Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Proper storing of rare coins in safety deposit boxes

Several years ago Ira Stein (who sells coins on eBay), suggested I purchase the Intercept Shield as a method of preserving my coins for long term storage. I’ve always appreciated his suggestion and purchased a quantity of the boxes from him. However, as I am sure many of you know, most banks do not have humidity control within their vaults, so I ended up putting Desiccant packets inside my safety deposit box to remove excess moisture. Since over time, the absorption capability of these packets diminish (as they absorb moisture), you have to replace them. With all the new technology and the different types of Desiccant packets (silica and clay) available with different coverings (Tyvek and cotton), I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows what is the best type to put into ones safety deposit box, that will not harm coins during long storage? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan

Comments

• Hi Jonathan,

All the coins in my collection ( many hundreds, all slabbed in PCGS holders) are in safe deposit boxes in several banks all over the and I visit each box about once every six months. I use no dessicant in the safe deposit boxes, yet I see no spotting or color changes. Each lot of ten coins is in an Intercept Shield box system for almost eight years now. In two years I plan to change out everybox and inner capsule with fresh ones. Probably over precautionary, but I tend to be that way. It's a chore to do, but it should be done. I've not been disappointed with the Intercept Shield boxes. I've sold a lot of them, especially to members of my coin club, and the only fella that had color changes was to coins that had, in my opinion, been artificially colored. The odd telltale toning was the giveaway. Once the coins have been "doctored " the surfaces are chemically active and within a year they will change significantly. That's a good reason to visit one's coins if kept in a bank vault.

Ira

Dealer/old-time collector
  • Ira:
    Thanks for getting back toi me. My only problem is I only have my coins in the Intercept holder, not the box. Both of the banks I use do not have any larger safety deposit boxes available. I have been on waiting list for over a year with both. This is why I try to maintain the moisture level at all times.
    Jonathan
  • Jonathan,

Try storing the coins in the IS capsules in ZipLok plasticbags. Use the kind with a plasic zipper, not the type you press togther. Looks a bit messy, but that should work. I was fortunate to be able to rent the largest box the bank offers and rent a few of these. Each holds 12 IS slab boxes.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • pretty sure Ziplocks contain P.V.C............

my bank provides no humidity control in it's vault and i use desiccant and plenty of it
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ziplocks designed for food storage cannot contain PVC by law.
    Doug
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to freak everyone out but... I had my whole PCGS collection in Eagle albums on a closet shelf on an open air 5th floor condominium less than 500 yards from the ocean in the Caribbean for 4 years. The notebook binders’ rings did rust, but other than that, the coins are fine. Now that is not to say they would be fine after 10 years or what Ira says is not important. The fact is that maximum prevention/preservation should be practiced. But for those of you who worry a coin left out in a humid environment will cause it to change in short time is not true unless as Ira pointed out – the coin was messed with, or, the slab was not sealed properly.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • I have trouble believing coins in slabs need all these extra precautions. Does anyone have examples of slabbed coins that changed due to improper storage?
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have trouble believing coins in slabs need all these extra precautions. Does anyone have examples of slabbed coins that changed due to improper storage? >>

How many of us need bomb shelters now a days as well?
    The 50's saw the need.
    Of course I live in a very dry state, so even old cars can lay out in the open for years and do reasonable well.

I highly doubt that many issues will arise inside a safe deposit box. Drop a few desicants in there and be done with it.

JMHO