Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just a guide. Most of the drops are in RB coins (Is Wagner out of colorful MPL's?? LOL). Really, I don't know why they do this sometimes. For instance, there are only 3 1916 PR66RD's out there and I know they haven't changed hands. So why drop the price $5k? Seems pretty arbitrary to me. I can assure you that any properly graded PR66RD 1916 is going to sell for way more than $25k-$30k anyway.
    Doug
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Most of the drops and a few increases reflect the recent Heritage auction prices that were weak on alot of the dates. Increases in 1910 PR62BN and 1909 PR65BN with decreases in 1909 PR65RB, 1911 PR65RB/1911 PR66RB, 1913 PR65RB and a few others

I don't see any justification for the 1916's to get hammered because most of the grades and colors dropped did not recently trade. A 1916 in PCGS PR65RB traded at Bowers for $8,300 which was below the guide value of $9,500 so it dropped accordingly.

I am still dealing in PCGS graded BN and RB MPL cents, some with color but mostly just beautiful problem free coins which are difficult to find.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee Brian, I guess I can't get a rise out of you today .... image
    Doug
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

Price corrections are always a good thing to have now and then. Shakes out the impulsive money.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>but mostly just beautiful problem free coins which are difficult to find. >>

Agreed!

The guide generally reflects the average price for all coins certified in a certain grade, and makes speculative corrections about coins +/- 1 point. If the price of 65RDs falls dramatically, the speculation is that the value of a 66RD must also have decreased, as though it were some sort of impact on the market as a whole. While this may be true for everyday widgets, I certainly have a problem with the same logic applied to extreme rarities like PR66RD 1916 Lincolns.

As far as the coins that hold interest for me, I for one certainly don't think values have fallen at all. I think what Brian is saying above is that any time a truly beautiful, problem-free and properly graded (or under-graded) coin trades hands, the price sheet doesn't matter one iota, as the true value of the coin is determined by experts and connoisseurs much the same way value is determined for priceless works of art.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Price correction. The prices zoomed up over the past few years with no real justification to support the price increase. Brian and few others did a wonderful job of moving the prices up. I think the weekly listings of coins availible and the amount of post on this site had a lot to do with it. I would guess that just a small handful of collectors and dealers caused all of this price increases and now those that wanted in got what they wanted an now it is drifting back. The 100 year anniversary helped.

There is a wide gap IMO of nice mpl's and just plain mpl's and the prices are not in line IMO.

I am not saying this in a bad way. I think the players did a great job of marketing and bringing MPL's into the spot light. It is just hard to keep the candle buring for a long time. I think a lot of average mpl's were overpriced compared to the really nice ones and the owners of the average ones will be buried for a long time. A few of mine fit into that group but i really do not care cause i like them.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"