Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1948 Leaf - White Bkgd & Other Variations - Opinons?

Sometimes, I don't understand the way PSA figures these things out. There are a few White Background variations for this set listed in the SCD Annual/Beckett (not sure who set the precedence, but they both note a few of them), hence, PSA includes them in the Master Set. To date, no more than one of any variation has been graded. I have NEVER seen more than 1 of any specific player in all of my years of collecting. I have three different ones that are not noted on the Master Set, but since they aren't cataloged, PSA won't recognize them or add them to the Set. Considering that these are potentially limited to one of of each, why would PSA include any of them in the Master Set? It would make completing the Master Set IMPOSSIBLE!

Now, I was always under the impression that PSA would not include an item in a Master Set unless at least three (3) examples had been graded. When I've asked PSA about the "other" examples that I own, I was told that unless they are cataloged, they will not be recognized. These cards are simply the result of the background color not being printed, the same as many of the other inking variations. The only true variations in the set that are not color based are the "Gorgeous George" McAfee/George McAfee and Jonny Lujack/Johnny Lujack name variations. Everything else is a color variation (Pants, Jersey, Numbers, Name, Background) and even these have been selectively included/excluded.

Does this make any sense? Why should the Master Set be subject to scarcities that someone managed to catalog when the editor gave a darn, but now, since the authors and editors are too busy trying to catalog the plethora of newer material, they can't be bothered to add the "new" examples to the set or even make a notation that White Background examples may exist for each card in the set.

Any other collectors with thoughts on this? I would greatly appreciate it if Mr. Orlando would offer his insight and explanation on this topic. He's always far too busy at shows to spend a couple of minutes with me to discuss it.

Comments

• Options
    I know what you mean you mohwak havin' M'f-er.

The white backrounds are not variations, they are print defects. If I have a 48 leaf with a black dot on someones face, can I get it added to the master set registry? no.

Way different than green stripes on Savitsky, or the name variations you mentioned. Ive also been told that there has to be 3 examples graded before it can be added, but it doesnt seem to be adhered to. I feel for ya Scotty, thats why I wont dive into the master set, despite you trying to talk me into it image
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Contact Bob Lemke and prove the existence of the variations. SCD should catalog them. I'm not sure who to contact at Beckett anymore.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact Bob Lemke and prove the existence of the variations. SCD should catalog them. I'm not sure who to contact at Beckett anymore.

Nick >>

Nick:

Adding such variations to the SCD or Beckett Annuals creates a conundrum. Once they are listed, PSA may be willing to put the variation on the flip, but then seems to feel it is alright to add them to the Master Set when there are less than 3 graded. I'm not trying to have my cake and be able to eat it to. I just want the variations noted on the flip and when there are more than 3 of a variation graded, they can be added to the Master Set. Otherwise, the Master Set is not actually correct and is more about who got in SCD's ear when the variations were originally listed. Thus, it is virtually impossible for ANYONE to complete the set. Also, I have not noticed any change in the SCD Annual listing in the past 6 years that I've been watching it.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    otw - Lemke wasn't involved with the Standard Catalog for a while.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>otw - Lemke wasn't involved with the Standard Catalog for a while.

Nick >>

As I understand it, Bob's only working on the Baseball Annual now that he has returned.

The point is that regardless of whether the variations are included or excluded from the Annual, PSA has deviated from their policy of 3 or more examples graded to include in the Master Sets. If they won't recognize other variations, I'm fine with that, but they should not include other variations in the set that may be limited to one or two pieces in existence when they only have one example residing in their entire Population Report.
  • Options
    Time to beat up on this dead horse some more! So what is the verdict on the 1 only population cards in the master set? We will never be able to complete the Master Set as Scott has mentioned, so if we can't beat them then how do we join them? How do we get PSA to add a 1 only card or uncategorized card to the Master Set? Has anyone figured out how to submit 3 examples of a card without owning all 3 to then be considered a variation?!! Is there a way to submit a card to at least be encased and authenticated like the Blue flip autographed cards? One last question, does anybody know where to attend a 12 step program to break an addiction to 1948 Leaf Football card collecting?
    Collecting 1948 PSA Leaf Football
  • Options
    One last question, does anybody know where to attend a 12 step program to break an addiction to 1948 Leaf Football card collecting?

Two ways to break the 48 Leaf addiction:

#1 never start collecting it
    #2 death
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of player sets that have a requirement that includes cards that exist , but have never been graded .

Lucky me !!!! ----- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell