Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Made up varieties on 2x2's just to sell coins?

Lately I have seen more and more raw Philippine coin 2x2's with new claimed undiscovered varieties noted on them that are in my opinion are bogus. The photos are poor or the coins are gunked in the PUP area, or this is the way they come, but they think its unusal. One cannot discern anything from the photos. The seller is hoping you will drink his Koolaide. I have seen this problem on the bourse floor too.

I just received one from a dealer's list. I've have bought from him many times in the past. It was a similar raw coin , claiming a variety (written on the 2X2) and it was not even there when I looked at it! A BU no less! Should have been very clear. I have seen nearly a dozen of that one variety.

Lots of times they are low grade coins. I suspect some sellers are making up these varieties so as to
get bigger dollars for a very circulated coin. People are believing whatever is written on the 2x2's.
There is one seller that I came across who had many many varieties listed I 've never heard of before,
after 34 years of studying these coins. I could not see anything in the poor photos.

Is anyone else seeing what I am seeing in any other series ?

Krueger

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Made up varieties on 2x2's just to sell coins? >>

Either to sell coins, or just somebody who likes making up varieties for his own amusement or optimism. I've seen it before, usually on Lincoln cents (minor errors so minor they weren't even worth mentioning, for example).

Then again, there is the possibility that your particular crackpot happens to be the guy who wrote the book (literally), but just hasn't found a publisher for it yet. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.