Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ICG HAD AT LEAST ONE GOOD IDEA...

Personally not a fan of IGC, but always have liked it when a company takes a risk trying something new. ( Iwish PCGS would try this). I do personally like the fact they used this holder combination with the black background. The coin in the holder is a poor example, but this black background IMO looks fantastic with gold and silver coins. Then top it off by doing something interesting with the cert for a winning combination. "I know its buy the coin not the holder" adding an interesting holder can never hurt if it is done well....

Comments

• Options
    MoneyLAMoneyLA Posts: 1,825
    there is nothing wrong with the idea of improving the display quality of your collection. as long as the "display" does not add to the cost, I am all in favor of these improvements.

but if a grading services uses these changes in the display to increase the cost of the slab, then never mind... I'll suffer with the old way of doing things.

but yes, I like the concept of the black background for silver.
  • Options
    EarlycoinEarlycoin Posts: 110 ✭✭

<< <i>but yes, I like the concept of the black background for silver. >>

I agree! image
    Earlycoin

My E-Bay Stuff
  • Options
    I also have to agree, except that ICG isn't the one that needs to do this. I rather like the clear holders--certainly a lot better than the white ones NGC uses and ANACS used to use. I do think that NGC's holder would look a lot better if the white part were matte black instead--it would help the coin stand out better. In the case of ICG, going from clear to solid is kind of a step backwards, since we're seeing a growing push towards ways of making the edge more visible. I suspect NGC's current wider circle with prongs approach would look better in black than white; as is, it makes smaller coins look dinky. But again, even the older solid holders have the same problem. Morgan dollars look good in older NGC holders and great in the newer visible-edge ones, but a type I gold dollar looks downright dinky.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    ....but if a grading services uses these changes in the display to increase the cost of the slab, then never mind

Prices increase whether or not they change the slab.
    Just the price of doing business & the price of playing the game.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually the ngc white fang holder works out pretty well with T1 gold dollars. With the older holder, they sat deep into the well and it was difficult to see the coin. The white fang lets you see reeding, and the rims much better. I do like it. The only drawback is the difficulty to get a nice looking photograph. One forum member 'cleaned up' an image of my 60D and the improvement was incredible.

In my opinion though, the best holder for a presentation standpoint is the original PCGS rattler.