Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Would this grade? (Round 2)

Edit - new coin added, seeking your advice

As long as I've hung out here at a TPG sponsored forum, I've still yet to submit any coins of my own for slabbing. I'm not slabophobic, I swear! image I'll probably be taking the plunge across the street soon though. At first I was thinking about resale potential, but after looking through some old keepers I'm more just curious to see how some of them would be treated.

So, here's a toughie... I'm not so sure about it. There's the spot on rev and planchet flaws/whatever on Albert's cheek and temple. Are those alone disqualifiers? If so, oh well, what do you think it would grade on the chance that it's not BB'd?

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC --- yep
    PCGS 50/50 chance

IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Both services tend to treat planchet flaws a little more gently on the older coins so I think it has a good chance.
  • Options
    I had a coin BBed by PCGS that had haymarking.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a coin BBed by PCGS that had haymarking. >>

Don, do you have a photo?
  • Options
    No photo. The coin was BBed about 3-4 years ago. It was a 17th C. 6d.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    any reputable TPG should slab that particular coin from that era, despite the planchet flaw. To do otherwise, would simply be a cash grab intended to generate a re-submittal.

Frankly, I would be very frustrated if a TPG bagged a coin like that for a flaw of that sort; considering both major TPGs gladly slab horribly cleaned colonial American crap that deserve to be classified as 'harshly cleaned' and 'altered surfaces'.

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys image
    Considering some of the things I've seen in NGC slabs, I'd be p~~d if it didn't grade.

Here's one that should definitely be able to grade. But the question here is, do you think it could go UNC?

The pic is miserable - this is a tiny highly reflective coin. The fields are immaculate (any "lines" in the pic are lighting artifacts) and fully reflective, but the strike is somewhat weak and the high points aren't fully silvered. Or else that is cabinet friction, but I'm not so sure. This is a super thin billon coin.

So whaddya think gradewise?