Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Autograph Set

Jim Spence has an interesting item - a 1972 Topps baseball set with every card autographed. It's missing about 30 or so cards including both Clementes, Mays' and Munsons. The price...$4000. Like I say, interesting item but not one I would buy. I could put together a nice graded set for close to that price.
Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    John,

Where is it listed? I didn't notice it on his site.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    The thing with autographed sets --- if you're going to buy one, purchase an entirely autographed set. They do exist, and come up for auction every now and then. If you buy the set that is short 30 cards, you will never ever finish the set. It just works like that (esp. since the short cards are usually the toughest ones to find -- don't know about this set, but I would bet it is missing at least one of the Clementes -- if not more).

Putting together an autographed set is, in my mind, more difficult than a graded PSA 8 set. At least with the 8 set you can do it if you have enough money. But there are a few super collectors that have put together incredible runs of autographed set -- many of which have been sold and/or auctioned off in the past few years. I always think that one day I wouldn't mind adding a complete 1955 Bowman autographed set to complement my graded card set. Talk about two different markets, though!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Frank - It was included in their weekly update list they periodically email to those who signed up to receive it. If you want to receive their updates, send them an email and I'm sure they'll be happy to get you on the list.

M.S. - The set is indeed missing the Clementes and Munsons.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint