Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coming over to the dark-side for some help!!!

Ok...a co-worker bought this for me. ZERO idea what it is. I knew that all the experts on such material stay over on this side of the forum! image Sorry the pics are not great! image Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Don't have my books here at work but I can tell you that the coin is from the republic of Latvia (located on the Baltic Sea, shares a border with Russia, Estonia and Lithuania) and has a value of 1 Lats, which I believe was their base currency unit.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Latvia 1924 1 Lats KM # 7, .8350 silver, .1342 oz asw. Mintage 10, 000,000. XF value is $7 in my older Krause
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    First Republic of Latvia,(1918-1939) KM#7, a 2 year type. Mintage 10,000,000. Silver. It was the third largest denomination they issued, behind 2 Lati and 5 Lati.

I have always wanted to be able to help identify something for somebody, and all it took was good timing and a handy Krause image Edit: Of cource, it takes some time to type answers!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info!!! image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just an interesting little side note on these Latvian coins. When the USSR overran Latvia in 1940 they immediately called in all currency and coin and replaced it with their fiat rubles. Curiously enough the USSR authorities never did anything with these coins until the 1980's, having stored them all that time. Then in the mid 1980's they started selling off their stocks of them through their joint venture Mezhnumizmatika in Moscow, usually at prices much greater than catalog values.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21