Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Weight values for new cards?

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm curious to know how PSA assigns a weight value to a card(s) newly accepted into an established PSA Registry set.

Does the person submitting the cert# suggest a weight value in the comments box? If so, how does one contemplate the weight value? I know of some cards from the mid-60s that are Topps issued and not in the Master Set of a particular player. Additionallly, these cards have low POPs in the grades I am aware of...therefore, I think these cards should be assigned a weight much higher than "1", but what would the weight be?

There is no question that these cards would be accepted by the Registry, the player's name, picture and stats are there.

Comments

• Options
    Actually,

The weight is established by PSA via collectors that they assign as well as PSA staff.
    I know for a fact that the weights assigned to the 84 and 86 football sets were established by a collector and PSA reviewed the weight distribution. In the 71 topps series, Raymond was not always a weight of 8 in fact for many years it was a 1, thru time as it was clear the card was almost impossible to find, it was then adjusted to a weight of 8 by PSA which is higher than most stars in the set to include Mays, Aaron, and Clemente.
    PSA reviews each set, while I don't agree with the weight they often assign, i.e. (55 topps low pop commons), ( 1957 topps #300 Garcia, #310 Surkont weight 1.5 mid series, yet pops are so low a psa 8 will set you back $1,000.00) they are not quick to realize the difficulty or importance of the card to the set.
    I would recommend that if you have a card within a set you find to be very difficult or feel its weight is not properly represented look at its comparitive card within the set and write PSA at "setregistry@collectors.com" and it will be forwarded to the proper people for review.
    Be patient as it can take upto 6 months for weights to be adjusted.

Hope that helps.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    yea tell me about it like the 55 topps psa 8 Keegan should have more weight

but then again what does weight matter...if you build a set with all 8s your GPA is 8

but if you mix psa 7s tru 9 in a set and you count the average yourself after the set is finished your GPA count is always higher then theirs...I dont get it image