Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French translation help....

thanks in advance....

i'm trying to find out more about this medal but i'm limited to english only.......can anyone help decipher that text for me?

thank you

www.brunkauctions.com

Comments

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    also, i wonder what the 'CR' on the obverse stands for?

COMPAGNIE ROYALE???

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Google Language Tools? You can translate the whole web page at once.

It's not a perfect translation but it will give you a good idea what it says.
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... let's see... something like...

<< <i>You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. >>

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    << You don't frighten us, English pig dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. >>

Now, that reminds me of a 1985 to London. There were many school buses of French kids touring England. All the little boys were holding the most insulting obscene signs up to the windows.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>also, i wonder what the 'CR' on the obverse stands for?

COMPAGNIE ROYALE??? >>

I'd say that's pretty certain.

Here's the translated page, hopefully.

PS- I noticed the site had an English language tab you could click, but it apparently only changed the category headings and such, and didn't translate the descriptions. Had to get "determined" and use the Google Language Tools mentioned by the member of that name (thanks for the tip- I had clicked on some Google translations before but it was nice to see the homepage for the Language Tools).

Oh, yeah- speaking of Monty Python and things in a similar comedic vein, I noticed the Google Language Tools offer the otpion of setting "Bork! Bork! Bork!" (Muppet Swedish Chef) or "Pirate" as your interface language. Both could be useful indeed. I do believe I'll set the Google preferences on the computer at work to "Pirate", just fer giggles.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.