Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone here building this one?

Complete U.S. Type Set (1792-1964)

In my mind, this is the grand daddy of all type sets and one of the most interesting registry sets available. I have utter respect for anyone who sticks with the goal of trying to complete this one. As another forum member pointed out, I wish there was more commentary and photos attached to the 100+ sets published.

Feel free to post a link to yours and indicate when you started.

Comments

• I'm working on the Basic U.S. Design Set. Mine is "Scott Gardener's One With Everything." But, it's a much less ambitious 53 coin set.

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=53323

And, I'll admit that right now it's not my top priority set. I expect it'll be years before I get close to finishing it, as I'm concentrating right now primarily on gold and secondarily on Morgans. I like variety, though, and this set gives a home to just about everything. If I find a seated liberty quarter next year that I really like, it'll have a place in this set.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Collecting all Nolan Ryan PSA 10's
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I had mentioned a while back, I think the thread has been retired, that I was blown away with the High Desert collection.
    Looking at the registry today it looks like he's got competition......who's getting to 100% complete first!!??
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm working on the Basic U.S. Design Set. Mine is "Scott Gardener's One With Everything." But, it's a much less ambitious 53 coin set.

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=53323

And, I'll admit that right now it's not my top priority set. I expect it'll be years before I get close to finishing it, as I'm concentrating right now primarily on gold and secondarily on Morgans. I like variety, though, and this set gives a home to just about everything. If I find a seated liberty quarter next year that I really like, it'll have a place in this set. >>

Interesting -- looks like the person who got the 2009 award retired the set immediately after winning.
    Doug
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should change the type sets so that it raises or lowers you in the standings depending on what coins you put in the same slots as others. By this I mean it should count much much more to use the 1877 for the Indian Cent coin than say a 1904. And the 1885 for the Liberty Nickel. etc.

Anyone else like this idea???
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they should change the type sets so that it raises or lowers you in the standings depending on what coins you put in the same slots as others. By this I mean it should count much much more to use the 1877 for the Indian Cent coin than say a 1904. And the 1885 for the Liberty Nickel. etc.

Anyone else like this idea??? >>

I like it.

The harder the coin, the more the weight.

Makes sense.

• Ditto; a key date type set might rank lower by the current standards, but I'd much rather fill the Morgan dollar slot with a VF 1893s than an MS64 1881s. Certainly, the same goes for 1909 s VDBs vs. 1957.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • I agree that the complete U.S. type set 1793-1964 is the coolest of all the registry sets and it's been my collecting focus for some years now. You can see my progress below.

Who is John Galt?
  • Holy crappola! Wow!

SmallEagle, I was impressed just looking at the size of the collection, and then I noticed their grades... 67s, 68s... each coin in your collection would be a centerpiece in any other. It must be a beautiful assembly, and I'm sure I speak for many others here in asking, even begging, for pictures to go with the descriptions.
  • FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Holy crappola! Wow!

SmallEagle, I was impressed just looking at the size of the collection, and then I noticed their grades... 67s, 68s... each coin in your collection would be a centerpiece in any other. It must be a beautiful assembly, and I'm sure I speak for many others here in asking, even begging, for pictures to go with the descriptions. >>

Ditto! Absolutely stunning grades. Pics would be appreciated. Are you hitting the gold pretty hard these days??

• Wasn't High Desert 100% complete a while back? I haven't looked for a long time. There is really no competition. The new set that has the same completion is 10 points lower on average.

This was my set until my financial position changed and I sold. I harbor ambitions of trying again. This time I will go for lower grades. I will want most 1800s stuff in XF.

Anyway I do not think scarce date coins should have a bonus. That is for the series collector. Type is going for the finest grade of each type. If you want to pick scarce date coins fine, but they should be worth the same as common dates. IMHO. image