Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Which feels better: Starting a new set or finishing one?

I ask because I am starting on a couple of new sets. It is very exciting because there are so many coins to choose from, so much to learn about the new sets and so on. It is also intimidating because, well, it is a new set, but I am at the beginning of it, so it is a little bit depressing.

Likewise, finishing a set is great on the one hand, but sometimes the work involved in getting those last couple of coins is just a little nauseating. JR and I were talking about this the other day...by the time you get the last pieces into your greedy little hands, you feel like you never want to look at them again! That is exaggeration of course, but you know what I mean.

So what does everybody think? Is a new set the better feeling because it is like falling in love again? or is finishing better for the satisfaction of having it all done with - upgrades notwithstanding?
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like starting a new set because that suggests both the satisfaction of finishing a set and the thrill of starting a new one.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Finishing a set has got to be the biggest thrill. It has only happened to me once (and hopefully about to happen a second time) if I can get a little help on some MS67 Walkers for the short set.

Pose this question again in a month or two (or three) and I might have a different response.

----------------

etexmike
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're both satisfying, in different ways, but starting a new set gives me a more long-lasting "rush". When starting a new set, you've accepted a challenge and get to experience the fun of acquiring new coins. If you go after the easy coins first, your set can grow relatively quickly and inexpensively. If you have a Registry set, you can get wrapped up in the competitive spirit. It's much easier to move up a notch or two in the rankings when you're starting out.

While finishing a set gives a tremendous sense of accomplishment, I personally miss the search and anticipation of finding a great-looking coin, and have to start another set.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Monsta,

Nothing like the satisfaction of finishing a set in my opinion. Except since I have been working in Type sets, the excitement stays constant. Working with series, I kept giving up before I reached the halfway point because I was getting sick of trying to find the pieces.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Well I enjoy collecting. Starting a set is great because of the possibilities. It is tough to need one thing only while bargains in other areas go begging.

But what a feeling to finish a set! I finished my Jefferson proofs and felt great. Later I realized I wasn't finished as I wanted some varities. Now I want upgrades but am not willing to pay current asking prices. I am finally accepting the reality I may really be finished with the Jeffs. If felt great for a moment, but if I hadn't started on type I wouldn't know what to do!!
  • Options
    Both,

After starting a set the initial excitement starts to wane a bit, but as you close in on 90, 92, 95% etc it gets pretty sweet again.

Rich

I think after I finish the set I'm focusing on (Lincoln Cents 09-58) I'll upgrade the coins I wasn't thrilled with then I can "Fall in love" with the series all over again.....image