Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

800+ sets registered- How many do you have?

Is this incredible or what? 800+ sets registered now!! Can you say - Infectious ?!!! I started my participation on the set registry with just the 1969 Topps set (my lifelong passion) way back in the days when 69 Topps was the only post 50's set listed there. I thought it was an idea whose day was coming. An interactive, public forum for sharing your accomplishments and love for the hobby with others. This particular board has only accelerated my enthusiasm.
I will profess to being locked in to the long term idea of building sets and enjoying this comradery. I have a pretty nice set run from 1977 thru 1981 Topps and have begun to dabble on the registry on these sets also. Officially I find myself registered for 7 sets and part ownership in an 8th; thats right a shared set with another collector! Its just good fun. I stay within my budget and plod away picking up odds and ends.
I wonder about you others out there with multiple sets. Do you have a main focus? Do you treat them with even handed attention? How many are you participating in on the registry? There's got to be more of us out there to have exploded the number to 800+, most of those being registered in the last 12 months.
I see 1000 sets very soon and 5000 in just a few years. THIS IS PERHAPS THE SINGLE BEST THING TO HAPPEN IN OUR HOBBY ! Thank you PSA (Shameless plug!). I am sure I speak for many of us here.
RayB69Toppsimage
Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!

Comments

• Options
    By the way, even my daughter Janelle is a multiple set collector. She paces the 1993 Bowman set at the top (Big Yankees Fan) and has added 1976 Topps because she wanted to collect vintage like her Dad. Needless to say it is great to be able to share this experience with her.
    Look forward to hearing from you all.
    RayB69Topps
  • Options
    carkimcarkim Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    RayB,

Nice Post...Heart warming as well.

Now to answer your questions.

I currently have 13 sets listed on the registry.

Of course my main focus is my 1974 Topps Baseball Set.

Do you treat them with even handed attention?

NO.

My sets listed in order of Highest attention to Lowest.

1974 Topps Baseball
    1976-77 Topps Basketball (set #1)
    1972 Topps Baseball
    1972 Topps Football
    1970 Topps Baseball
    1974 Topps Traded Baseball
    1971-72 Topps Basketball
    1972-73 Topps Basketball
    1973 Topps Baseball
    1974-75 Topps Basketball
    1976 Topps Baseball
    HOF set (By-Product of my other sets)
    1976-77 Topps Basketball (set #2) For Sale on eBay... Shameless Plug

Carlos
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    i have a whopping two sets registered: '53-54 parkhurst hockey, which i'm real serious about, and a baseball hof set, which was more like registry/scanning practice for me. i'd love to devote more effort and money to that set, but right now it's a low hobby priority. i'm also waiting for psa to add the '10-11 c56 hockey set, which i'm also serious about but which has taken a back seat to the '53s, and the '59-60 parkie set, which i'm thinking about working on.

anyway, i agree that the growth of registry is amazing. i'm sure some of the 800+ sets are much like my pathetic baseball hof collection, but that's still an impressive number. the registry is indeed great for the hobby - and probably pretty good for psa, too.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    As soon as they add 82F. . .and I get a few more cards early next week, I'll have six in progress on the registry

Like Carlos, these are in order of priority. . .with rough percentages. . .
    72T (PSA8)
    75T (PSA8)
    59T (PSA7)
    79T (PSA8)
    80T (PSA8)
    82F (PSA9)

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    The sets I have registered in order of priority are:

All are complete except the 1956 and 1957. The problem is the prohibitive cost of grading out a set. My main focus is to locate PSA 8 upgrades for the raw cards that are less than NM/MT
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    My son and I are partners on our sets but he does not have a lot of time at the present to put into the set. Our main goal is to complete our 1953 Topps set in PSA 8. As we grade our stash of 53's and upgrade our set I have listed our duplicates and extras as a #2 set of 53's - this is not really a set or at least did not start out as a set. I have also started listing our 1953 Bowman Color as we get them graded and pick up one as money permits. If you have any nice 53's to trade or sell e-mail me at rheck@gte.net - - - Rick Heckler
    "I CAN'T COMPLAIN BUT SOMETIMES I STILL DO" - SMOKY JOE WALSH - - -
    Always looking for 53 Topps Baseball and "stuff"
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Yup...

This is definitely an obsession. I think that since I used to spend hours and hours pouring over the baseball stats as a kid, that watching the stats change on the registry has become just as much fun!

Baseball sets I'm working on are:

72 Topps
    70 Topps
    72 O-Pee-Chee
    67 Topps
    68 Topps
    69 Topps
    84 Donruss
    71 Topps (not on registry yet)
    73 Topps (not on registry yet)
    74 Topps (not on regsitry yet)
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Hey Ray, I think the set registry is great, I always liked the idea of a complete set with certain standards or minimums. You noted that you share one set with someone, how does the concept of a set with shared companies sound ? You could have a set with cards from the "big 3" only. You might like a set with PSA and some from CSA,CTA or USA also. Perhaps a set with the highest value one-third graded and the cheapest two-thirds self graded.
    Maybe a listed/registered/cataloged set idea with some shared grading might be fun and much more economical. This is not meant to be sarcastic ( which I am often ) but just a question as to what you and many other collectors think about a " listed" set which is not entirely PSA. Thanks.image
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Nice post Ray! Only my 1968 and 1969 sets are on the registry. I am also working on the 1975 Topps mini set. As I mentioned before, the camaraderie is just as important as the collecting itself. I do wish though that there was a way to add SGC, BGS, GAI cards, etc. with no weighted credit.
    Ron Sanders Jr.
  • Options
    Praise to all !! This post has truly brought out responses from this boards quality people. I am an will continue to be happy to call you all hobby camrades. Whether we are deep into very impressive sets or scratching out the beginnings of another, there is no better place for instant feedback than this very place. Keep those posts coming!
    RayB69Topps
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Ron and Ray,

I just sent PSA 126 1969's for grading. The majority will be 8's but I hope to get a handful of 9's. If they all go 8 or 9 that would put me at around 88% complete. Ron do you know that if you eliminate the Mantle from the White Letters we have almost 90% of all the 8's graded.
  • Options
    my one and only set, a 1965 Topps, was started in January when there were 719 sets registered. So in a matter of 1 3/4 months is almost gained another 100 sets. I know for my set, the 1965, there are about 4 more people added their set since I started.
    Zach
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Ray you probrably have the others!
  • Options
    I have 3 sets listed right now and will be adding a couple more this year.

When I listed my 71T set, just a couple of months ago, there were 8 sets listed. As of today, there are 18. The growth and excitement of the registry is nothing short of phenominal.

Who can predict by the end of the year? 2000 sets might just be on the low side.
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I have cards listed in several different sets (eight)
    but am really only focusing on collecting ONE main set
    for now, and of course it is the 64 Topps Giants Set.
    imageimage
  • Options
    bleacherbumbleacherbum Posts: 113 ✭✭
    Ray,
    Excellent post. The 1963 Topps set was my no. 1 priority, but I decided to sell it and focus on 1970's Topps sets. My new focus is:

1. 1971 Topps PSA 8
    2. 1972 Topps PSA 8
    3. 1975 Topps PSA 8
    4. 1970 Topps PSA 8
    5. 1974 Topps PSA 8
    6. 1978 Topps PSA 9 (not yet on registry)
    7. 1979 Topps PSA 9 (not yet on registry)
    8. 1973 Topps PSA 8
    9. 1976 Topps PSA 8 (not yet on registry)
    10. 1977 Topps PSA 8(not yet on registry)

Steve
    "Matt & Brett's Collection"