Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why don't people ever put words with thier registry?

What's the purpose of sharing a registry if you don't describe some history of the set like why it was assembled, how it was assembled, what are the goals etc..?

I was just going through a bunch of registry sets and few if any had any text at all and no photo's.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I was just going through a bunch of registry sets and few if any had any text at all and no photo's. >>

I was just cruising the registry as well, but the ones I look at the most have descriptions.
    Some don't, but 75% of those I do look at have some history of their coins.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time..........I know I am still working on the new images, and now you want verbage toooimage

• Options
    I dont even look at those sets anymore.

No pics, no write ups, no lookie from me.

I dont get taking the time to buy coins, list them for the world to see, then never fill in the blanks.

Pointless.

Write ups like this make it fun to check out the registries now and then.image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't peopel ever put words with thier registry?

Cuz they can't spell? image
  • Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    I just finished putting descriptions for all of my Lincoln cents and it took all day. It was a very tedious and painstaking ordeal. I guess that most people just don't care about putting descriptions or can't find the time.

I have not done a write up of the why, what and when of the set...I'll save that for a later dateimage If you want to check it out, it's the 'Classic set' in my sigline.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did. On most of my sets anyway.
  • Options
    Available free time is my problem. As I add coins, I try to put up photos and discriptions. My goal is to do it to all of my collection eventually. Just have not been able to do it as fast as I want.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the photos take forever to load one at a time, wish there was an easier way to do it. I am about 70 photos behind and that would take a while to load.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I think the exception maybe forum members but it seems that there are thousands of sets where people just insert the coins to the registry and thats it.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't peopel ever put words with thier registry?

Cuz they can't spell? image >>

I thought that was how you put the coin accent on people? image
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean like this: My almost complete set of 1965-Date circulation strike Roosevelt Dimes

BTW, after I sold this set, I aquired a 1982-No/P Weak Strike, and both pop top 2008-P/D's.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>You mean like this: My almost complete set of 1965-Date circulation strike Roosevelt Dimes

BTW, after I sold this set, I aquired a 1982-No/P Weak Strike, and both pop top 2008-P/D's.

Later, Paul. >>

Ye Paul, exactly like that. I want to see a little more passion out of this countries collectors. image
  • Options
    IM liquidating a set but every coin had some interesting info was well as how the set was started...mine is a long read...
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    Just for you, I went and put a description for all my sets. image I didn't do the coins as i'm thinking of photographing them all come winter time when its cold outside and i'm bored.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>Just for you, I went and put a description for all my sets. image I didn't do the coins as i'm thinking of photographing them all come winter time when its cold outside and i'm bored. >>

Links?
  • Options
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options

<< <i>One of my sets >>

Thanks, great write up. image
  • Options
    Here's a couple sets with great coins, pictures AND words! image

Sunnywood's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Toned Morgans

Cartwheel Cents Large Cents

It would be great if more of the top sets did the same.image
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a couple sets with great coins, pictures AND words! image

Sunnywood's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" Toned Morgans

Cartwheel Cents Large Cents

It would be great if more of the top sets did the same.image >>

First time I have looked at the Cartwheel Cents set. Fantastic layout, it's a shame that only 140 people have viewed it.
  • Options
    I rather like adding some sort of description. It's a bit like blogging, well aware that of the 2+ billion people out there who have Internet access, only a handful are going to read it. But, even so, it's a point of honor, and I'm going to do it. Thank you, loyal fans who read our text!

More importantly, picture vs. no picture will make or break a set entry. Why bother looking at lists of coins with neither text nor illustration? I can just randomly generate dates, denominations, and numbers between 1-70 and get the same experience.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>Why don't peopel ever put words with thier registry?

Cuz they can't spell? image >>

Becuz puters can't show emotion

I'll wait until I have completed the set before I will post words on it.

As for pics- well I have to work a deal with a few of our esteemdd resident photog buffs.......

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's the purpose of sharing a registry if you don't describe some history of the set like why it was assembled, how it was assembled, what are the goals etc..?

I was just going through a bunch of registry sets and few if any had any text at all and no photo's. >>

Better yet, why don't folks publish the content of their sets? That irritates the crap out of me to see a top set that you have no idea what's in it.
    The Presidential Dollar folks like to do this!

For the FDI Complete Registry, #2, #3, and #4 are "unpublished.
    For the Complete Variety Registry, #2 - #10 are "unpublished".

Whats the point?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're right.

Maybe tonite Ill take the time to resize and redo my images, and write some good descriptions. Hate to say it though...you'll have to go ATS to see the registry set since having a mix of pcgs and ngc slabs means it needs to be there.

Obsession Gold Dollars (currently number 8)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What's the purpose of sharing a registry if you don't describe some history of the set like why it was assembled, how it was assembled, what are the goals etc..?

I was just going through a bunch of registry sets and few if any had any text at all and no photo's. >>

Better yet, why don't folks publish the content of their sets? That irritates the crap out of me to see a top set that you have no idea what's in it.

Whats the point? >>

These are what I would call registry freaks who are paranoid that if someone knows which top coin they need they will hoard and overcharge for them knowing there is a serious buyer around the corner.
  • Options
    I have one set thats hidden but its because I only have 2 out of 21 and far from finished. Its not that I don't want anyone to see. Its just going to take me a while to do. As for the high ranking peoples with hidden sets, I don't understand why they do that.
  • Options

<< <i>I have one set thats hidden but its because I only have 2 out of 21 and far from finished. Its not that I don't want anyone to see. Its just going to take me a while to do. As for the high ranking peoples with hidden sets, I don't understand why they do that. >>

For sets like this I just look for goals or reasons for starting the set not necessarily info on each coin. Makes it more fun to watch a set grow over time.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Thanks for the push. I have a few other sets but the following four are the ones that really mean something to me so I have updated them with brief descriptions.

1844 Mint Set
    1944 Mint Set
    Millertime's Mercury Collection - Rattler
    Millertime's Complete Dime Set

Millertime
  • Options
    Wow! I just looked at the catrwheel set. That is a fantastic presentation. Maybe PCGS will someday give an award for the sets that have the best write ups, pictures, etc. I think that would motivate people to work more on these areas. I am sure Cartwheel would be a leading candidate for an award like that. Joe.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! I just looked at the catrwheel set. That is a fantastic presentation. Maybe PCGS will someday give an award for the sets that have the best write ups, pictures, etc. I think that would motivate people to work more on these areas. I am sure Cartwheel would be a leading candidate for an award like that. Joe. >>

I think they do but it's up to the viewers to write to BJ and suggest those sets for review just before the awards time.
  • Options
    Miller Time I like Butchs set.

My 1944 Mint Set just opened with a brief discrpction and new images.

Link now works. I closed rather than opened it. What a difference a check mark makes.

• Options

<< <i>Miller Time I like Butchs set.

My 1944 Mint Setjust opened with a brief discrpction and new images.

image >>

Sorry which set is it?
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    They'd probably get more words written about the sets if they made it a little easier to do that. At present, the only way I'm aware of to write descriptions is to open each individual coin page up and add the description.

Steve
    U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Miller Time I like Butchs set.

My 1944 Mint Set just opened with a brief discrpction and new images.

Link now works. I closed rather than opened it. What a difference a check mark makes.
    image >>

Thanks, it pales in comparison to yours, what a gorgeous set. I'd like to have everything except the Walkers at MS66 (Red, FS & FB) and the Walkers just need to be in the Rattler holders for now.

Millertime
  • Options

<< <i>They'd probably get more words written about the sets if they made it a little easier to do that. At present, the only way I'm aware of to write descriptions is to open each individual coin page up and add the description. >>

Steve there are two areas for descriptions as you said for the coin it's self, and also for the set done in the edit mode of the set.

• Options

<< <i>They'd probably get more words written about the sets if they made it a little easier to do that. At present, the only way I'm aware of to write descriptions is to open each individual coin page up and add the description.

Steve >>

Steve, I was thinking at least for the set description. If you edit the set there is an area to do this. I realize the pain of putting a description with each coin, although if one goes through the effort to register and share it I would imagine it should not be too much effort. image
  • Options
    PCGS already has a crapload of work on their hands keeping up with the registry set definitions as well as, say, the coin market itself. They'd pretty much have to hire someone else just to keep track of ever-changing descriptions. We can only ask for so much before they'd have to start upping their grading fees again to pay for all these extras.

But, we could ourselves informally award good descriptions, perhaps.

"Not necessarily; I could be arguing in my spare time..."
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS already has a crapload of work on their hands keeping up with the registry set definitions as well as, say, the coin market itself. They'd pretty much have to hire someone else just to keep track of ever-changing descriptions. We can only ask for so much before they'd have to start upping their grading fees again to pay for all these extras.

But, we could ourselves informally award good descriptions, perhaps.

"Not necessarily; I could be arguing in my spare time..." >>

The intention was not for PCGS to do anything the point was to if a collector goes through the effort to register their set they should put some kind of description with that set or with each of their coins.
  • Options
    Scott Gardener's Best Foot Forward

OK, I had to do it. I've posted some updated descriptions in this new showcase of all six of my ten best coins. (My other two are NGC-holdered.) I've updated descriptions, since my coin collecting plans have tidied up and shifted around a bit since I first jumped back in a little over a year ago.
  • Options
    All of my sets have the history of from whom/when I acquired each coin. I'm working on photographing the coins. Lincoln's #45, Buffalo's #4, Merc's #10, Standing Liberties, Walkers, as well as 1916-1925 Date sets.

I can certainly understand how pictures make a huge difference.

Garrow King
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is very tough to keep up with all the stuff in sets. My most important sets have photos and some of those have some notes. I think photos are more impoartant than the notes. A picture says 1000 words as they say. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭
    PCGS does recognize photos and descriptions of sets by awarding "Best Exhibited Set" of the Registry. One or two sets are chosen every year.
  • Options

<< <i>All of my sets have the history of from whom/when I acquired each coin. I'm working on photographing the coins. Lincoln's #45, Buffalo's #4, Merc's #10, Standing Liberties, Walkers, as well as 1916-1925 Date sets.

I can certainly understand how pictures make a huge difference.

Garrow King >>

Taking photo's is tough, I like it when a nice verbal description of the coin is given with maybe a reason why it was chosen over others.
  • Options
    I should say that modern proof sets don't really need individual descriptions as most PR DCAM coins look all the same. This is this kind of set I would expect a set description saying what it is about the series that the owner likes.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Whats the point? >>

Lee,
    I tried to push them all to open....but they did not want to follow us!
    .....Oh well......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim..........
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!