Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Today's NEWP - 1919 Portugal 4C - PCGS MS64

I really like obverse design. A beautiful portrait and nothing else, while the reverse is all business.

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The four centavos from 1917, 1919 are some of my personal favourite world coins, I literally have dozens of them in mint state. I have one set of them that is a die break progression set, you can see the cracks literally getting larger throughout the set of them.

The design is simple but effective, a lovely young girl representing the new Portuguese republic coupled with an unusual denomination. Fortunately many of them never circulated because of the then chaotic financial system in post WWI Portugal, so it is possible to find many very nice examples of them. The young miss on this coin also made an appearance on several successive Portuguese coins including the 5 centavos, 10 centavos, 20 centavos and the 10 and 20 centavos from Cape Verde Islands.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Nice post, SaorAlba. The die cracks you mention would be very interesting to see.
    I have a few of these too. Here's another one of mine that has a blueish tone to it:

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Great example! One of my all time favorite designs image
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will post mine sometime, I am in the middle of a major website move.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21