Home Testing Forum
Options

down

Well, a dectuple of Half-Dimes arrived today, and they aren't the normal group of 10 that you would expect to find.
Only spanning 8 years, and 90% are the Capped Bust variety, I'd say that's pretty neat!
All coins are very original (mark-free, defect-free, uncleaned, etc; minus the example that's holed!), and range from VG/F through EF (give or take)
I was able to snag these at a recent auction for a super great price (not like that matters, but cost does matter to me!)
Some of these dates replace, and/or upgrade, prior Capped Bust Half-Dimes in my collection, and a couple are the last two dates I needed to complete my Date Set!
(I will take pics of the other four dates in this set (as promised) next week, as I leave for school tomorrow and won't be able to set anything up for a couple days after that).

I took all these pics using my DinoLite, as my simple digital camera can't zoom in close enough to capture all the detail, but the Dino did some very good work capturing the essence of these coins.
(I also used a light set-up, as to avoid using the super bright lights coming from the Dino, which helped give more accurate representations of surface color and detail)
The pics are still a bit blurry, and I will need to play with these coins and the Dino a bit to get higher quality pics, but for now these are what you get.

You can decide for yourselves what grades you would give these coins, and can post them here if you wish, otherwise it really doesn't make a difference to me.

ENJOY image

LM-5 (R1)
imageimage

LM-7 (R2)
imageimage

LM-3 (R3); typical die deterioration on the reverse, especially at the arrows and UNITED
imageimage

LM-10 (R1); I will need to retake the reverse pic, it's really bad at the moment
imageimage

LM-10 (R1); example #2
imageimage

LM-8.1 (R2)
imageimage

LM-8.2 (R2)
imageimage

LM-5 (R2); deteriorating reverse die (I'm uncertain whether this is known, common, or otherwise; experts please give me guidance)
imageimage

LM-1.1 (R5)!!!; early stages of a retained CUD on the reverse. The latest Half-Dime census only had 7 examples represented; this is also my favorite coin of the group
imageimage

1838 (#?#)
imageimage

Comments