Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Going to BAH HABAH, Maine....

Are there any coin shops I should visit?image If any of you live in that area, I would love to meet you. I will be there for a week. -Dan

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I love the place, but I don't think that there's any coin shops there...at least none that I saw. There was a shell shop though, but as I remember it, the owners were pretty old already 10 years ago.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I will be going into Bangor and Portland at some point along the way.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I will be going into Bangor and Portland at some point along the way. >>

Use DexKnows....

Bangor

SE of Bangor is this potential gem....

Jims Coins
    (207) 843-6205
    Address: 703 Main Rd, East Holden, ME 04429

Portland

have fun!
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    I grew up near Bar Harbor, but have not visited a coin shop there in years.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Laserart lives up that way, might want to ask him
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! We are staying in a very nice place, but for some reason the internet service is at a snails pace. I guess that is a good thing and will make me focus on a TRUE vacation and not piss it away on the internet!image We actually stopped in at Salem, Mass this morning and were pleasantly surprised with the lack of vacationers... I really did like the place! I did not have a chance to scope out coin shops, but it will be a definite stop on the way back. -Dan
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    You definitely want to stop by Maritime Int'l in Bangor. The owner, Paul, is a terrific guy, as are many of the folks that work there. They usually have a pretty good inventory, and the shop is nice. Tell them Mike Stair sent you.

In Portland, you might have some luck at Maine Gold & Silver, but it's primarily US, not much in the way of darkside. John Colby is great, and will treat you right.

If you get to Augusta, check out China Lake Coins. Again, it's mostly lightside, but the new owner, Will, usually has at least a few nicer pieces of darkside gold.

Should your travels take you to the Auburn area (doubtful, but possible - depending on which route you take), you'll want to hit Republic Jewelry & Coin. Dan Cunliffe is super - (Call first to catch him there if you can ... better prices when you deal with the owner) - and they generally have at least some decent world coins worth checking out.

A definite MUST-SEE if you travel Rte. 1 down the coast is the new shop in Rockport. It's called MCN Coins, and is at 890 West St. (Rte. 90). It's new enough that it may not be in any directory yet, but it's run by Barrie Jenkins, who's a well-known and highly respected long-time Maine dealer. Call first (207) 701-8411 to check hours.

Enjoy your stay in Maine!

Mike

Edit: Feel free to PM me if you need contact info for any of the above...

• Options
    Thanks Mike! I am going to sneak away tomorrow.image -Dan
  • Options
    Are you traveling by cah?
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Going to BAH HABAH, Maine....
    >>

Have some LABSTER for me!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Have some LABSTER for me! >>

... actually, when I looked over the weekend at the pound near my house, LOBSTAH was going for $3.99/lb! image

(It is not good for the industry for it to be that cheap, but I like it!)