odd ball favorites. 10K will get you in the game. Ping 1954 for info. He did a set some years back and might be able to share some insight in what to look for. There are some short theads you might be able to find as well. Try the vintage forum.

I'd give it go.
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I vote Wilson all the way. The 1952 set is nice but I would bet that you can always sell a Wilson Weiners set much easier than a mid grade 52 set. I have made two sets from 1954, hence the name. Look at prior auction results as well. You never see a set of Franks in there and when you do they sell for crazy money.
    I know where you can pick some of those up to get you a good head start too.

Regards,
    Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the Wilson Franks also, but will definitely be more of a challenge than the '52 Bowman.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    i personally like the wilsons, but they will cost more. i have contemplated starting a set before, but always hesitated due to the final auction prices.
  • Options
    wilson for sure...if TED is your guy how about TED's 59 fleer set only 80 cards in PSA 8 far less than 10k
  • Options

<< <i>I vote Wilson all the way. The 1952 set is nice but I would bet that you can always sell a Wilson Weiners set much easier than a mid grade 52 set. I have made two sets from 1954, hence the name. Look at prior auction results as well. You never see a set of Franks in there and when you do they sell for crazy money.
    I know where you can pick some of those up to get you a good head start too.

Regards,
    Shane >>

Thank you. Would appreciate any help or leads you could give me.

Mike
  • Options
    Bowman, without a doubt will appeal to a broader market. image
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I'de personally build the 52 Bowman, but I will also say I am a big Musial collector and his 52 Bowman card in by far my favorite.

Good Luck with either set.

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Wilsons
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wilsons.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Bowman. Hands down.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    I have a buddy that owns a complete raw set of the '54 Wilson's. He's had them since childhood. I've tried, many times, to convince him to have them professionally graded, but to no avail. The cards below are not his, but his are just as nice. I like the set a lot, even though the Mick isn't represented.

'54 Wilson Franks checklist:
    1 - Roy Campanella
    2 - Del Ennis
    3 - Carl Erskine
    4 - Ferris Fain
    5 - Bob Feller
    6 - Nellie Fox
    7 - Johnny Groth
    8 - Stan Hack MG
    9 - Gil Hodges
    10 - Ray Jablonski
    11 - Harvey Kuenn
    12 - Roy McMillan
    13 - Andy Pafko
    14 - Paul Richards MG
    15 - Hank Sauer
    16 - Red Schoendienst
    17 - Enos Slaughter
    18 - Vern Stephens
    19 - Sammy White
    20 - Ted Williams

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

PoppaJ
  • Options
    wonder how they chose the players to be included.

Why if only 20 players did they include 2 MG? Richards was a player in the 30's but was not a star. image
    succesful deals :richtree, Bosox1976, Bkritz, mknez, SOM, cardcounter2, ddfamf, cougar701, mrG, Griffins : thanks All

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Thomas Wilson (Wilson & Co.) headquarters was in Chicago for both meat and sporting goods....thus the connection a total 6 cards 3 each from the Chicago teams including the managers at the time. At least that's what i think.
  • Options
    Mike,
    PM me if you are interested in talking. I can help you with the set.
    Regards,
    Shane

• Options
    bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭

<< <i>Mike,
    PM me if you are interested in talking. I can help you with the set.
    Regards,
    Shane >>

Thanks a bunch. PM sent

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Thomas Wilson (Wilson & Co.) headquarters was in Chicago for both meat and sporting goods....thus the connection a total 6 cards 3 each from the Chicago teams including the managers at the time. At least that's what i think. >>

thanks for the info.... neat to know

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Mike,
    I do have three extra graded cards from the Wilson's set. If you decided to dive in, I believe a friend of mine has a couple too. You could be 25% of the way finished in a weeks time.

Here are the cards that I have dups on.
    Sauer PSA 6
    Hack PSA 5
    Fain PSA 5

I do have four ungraded cards that are pretty rough, but I have the hardest one known to exist in that group...... Jablonski. This card brings big dollars.

If you have any questions on the set, let me know.

Regards,
    Shane

Reply Delete Top Bottom

Date Posted: Jul/20/2009 8:37 AM

• Options
    what would it cost to get a "rough" one? If one was interestedimage

Go Phillies
  • Options
    Some help on my 1955 Topps PSA 7 set would be a great start.

Shane
  • Options
    bosoxphanbosoxphan Posts: 107 ✭✭

<< <i>Mike,
    I do have three extra graded cards from the Wilson's set. If you decided to dive in, I believe a friend of mine has a couple too. You could be 25% of the way finished in a weeks time.

Here are the cards that I have dups on.
    Sauer PSA 6
    Hack PSA 5
    Fain PSA 5

I do have four ungraded cards that are pretty rough, but I have the hardest one known to exist in that group...... Jablonski. This card brings big dollars.

If you have any questions on the set, let me know.

Regards,
    Shane

Reply Delete Top Bottom

Date Posted: Jul/20/2009 8:37 AM >>

Hey Shane. Yeah definitely interested. Sent you a pm. Appreciate it.
    Mike