Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anybody got a GEM speciman of this crown?

I would sure like to find one........
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I have determined on these Latvian coins many of them were confiscated by the USSR in 1940. Curiously they held them in storage and they were never melted, etc like you would have thought. Like many things in the old USSR, they just put them away only to be found in the late 1970s at which time they were sold by Mezhnumizmatika in Moscow, usually at prices much much higher than catalog, because most of their buyers were tourist.

I have a price catalog from Meznumizmatika from about that time and they were charging a lot more than I would pay at a local coin show for these. They are beautiful coins though, and the young miss is now represented on the current Latvian 500 Lats bill.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I have determined on these Latvian coins many of them were confiscated by the USSR in 1940. Curiously they held them in storage and they were never melted, etc like you would have thought. Like many things in the old USSR, they just put them away only to be found in the late 1970s at which time they were sold by Mezhnumizmatika in Moscow, usually at prices much much higher than catalog, because most of their buyers were tourist.

I have a price catalog from Meznumizmatika from about that time and they were charging a lot more than I would pay at a local coin show for these. They are beautiful coins though, and the young miss is now represented on the current Latvian 500 Lats bill. >>

Thanks for the history!image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Very tough coin in gem, IDK the pop report but I've never seen a gem or even close. Only seen one or two real UNCS (nevermind some NGC61's and 2's).
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Yep, these are kinda like the Polish gal from the same time.. very tough in full brilliant UNC.