Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Has this ever happened to you with PSA?

redlegsredlegs Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

On my last submission my 1978 Pepsi-cola full carton panels I got a PSA 9 for my Johnny Bench and a PSA 10 for my Tom Seaver. They were both ruined during shipping. It was not the fault of the USPS. I do not feel that PSA did a good job in encapsulating them. During shipping these cards bounced around inside the holder like pinballs. You barely have to tilt the holder and the cards move freely back and forth. Both cards now have huge corner dings on them and are worthless. There had only been a few of these cards ever graded. The only other Seaver was a PSA 7 and the Bench was the first ever graded. I sent an email to PSA customer service with pictures of my cards and but didn't receive a response. I then sent an email directly to Joe Orlando and am waiting a response. In addition, although it doesn't matter now, they were both mislabled as "hand-cut"

Comments

• Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    wow, I've never heard of this type of thing from PSA before... I hope they take resposibility for the poor holdering and make it right for you in some way. They can't replace these cards, but can offer something and acknowledge the error on their part in shipping these out like this.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Man that sucks! I am sure that they will do the right thing as far as the money goes, but it will be almost impossible to replace.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    I have seen this type of thing too many times! image
  • Options
    mariotownmariotown Posts: 508 ✭✭
    I once had a card pinched in the holder. It looked like the card had either been slightly askew when it was sealed or it was jostled hard during shipment and it slipped outside the recessed area. I hate those cellophane things they use on odd-shaped cards it makes it so the card can slide around too easy. In any case, the card was clearly damaged by the holder itself. The card was also very limited like yours.

Kevin
    I collect PSA 10 Cal Ripken, Jr. cards.
  • Options
    I truly hope that PSA will do the right thing. My email to Joe Orlando was on July 25th. I hope I hear from him soon. What I hate was that both of these cards were for my personal collection and were going right to my Bench and Seaver master sets.
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    redlegs,

I know you're upset, but posting here won't help you... sending an email to Joe O. on 7/25 when he is out of town at the National is going to take a while to get a reply. I would guess he might even be taken a few days off after working a full week or more?

He is very good about fixing problems that are PSA's fault, try calling 800-325-1121 and asking for Joe O. ...leave a message and he will call you back. You might want to think about what will make it right for you until you speak with him.

Best of Luck!

Mike

PS: PM me if you want another option.

• Options
    Thanks Mike. I anticipated a wait time to get a response. I thought that an email to Customer Service and to Joe would make more sense so I could actually attach pictures of both of my cards so they could view them. The main purpose of my post was to see how PSA handles these situations and if anyone had experienced similiar issues with some of the larger holders that PSA offers.

Phil
  • Options

Phil,

I am not sure if this has been handled yet since I cannot recall if I received your email (some emails do not get through because of the filtering program in the company system and the last two weeks have been hectic).

If you are still waiting for a response, please give me a call next week at the toll-free number or just send the cards back to my attention with a note summarizing the issues.

Take care,

Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    dude,
    sorry that happend to you,
    seems like it was bound to happen though.

psa will do right by you & i applaud the way you've handled this publically.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Thanks Joe. I appreciate it.
    Phil

<< <i>Phil,

I am not sure if this has been handled yet since I cannot recall if I received your email (some emails do not get through because of the filtering program in the company system and the last two weeks have been hectic).

If you are still waiting for a response, please give me a call next week at the toll-free number or just send the cards back to my attention with a note summarizing the issues.

Take care, >>

• Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Man, that is one long plastic holder.

Sorry this happened to you. I've had some corner dings happen to some Kahn's Football cards that are oversized too. The PSA holder
    doesn't fit the cards tightly. Also if a card is on the thin side, the card will slide under the gasket.

Since PSA grades just about every size card/ticket/coin these days, it's got to be difficult to have holders that fit every issue snuggly.

Looks like Joe O. is on the case!

+1 for Joe sighting!
  • Options
    Its great to see Mr. Orlando on these boards! image

Hope all works out for you...
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭
    You may want to work out an agreement BEFORE sending the cards back. Once they have them in hand they have the upper hand. Not saying anything dubious will happen, but it pays to CYA in a situation like this.
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Hi Phil,

Are those worth anything graded or are they something you just like to collect?

My reason for asking is that I have a sealed pack of them that a Pepsi salesman (neighbor) gave me years ago.

They're sealed but some of the plastic is loose. It looks like a stack of 25 to 50 of them. Could it be that this is a complete set? or 2?

The corners all look to be sharp from what I can tell from just looking at the pack.

Here's a few pics .... I'd appreciate your input ... or anyone else's for that matter!

PoppaJ

imageimageimage

• Options
    PoppaJ,

Their worthless... please send them to me and I'll send you something back very cool image

Mike
  • Options
    PoppaJ,

They are by no mea rare, however, they are condition sensitive due to the colored borders. They are very tough to find without corner touches. I submitted both the Bench and the Seaver for my master set collections. A complete set consists of 40 cards. The set contains 25 Reds players and 15 stars from other teams.

Phil
  • Options

<< <i>PoppaJ,

They are by no mea rare, however, they are condition sensitive due to the colored borders. They are very tough to find without corner touches. I submitted both the Bench and the Seaver for my master set collections. A complete set consists of 40 cards. The set contains 25 Reds players and 15 stars from other teams.

Phil >>

///////////////////////////

Hi Phil,

I opened the pack and there are 40 different ones, so it must be the complete set.

Except for the top one, Sparky Anderson, and the last one Richie Zisk, they all have extremely sharp corners. The Anderson and Zisk have an extremely tiny ding on just the top two corners.

I see that there are only 2 PSA 7s and 1 PSA 8 in the 1978 Pepsi-Cola Superstars Carton Insert population. I wonder how many of the 146 1978 Pepsi-Cola Superstars Hand Cuts are supposed to be in the regular Insert pop?

Since I have the complete set, and IMO most are gems, do you think it would be worth it to sub them on the next $4.50 special or not? Or, as a complete set, would it be something to give away with a contest for the board? I know a lot of the guys like items from the 70s.

Thanks,
    PoppaJ
  • Options

<< <i>PoppaJ,

Their worthless... please send them to me and I'll send you something back very cool image

Mike >>

//////////////////////////

Hi Mike,

Depending on Phil's reply to my last post, you might just get the whole set image

PoppaJ
  • Options
    I would submit the nicer ones. There are many collectors of Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, Yaz, and Reggie Jackson. This set includes all of them. You would get a nice return on your investment if you got PSA 9 or 10 examples of each.

However, I would be very concerned that your cards might get damaged if they are slabbed with the same type of holder as mine were.
  • Options
    Thanks Phil,

Maybe I'll wait to see how Joe remedies your situation. Hopefully a better way to keep them from moving around in the holder will result from all of this. I hope it's not at your expense!

Please keep us updated!

PoppaJ
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Any update on this?
  • Options
    PSA handled my issue very promptly and professionally. I received an apology and will be sent a nice voucher to compensate me. It was explained that my cards never should have been graded due to the lack of an appropriate holder. In the future, full panel cards from this set will no longer be graded.

Phil
  • Options
    Nice to read that you were taken care of, Phil

Mike
  • Options
    PoppaJ.

I guess REDLEGS reply from PSA answers your should I get them graded ?????

SKY
    The Sky Pilot