Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Great Mint State Lib Nickel Auction

The 16 PCGS MS65 Lib nickel auctions that finished yesterday on eBay went great. I calculated the total grey sheet offer price to be $8,100. The total realized price I calculated as $10,627 or a 31% premium. No single auction went so high as to distort this comparison. Good mix of buyers including at least one regular on this Board that I know of. I don't think Parinno got anything. In my view the highlights were the 87 at $1,051, the 08 at $1,025, the 09 at $1,085, and the 06 at $736.

This is a great series. Even at a premium to grey sheet, a great gem and gem+ set can be assembled for under $50,000, and an MS64 set at a small fraction of that. If well selected these coins are beautiful, and the design is great. They are classic, historic, and romantic (I know I'm sounding like Scott Travers). When a single low pop Buffalo can cost $20K+ in MS65 these pieces look like a great series to collect (yes, I love Buffalos as well).

Cheers

Greg Samorajski

Comments

• Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    Greg;

Great summary of the auction action. This seller already sold a few other Liberty Nickels in MS65 on eBay (a few weeks ago). I was just watching myself out of curiosity, but if I had had the money come available this week I wouldn't have had any trouble bidding the final amounts on most if not all of these auctions. I noticed that one of the few 1883 N/C pieces graded MS67 is going to be auctioned soon on Teletrade; what are your thoughts if any on that auction? Unfortunately there is no scan of the coin, so I have no idea if it is nice looking or ugly. I have seen one of these before (several years ago) and while it was technically nice it had little eye appeal IMO, I would have saved the money and purchased a MS66 with better eye appeal.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched them as well ( I only counted 15). I had a comparison to CW Trends, 5 were below, and the other 10 above, some well above. All together this is a 29% premium over trends. The 1887, 1908 and 1909 were the big hitters in this sale.

I will stay with that "small fraction" set in MS64.

Edited to ad: The teletrade sale now has images. Hard to judge by the pics, looks well struck with some typical die cracks.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Dbldie:

Love your site. My error, there were only 15 in the auction. I think a set of 64s can be wonderful. If well selected they can look as good as 65s, maybe even better. Yet very affordable.

Rella:

I have mixed views on the N/C piece. Its very common in most grades, and generally the prices seem too high. However, it is hard to argue about buying a finest graded example of a one year type. Don't think I would want to pay as high as CU ($4,500) though.

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought several of these Lib nickels in the e-bay auction, first time I bought out of e-bay in months.

When I thought of how high to go on prices for these coins which are pointed out in your posts are 20%, 30% higher than published grey sheet prices, Trends, etc., those published prices meant nothing to me. Why? These coins don't sell for those published prices, there are no sellers at those price levels.

I have scoured shows for two years and these coins just do not appear. Prices are too low! I'm happy to pay a premium over published prices.

I bought the 08 and 09 for over $1k each, I'm o.k with those prices. These are much tougher dates than first blush. I regret I did not bid more aggressively for the earlier dates, such as the 87 that went for $1057.

The coins in the e-bay auction were in a collection for a while, so hopefully they are good quality, at lest they are "fresh". As you know, you can get some fairly ugly pieces in decent slab grades. Hopefully, these coins will turn out, will let you know how it goes.

Regards
    Daryl

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    Daryl,

Looking at those pieces, looks like the seller took some time putting together a nice set and you got a great group of coins. Looking forward to hearing the results from in person.

Greg & Rella,

Teletrade now has a scan up of the 1883 in 67. Heavy flow lines and a pair of die cracks on the obverse. Looks like a really cool coin, but I would hate to see the final price on it.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Daryl:

I think the prices you paid were fine. Over time I believe you will view them as a bargain. I agree, you can't find any but the more common dates at close to sheet prices. I paid well over offer for my set.

Greg