Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Just got back from Cabo! Post some Mexican Bi-Metals.

Never seen one before, but I had 2 bi-metal 5-peso coins in my pocket upon return. Show me what you got!

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three Mexican bimetallic coins. This one's my favourite, because of the story behind it.

It's from an abortive attempt by Mexico to reintroduce silver to circulating coinage. This one's a 20 new pesos dated 1993; the 10 pesos from the same time period also had silver cores. The 50 peso silver-cored coins were not intended for circulation.

In the 1990's the Mexican peso was falling, fast. The hope was that inserting silver back into the coinage would help stabilize it. The bimetallic ring was presumably an attempt to prevent the coins being dumped wholesale into the melting pot once the intrinsic value of the silver core passed the face value of the coins. In the end, it didn't work; once intrinsic value passed face value, people simply punched out the cores and threw the rings away.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to give it to Mexico, they have hardly ever given up on keeping silver in coinage. But when your banks are about as corrupt as those in the USA it is a lost cause.

There are some very lovely 100 Pesos commemoratives from a few years ago that commemorated the Mexican States that also have silver cores, some did see light circulation but for the most part they went right into collections.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options