Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Legend of the lost wagon of 1907-D Barber dimes and quarters

PCGS has graded less than 65 1907-D Barber dimes over the years. Finding the 07-D dime in AU and Higher is quite a tough chore. Well there is a legend that a wagon-load went over a canyon in Colorado and is summarized below from Coin facts:

"There were over 34 million dimes produced this year, the vast majority came from the Philadelphia Mint."

"1907-D has a scarcity that defies easy explanation. Rumor has it that a large shipment of these dimes (and quarters) met disaster when a delivery wagon toppled in the Black Canyon near Gunnison Colorado. This date not only is an R5 in mint state, but also is fairly tough in all circulated grades."1

The finest Uncirculated example graded by PCGS is a single MS-67.

Sources and/or recommended reading:
1. "The Complete Guide To Certified Barber Coinage" by David & John Feigenbaum

"The PCGS Population Report, July 2003" by The Professional Coin Grading Service

If you are a metal detector kind of guy and live near Colorado have you ever considered looking into this more closely? Imagine finding several thousand 1907-D Barber quarters and dimes in Mint state!! What a huge find this would be. Kinda makes me want to look more closely into this story. Anyone else ever research this "lost" shipment? A very cool legend nonetheless.

Comments

• Options
    Cool story, but....

NPS site

"No other canyon in North America combines the narrow opening, sheer walls, and startling depths offered by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison."

You would definitely have a big job ahead of you on this one.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    I've visited this National Park several times, but never realized the numismatic connection.

It would be no easy task to track these down, and I'm sure 100 years exposed to the elements would has taken a great toll on them.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fifty-three miles of searching in that terrain would be a daunting task to take on.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would rather go after these Clark & Grubers. This supposedly took place about 45 minutes north of where I live.

JJ

Clark & Gruber gold.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS has graded less than 65 1907-D Barber dimes over the years. Finding the 07-D dime in AU and Higher is quite a tough chore. Well there is a legend that a wagon-load went over a canyon in Colorado and is summarized below from Coin facts:

"There were over 34 million dimes produced this year, the vast majority came from the Philadelphia Mint."

"1907-D has a scarcity that defies easy explanation. Rumor has it that a large shipment of these dimes (and quarters) met disaster when a delivery wagon toppled in the Black Canyon near Gunnison Colorado. This date not only is an R5 in mint state, but also is fairly tough in all circulated grades."1

"The PCGS Population Report, July 2003" by The Professional Coin Grading Service

If you are a metal detector kind of guy and live near Colorado have you ever considered looking into this more closely? Imagine finding several thousand 1907-D Barber quarters and dimes in Mint state!! What a huge find this would be. Kinda makes me want to look more closely into this story. Anyone else ever research this "lost" shipment? A very cool legend nonetheless. >>

That's just an old BS story. For one thing, there was a Denver & Rio Grande R.R. line running through the Gunnison Valley in 1907, besides several other rail lines going west through the Rockies. There was no need to ship a heavy shipment via stagecoach.

For another thing, there was never a road running along the southern lip of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. The Canyon runs through the middle of a large granite dome (think of Stone Mountain, GA, with a deep crack running down the middle) that protrudes several hundred feet up above the surrounding flatland. There is a nice, easy road through gently rolling country just south of the dome.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    "Many years ago, a wagon train from the Denver mint, loaded with new dimes destined for Phoenix, Arizona disappeared somewhere between a Crawford ranch and Montrose. Four to six wooden kegs of new dimes were loaded on four separate wagons traveling as a group. Several years later, treasure hunters found the remains of four wagons at the rim of a canyon where a side wash fell off into the river ravine. Though they were able to gather several gallons of dimes along the Gunnison River near the north rim of Black Canyon, more treasure awaits the finding"
    "Everyday above ground is a good day"

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always loved the 1907-d dime and quarter, and in fact a near gem 1907-d 25c from Renrob in the 1970's was my 2nd major Barber at the time behind a gem 1907-s. I was not able to find a worthy 07-d dime back then, at least one that was priced right. In the 1970's my research lead me to believe that the 07-d dime and quarter were probably as rare or rarer than the more touted 09-d, 10-d and 11-d. When David Hall started publishing his Barber coin series analysis in his Market newsletters (1983) he also noted the elusiveness of the 07-d. But I believe he ranked it under the 10-d and 09-d.

For some reason in 1907, the branch mint D and S coins tended to get "lost." I have no explanation for it other than people lost interest in branch mints until the Lincoln cent came out. The first year of the Denver mint in 1906 probably resulted in lots of hoarding first year of issues, esp in the smaller denominations. By 1907 it would appear that interest was lost.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I would rather go after these Clark & Grubers. This supposedly took place about 45 minutes north of where I live.

JJ

Clark & Gruber gold. >>

Clark, Gruber & Co was long gone by 1872. Certainly a fun story though.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS has graded less than 65 1907-D Barber dimes over the years. Finding the 07-D dime in AU and Higher is quite a tough chore. Well there is a legend that a wagon-load went over a canyon in Colorado and is summarized below from Coin facts:

If you are a metal detector kind of guy and live near Colorado have you ever considered looking into this more closely? Imagine finding several thousand 1907-D Barber quarters and dimes in Mint state!! What a huge find this would be. Kinda makes me want to look more closely into this story. Anyone else ever research this "lost" shipment? A very cool legend nonetheless. >>

Would our effervescent Modulator be so kind as to remove said booshwah from Coin Facts?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Cool story, but....

NPS site

"No other canyon in North America combines the narrow opening, sheer walls, and startling depths offered by the Black Canyon of the Gunnison."

You would definitely have a big job ahead of you on this one. >>

Truly an amazing natural wonder.

During a visit there back in the early 80's, I spoke with a park ranger who had some rock-climbing equipment with him, and asked him what he was doing. He said that all of the rangers had to qualify in rapelling down and back once a year in case they had to rescue a tourist.

He then said that one year some idiot in a helicopter had clipped a canyon wall and gone down. After they recovered the body, they had to cut the helicopter up and haul it up in pieces so that the wreckage did not spoil the view of the canyon. Don't know if he was pulling my leg or not.

TD
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought metal detectors were banned on all federal property.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a 1907-D dime in PCGS MS64. I bought it for greysheet Bid four years ago, at $2,350 to be exact. The last price I have seen for this coin on the greysheet was in the $1,300 range, making it the single biggest money-loser I have ever owned, and by a mile. I do not understand the reason for the price drop, but I would love to know. I have seen another forum member state that he believes the 1907-D is the single most overrated Barber dime in Unc., and they are always available for sale. Buyer beware- the "D" mint Barber dimes are simply not popular with collectors in Unc. grades. The good news is that I don't think the price can fall any further on the 1907-D, given its low certified population.

Fortunately, I was able to acquire an 1895-O dime PCGS MS64 in the same purchase as the 1907-D, and that coin has seen skyrocketing auction values in the past four years. The difference more than makes up for the loss on the 1907-D.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>"This date not only is an R5 in mint state, but also is fairly tough in all circulated grades."<<

Looks like several in good to fine condition have sold recently on eBay for less than $5 each.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,918 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>"This date not only is an R5 in mint state, but also is fairly tough in all circulated grades."<<

Looks like several in good to fine condition have sold recently on eBay for less than $5 each. >>

It's a fairly easy coin in G-F(R2) but R4 in AU and MS. Probably tougher in XF-AU grades than MS but I am far from the expert. I just like the legendary story mostlyimage
  • Options
    The 1907-D quarter is one of the more under-rated coins in the series. Gems are particularly difficult to find, and many were also poorly produced. As I have never collected the dimes, I didn't know that the '07-D dime is also a tough cookie. Here was my '07-D quarter, a PCGS MS65. I never quite found one that suited my standards, but this one was quite well-struck, original, and reasonably attractive:

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    My wife and I hiked to the bottom of that canyon years ago, didn't see any coins though.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    The 1907-D dime is the single most overrated coin in the Barber dime series. While it is true that
    the coin is elusive in high AU it is readily available in 65+. Ten years ago the sheet gave gem price
    at $4500. It is now at $3100 and falling.

Steve
    Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I'm building a VG-F set of Barber dimes although some go to VF. I got my 1907-D off of ebay for $16 including shipping. I don't know what the darker stuff in the photo is but it really looks better in hand. I wasn't aware that this was a tough date. Images attached.

Mike
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

There are a considerable number of 1907-D halves:

Denver Mint Barber Half Dollars of 1907, with comments on condition rankings
    "In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice to see this thread revived.

As for the '07 D half dollar, it was never considered scarce.

But, the dime and quarter are still difficult to obtain in high grades.

Over the years the last '07 D dime that I found in high grade was an AU-53 in Feb. 1998.

And the last 07 D quarter was an AU-58 in 1999.

They were and still are very difficult to find without problems.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Just remember that the story of the lost wagon is still utter hogwash!
  • Options

<< <i>Just remember that the story of the lost wagon is still utter hogwash! >>

The Capt. says its hogwash because he is trying to steal the treasure for his self image

Just kidding!image
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool story

However the Black Canyon near Gunnison Colorado looks like this ...

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sixteen circulated 1907-D dimes are listed on eBay at the moment, and several lower grade ones have sold for less than $5 each in the last few days.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I don't see any wagon trails in those pictures...why would a wagon want to go anywhere near that site? No bridge I suspect, and by 1907 the railroad and better roads should have been other options.
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

I used to own a 1907-D Quarter in PCGS 64 - never found an AU !!

I currently have two 07-D Dimes... Both PCGS : 45 & 58. Not that
    hard to locate really. My old set had a 55 & another 58.

Halves - have an XF PCGS 45 now... had an AU 58 before. Love the
    links to the other coins, especially the Pittman coin.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay all, been there and done that search.

First of all there is a road on the south rim that was used at that time. There is not access to the North rim (public).

I knew the story and did the exploration. There is only one, maybe two, places that the road came even close
    to the rim. Not saying a keg couldn't roll but very unlikely that it would have made it over the rim.

My information was that there was one keg of dimes that went missing. Not dimes and halves.

There is no metal detecting in any Federal Park. No go on that, but dimes would be sitting on the rocks or
    in the crevices and a metal detector would never work anyway. Much too steep.

There is no "dome" type structure. Land is relatively flat at the rims. The canyon is a gorge and damn deep.

It is not hikeable without a permit as I recall. It cannot even be floated as the river disappears beneath the
    canyon bottom for a while and pops up a bit downriver. There are NO trails that lead to the bottom. One would
    have to descend on ropes for the most part. I was in great shape when I did this trek back in 1989 and would
    have been happy to be able to get into the canyon and search below those two possible sites. But, no dime
    is worth the risk to a novice like me (on ropes).

The rock does not seem very stable, as compared to Yosemite, and it crumbles and fractures much too easily.
    Not the ideal place for repelling or climbing.

Back to the road. The north side had no public access anyway. The narrow guage was at the bottom and served
    those towns on the north side not those on the south side. The south side had fewer towns but they were large
    enough to have banks and would have had to have coinage brought to them someway. Personally I did not check
    into freight or stage routes to see how many times they ran or any such info. I just know that those folks up
    beyond the south rim had to have service to them.

The road itself is partly paved within the park but continues beyond the park as a dirt road. The part where there
    is any possibility of a keg going over the rim is dirt (was in '89). Parking and exploring at the two locations that
    were most likely was fun but fruitless. The rim is still many feet away from the road, perhaps 20 or more. The keg
    would have had to roll through grasses and bushes to make it over. Then, at those two points, the rim does not
    drop straight off but is quite gentle for some distance as it descends down, and was explorable for several hundred
    feet before it was too dangerous for me to continue down any further. My wife was with me and it was fun and
    just the thrill of the hunt was worth every hour we spent there.

We, too, talked to a ranger and he said that he had heard that several dimes were located by fishermen who managed
    to hike down to fish for the huge brown trout that inhabit the Gunnison's cold waters. However, he was fifteen or more
    years younger than I and I had the feeling he was just telling me a bit of local lore.

Well worth the time, a day or so, if you ever get out that way.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 1907-D dime in PCGS MS64. These now go for about $1,200 to $1,300 in auctions, with NGC coins being worth a little less. It's not clear to me why they lost 50% of their value over the past 6 years or so. I don't think the populations increased all that much.

• Options
    According to U.S. Geological Survey maps, where you turn off U.S. 50 onto Highway 347, you are at about 6,370 feet. By the way, the location of the old railroad through the area can be seen on the map south of U.S. 50, away from the National Park.

As you go north on Highway 347 you drive up onto the large dome. The campground where you first get near the edge is at 8,300-8,400 feet, but as you continue northwest along the park road the rim and the road eventually drop below 8,000 feet. The river level below the campground is at about 6,200 feet, though of course that also goes down as the river progresses through the park.

The railroad never ran through the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, and there were no towns down at the river level in the Black Canyon.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool story Bob! image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If any of the posters would open the electronic index to From Mine to Mint, they would learn that domestic shipments were by parcel post and packed in bags.
    From Mine to Mint written by Roger W. Burdette. LINKY
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    A narrow gauge RR did run through part of the canyon. Sorry capt. RR link

The info you refer to on the modern topo is the Standard gauge RR not the narrow gauge.

The large dome is nowhere near the canyon. Yes it is on the road between Montrose and Gunnison and is one long
    arse hill, but not at all near the canyon.

I spent several years there Capt. Lived in Grand Junction and was a road salesman and all this was my territory
    that I traversed once every six weeks.

The towns I am referring to are above the canyon, Hotchkiss, Paonia, etc. They were not served by either RR and
    were served by wagon and stage.

But, Capt, you are most probably right that it is BS. Wagons travel slow as do stages and the likelihood of an accident
    at just the right point near the rim would be most improbable. Even if a wheel broke loose, I would not envision
    such a problem that would send cargo off the edge. Not likely that a keg of coins would be on top of any cargo
    such that it could tumble off. I'm sure that it would have been very securely packed.

bob
  • Options
    I guess we are disagreeing as to what makes up the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. To me it is the rugged part that is now the National Park. However, there was indeed a train through the tamer upper canyon, from Sapinero down to Cimarron Creek, where it bailed out of the canyon to Cimarron.

See this under the Royal Gorge Route.

linky
  • Options

<< <i>I guess we are disagreeing as to what makes up the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. To me it is the rugged part that is now the National Park. However, there was indeed a train through the tamer upper canyon, from Sapinero down to Cimarron Creek, where it bailed out of the canyon to Cimarron.

See this under the Royal Gorge Route.

linky >>

Yes, to me the canyon is much larger than the National Park. A lot of it is now under Blue Mesa.

The train that was referred to had to be the narrow gauge back in '07 and it would have certainly been used. But,
    then perhaps they would have just shipped the coins on the RR through Glenwood Canyon and then via road from
    Grand Junction to Montrose. Then by wagon or stage to those remote locations that are accessed via the south
    rim. Who knows?
    I never found any reference to the lost dimes through any newspaper of the day or other local reference. So, let's
    just agree it is likely total BS. But, fun to think about!

bobimage
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1907-D dime is the single most overrated coin in the Barber dime series. While it is true that
    the coin is elusive in high AU it is readily available in 65+. Ten years ago the sheet gave gem price
    at $4500. It is now at $3100 and falling. Steve >>

The price drop is more related to most choice and gem MS Barber coinage only grinding lower since 1990. It's also true that over time more specimens of all
    dates have come to light. But finding a truly original gem 1907-d dime or quarter with clean cheek and fields is not easy....regardless of what the pops might say.
    The 1907-D half is not easy either in upper gem condition despite a high mintage. Most look like trains ran over them. Standards for MS65-67 Barbers also loosened
    considerably from 1990 to 2008....probably 2/3 to a full mint state point looser. That's another reason the pops have continued to increase in the upper grades.

MS64 better date Barbers (like the 07-d) have continued to drop in price because there's not enough set collectors who need them. At least 20 yrs ago their pops were quite
    small. The only set collectors that really push the market are the ones building top REG sets. So unless you have a nice MS66 or better 07-d dime, the demand is not really
    there anymore (pops large and possibly still growing....collector base stagnant or shrinking).
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    You have got to love the history and the story too.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file