Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Interest in Steve Van Buren Player Set development

I am interested in participating in a Steve Van Buren Player Set. However, I cannot make to request myself to PSA because one needs to own at least 5 cards in the set in order to do so (I own 3). Can one with at least five of his cards be so kind as to make the set request right here: http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/mysetregistry/newsetrequest.aspx

Van Buren is worth collecting because the Philadelphia Eagles Running Back is a Hall Of Fame Member, was the NFL's All-Time Leading Rusher for years, and won two NFL Titles with his team. It's surprising that not only does this set not yet exist, but it appears that there isn't even a pending request for this player set. There are sets and set requests for players of less prominence and importance.

Finally, I believe that there are seven cards for this Set Composite, making for a concise and collectible player set which includes some popular, valuable, and visually appealing cards. Please post a message on this thread if you feel that I have made an omission, or if there are any other oversights or suggestions.

1948 Bowman Steve Van Buren
1948 Leaf Steve Van Buren
1949 Leaf Steve Van Buren
1950 Bowman Steve Van Buren
1951 Bowman Steve Van Buren
1952 Bowman Large Steve Van Buren
1952 Bowman Small Steve Van Buren

Finally, if one owns the requisite five cards, I can gladly do the research to assign Grade Weights to each card based on PSA 8 values as stated in the latest Sports Market Report.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keith, it is nearly immposible to find the '52 Large card so that might turn some prospective collectors off with this set idea although its a great idea imo.

There are alot of player sets missing last time I checked- Frank Gifford being one of them...
  • Options
    If it is a basic player set, either the large or small would qualify (i.e., you wouldn't need to have both to have a complete set, similar to our beloved HOF RC set). However, if you are going to do a master set and include both large and small from the '52 Bowman issue, wouldn't you also need to include all of the variants from the '48 Leaf set (green, blue & yellow jerseys, if I'm not mistaken) in order to have a true master set?

Jasen
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it is a basic player set, either the large or small would qualify (i.e., you wouldn't need to have both to have a complete set, similar to our beloved HOF RC set). However, if you are going to do a master set and include both large and small from the '52 Bowman issue, wouldn't you also need to include all of the variants from the '48 Leaf set (green, blue & yellow jerseys, if I'm not mistaken) in order to have a true master set?

Jasen >>

Unfortunately, PSA still does not recognize the Blue Jersey variation of the VanBuren '48 Leaf...
  • Options
    Good insights, Paul and Jasen.

The subject set sought would likely be named the "Steve Van Buren Basic Set", parallel to the set most similar to it, the "Sammy Baugh Basic Set", in which I also participate. The Baugh Basic Set Composite looks like this:

Set Composition
    Issue Card# Weight
    1948 BOWMAN SAMMY BAUGH 22 5.00
    1948 LEAF SAMMY BAUGH 34 10.00
    1949 LEAF SAM BAUGH 26 4.00
    1950 BOWMAN SAMMY BAUGH 100 1.00
    1951 BOWMAN SAMMY BAUGH 34 1.00
    1952 BOWMAN LARGE SAMMY BAUGH 30 3.00
    1952 BOWMAN SMALL SAMMY BAUGH 30 1.00

So it looks like PSA is cool with having both '52 Bowmans in a "Basic". The POP report shows 73 BL Van Burens (24 in PSA 7+), and 69 BS Van Burens (34 in PSA 7+), so both appear collectible and attainable, just not easy.

Perhaps 1948 Leaf Van Buren jersey variants should be lumped together with one grade weight for expediency and simplicity since they're variants of the same card. (I could understand a viewpoint to the contrary with regard to this). Here's why - reading the POP report, it's possible that some '48 Leaf Van Burens were graded before being differentiated between jersey types, which was eventually done to Van Burens graded later (if my interpretation is correct). That's why I've sided with "lumping" '48 Leaf variants.

Whew! It can be less-than-simple to submit for a 7-card Player Set. I'm having enough trouble getting consensus for the All-Time Phillies Set Composition, which is another story. It's best to get these right the first time, so I appreciate the help so far. At this point, the 7 Van Buren cards proposed in the opening post still appear to be the top candidates to me. Detractors are welcome as don't purport to be any kind of expert.

Frank Gifford Player Sets went online July 1st.

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    I would love to help out..but do you see a problem here?

There is also this exhibit you could include:
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I was watching something on NFL network on the top 10 eagles of all time and Van Buren was #1 on the list, followed by Reggie WHite and Bednarik.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    During his era, he was said to be the greatest back of all-time....not a too bad claim to fame!
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold that Tiger!
    Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Ryan, very nice. Each Van Buren scan that you graced us with presents well, especially the 1948 Bowman - the black & white card framed with SGC's black paper looks museum-like! The four Exhibit RBs are a nice surprise - the poses look so fresh after looking at the more mainstream Leaf and Bowman football issues for a while. (You can get an SGC Player Set Registry going by e-mailing Sean at sskeffington@sgccard.com).

Dave, I'd very much like to see NFL Network's Top 10 Eagles whenever its on again. But much like the ending to a good movie, you've ruined it for me by revealing the Top 3. image

So the hunt is on - I'm still looking for someone with the requisite five regular-issue Steve Van Buren cards in PSA holders (see list in my first post above) in order to make the Player Set request. It's encouraging to see that there's support for this, as well as appreciation for the talent of this great Philadelphia Eagle. This seems to be a popular era to collect among football cards, and it is undoubtedly my favorite collecting era. -Keith
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    BDB,

Nice cards. Van Buren and Bednarik are two of my favorites.

aconte
  • Options
    A collector whom has five or the seven (or eight) below Steve Van Buren cards is still sought. That is the minimum number of cards PSA requires to make a Player Set Request. I've now assigned weightings as follows after the card name. To do so, I had to work within PSA guidelines for doing so - using the SMR value of the card in PSA 8. I can't use VCP or simply what I would like the weights to be. Note that there's only one SMR price for both recognized 1948 Leaf variants:

1948 Bowman Steve VAN BUREN 3.00
    1948 Leaf Steve VAN BUREN Green Jersey 10.00
    1948 Leaf Steve VAN BUREN Yellow Jersey 10.00
    1949 Leaf Steve VAN BUREN 3.00
    1950 Bowman Steve VAN BUREN 1.50
    1951 Bowman Steve VAN BUREN 1.00
    1952 Bowman Large Steve VAN BUREN 8.00
    1952 Bowman Small Steve VAN BUREN 2.00

I ran with Jasen's reminder (thanks) about the one PSA-recognized variation on the 1948 Leaf, the Yellow Jersey, making it an 8-card Set Composite. As far as Basic vs. Master, it appears that this meets the definition of a "Basic Player Set". Please reply or make the Set Request if you have the five cards to do so. The help will be appreciated.
  • Options
    Here's a sign that - at least in the world of Eagles' Player Sets - the apocalypse is upon us:

Two newly-branded Kevin Kolb Player Sets exist - a Basic and a Master.
    No Player Set exists for Steve Van Buren - a HOFer and once the NFL's All-Time Leading Rusher.
    In Kolb's NFL career, he has passed for 2 TDs and thrown 7 INTs.
    There is not even a waiting list request pending for a Steve Van Buren Player Set.
    One week after going online, there are exactly zero registrants in both Kevin Kolb Player Sets.
  • Options
    Keith - Someone "lent" me ownership of a couple Van Burens and I combined them with my own to have five. I then submitted the set request with the weightings just as you outlined earlier. Hopefully that will get the set going for this LSU and Philadelphia Eagle legend.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad this set is started. I have only 4 van buren cards.
    I understand that many fellow collectors are into the leaf variations. That should be kept to a more serious set (master).

Hopefully we can get most or all of the vintage players cards into player sets. I think I have requested about 10 -15 sets.

Just picked up my last bob hayes card last night for 100% completion for him. Love the player sets as much as the RC HOF set.

Some players don't even have 5 cards. Does Arnie Weinmeister have more than 3?

Keep requesting sets guys...as I don't have the require 5 for many of the players.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Sam, thank you very much for making the Steve Van Buren Player Set Request to PSA. With PSA having the proposed Grade Weights, hopefully that expedites the conversion.

Did you request the version with the eight Van Burens, which would include both the 1948 Leaf Yellow and Green Jersey variations? As you can tell from my earlier posts, I didn't know for a while if it was best to submit with these two variations or not.

Yes Jay, according to VCP it looks like HOFer Arnie Weinmeister only has three (regular-issue) cards.

It sounds like the mission of this thread has been a success then. We got the Steve Van Buren Player Set requested, and we had the bonus of Big Daddy Bowman gracing us with the presence of his nice Van Buren collection.

Great job, fellas. -Keith

• Options
    I did a cut and paste from your earlier post with the eight cards. I hope that works for you.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    That ought to work out just great! Thanks again.
  • Options
    Well, Keith... it is now September 1st and as I look at the latest list of upcoming player sets I see Rickey Jackson and Steve Van Buren (both of whom I requested on the same day) at the top of the list ready to go next. Your Van Buren set is finally almost up. Hope you still have your cards ready to go!

Sam
  • Options
    I own one Van Buren card. I would love to own more.
    Some are impossible to find in high grade.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Rich,

That is a sweet Van Buren card! Nice!

aconte
  • Options
    It looks like the Steve Van Buren Player Set is online. At last check, there were more Kevin Kolb Player Sets registered than Van Buren Sets.

It appears many would agree that Van Buren is truly an upper echelon Hall Of Famer.
    -NFL's Career Leader in Rushing Yardage upon retirement
    -NFL's Career Leader in Rushing Touchdowns upon retirement
    -2-time NFL Champion with the Philadelphia Eagles

Of course that doesn't mean much, Kolb is starting Sunday against the Packers. LOL. It's funny how the phenom with "potential" often gets more attention than the history of the game does....and I'm a young guy. C'mon, why no Brent Celek Player Set already? image

Van Buren is also one of the older surviving HOF members, 89 years old and living in Lancaster, PA. Here's my Big Boy:

• Options
    Thats a great looking card for a PSA 6 Keith, seriously. Most SVB's are off center.

It was great meeting you at the national man, even if for an hour!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭

<< <i>Rich,

That is a sweet Van Buren card! Nice!

aconte >>

Thank you sir.