Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA Newp

Okay, so I take a day off from work and go to the ANA on the Friday. My plan is to walk around, kick a few tires, and keep my purchases small. Instead I run into this coin and blow my coin money for the next several months. It is a Newfoundland 1880 oval 0 cent in a PCGS MS-64RB holder. It is the former Wayne Palmer coin that sold in the September 2004 Heritage sale. It also was the last coin I needed to complete my Newfoundland cent collection in mint state.

The PCGS pop reports list this at 3/2, but I suspect that is wrong. I have seen one in 65RB and this one in 64RB and have never even heard of another that high. I think these two coins may have been submitted multiple times each, distorting the pop report. The owner of the 65RB and I were comparing notes at the RCNA last week and we both think that the two coins are close to a dead heat. The one below might even be the nicer of the two, but the small planchet flaw behind the bun probably dragged it down a little in the grading room.

I am over the moon about being its caretaker for a while.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments