Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

80 Down!!!--1941 Play Ball Finished in PSA 8 or Better

Some sets I am happy to finish because I love the set. Some sets I am happy to finish because I have been working on them a long time.
Once in a great while I finish a set that I absolutely love and that I have been working on a long time. This set(1941 Play Ball) is one of those sets.

About 2 weeks ago I got an e-mail from long-time hobby friend Anthony Nex telling me he was selling one of his two 1941 Play Ball sets and that he had psa 8s for the two cards that I needed--Bruce "Soupy" Campbell and George Case. For those of you who don't know Anthony, he is one of the greatest guys in the hobby. I have known him for the better part of ten years and we usually get together once a year for dinner in Beverly Hills. He said something like "I always wanted to help you finish one of your sets and now I have the opportunity to." Thanks a million Anthony.

I love the vintage pre-war sets but most of them are extraordinarily difficult to complete with each card psa 8 or better which is how I like to collect. This one certainly fits that description. I started the year needing three cards to finish this set. I picked up one early in 2009 and Anthony provided the final two.

With the final two 8s, the set has a set rating of 8.07 and consists of 3 8.5s, 4 psa 9s, 1 psa 10(Rollie Hemsley)(Thank you Dave Forman!!)
and 64 PSA 8s. It ranks fourth on the PSA Set Registry behind four giants of pre-war baseball collecting all of which are in the Hall of Fame--Don Louchios, Charlie Merkel, Don Spence and Marshall Fogle. I will let it rest at this level.

I am also trying to complete 1939 Play Ball in psa 8 or better and I need 11 cards there. 1940 Play Ball in psa 8 or better almost seems out of reach as I have about 45 psa 7s and am missing about 10 cards.

The goal remains 100 vintage or semi-vintage sets in PSA 8 or better. I appreciate the help of all collectors in helping me achieve my goal.

Completed sets in PSA 8 or better are as follows:

BASEBALL(37):

1936 S&S
1941 Play Ball
1948 Bowman
1951 Topps Red Back
1952 Bowman
1954 Bowman
1954 Red Heart
1954 Topps
1955 Bowman
1956 Topps
1957 Topps
1958 Topps
1959 Fleer
1959 Topps
1960 Fleer
1960 Topps
1961 Golden Press
1961 Nu-Card Scoops
1961 Topps
1961-62 Fleer
1962 Topps
1963 Fleer
1963 Topps
1964 Topps
1964 Topps Giants
1965 Topps
1966 Topps
1967 Topps
1967 Red Sox Stickers
1968 Topps
1968 Topps Game
1969 Topps Super
1970 Kelloggs
1970 Milton Bradley
1970 Rold Gold
1970 Topps Super
1974 Topps Deckle Edge

FOOTBALL(22):

1950 Bowman
1951 Bowman
1954 Bowman
1955 Bowman
1955 Topps All-America
1956 Topps
1958 Topps
1959 Topps
1960 Mayrose Franks
1960 Topps
1961 Fleer
1961 Nu-Card
1961 Topps
1962 Fleer
1962 Kahn's Weiners
1963 Fleer
1963 Stancraft Playing Cards
1964 Philadelphia
1965 Philadelphia
1967 Topps
1968 Topps 4-in-1
1976 Wonder Bread

BASKETBALL(7):

1948 Bowman
1957 Topps
1961 Fleer
1969-70 Topps
1970-71 Topps
1972 Icee Bear
1976-77 Topps

HOCKEY(3):

1962-63 Parkhurst
1962-63 Topps
1963-64 Parkhurst

MULTI-SPORT(2):

1933 Goudey Sport Kings
1954 Sport Oddities

NON-SPORT(9):

1938 Ogden's Actors Natural and Character Studies
1939 Gallaher My Favourite Paet
1945 Mutoscope Artists Pin-Ups
1955 Barbers Tea Ltd. Cinema and TV Stars
1956 Jibco Tea Screen Stars--2nd Series
1956 Topps U.S. Presidents
1958 TV Westerns
1960 Fleer Spins & Needles
1962 ABC Colorstars

Comments

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Jim----image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Nice image
    Wondo

• Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Jim - We have never spoken or communicated in any way, but I will tell you that you are my kind of collector. I really think you ENJOY collecting the sets and the rankings mean very little. You go after a nice, respectable PSA 8 set in whatever you collect. When you reach a good point you go on to the next set. A lot of the top dogs are obsessed with moving past the other top dogs and will spend money out of their minds to do so. It always amazes me when I see someone that has an 8 in something that might cost $50, bid $450 on an 8.5 just to pick up .5 on one card in a set that has 500 cards just for the competition of the registry. You seem to have a good grasp that this is first and foremost supposed to be FUN!!! Keep up the good work.

Sam
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    coachhcoachh Posts: 529
    Jim. Congrats on another set. Way to go.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a tremendous accomplishment. With your persistence I am sure you will meet your goal.image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Jim- thanks for the kind words, and I"m glad the cards have found a good home. Assume I have visitation rights next time I'm out your way!

Congrats on knocking off another set, it's quite an achievement.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Great accomplishment, Jim!
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    DavalilloDavalillo Posts: 1,846 ✭✭
    Thank you everyone--

Anthony--you not only have visitation rights, you can stay in the Anthony Nex room in our house--find me another card I need to finish a set and I might name a wing after you!! image

Sam,

Thank you. That for the most part describes my collecting style. I have always liked high grade cards but generally speaking once I get them in high grade I am not obsessed with upgrading my 8s to 9s and 9s to 10s. Also I love having a lot of sets--I love all sports, all eras and even non-sports--I just have the collecting bug...and I do not have the money to upgrade the expensive sets. Saying that on occasion I will upgrade sets with 9s and 10s--usually this is on a smaller set. I have never spent money on an 8.5 when I have an 8--

Good luck on your collection.

Jim
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    Wow Jim! That's amazing! I wish I had the motivation to complete 1 set in any grade. I started a midgrade '54 Bowman baseball. Got about 35 cards and decided I didn't have the patients for it. image Congrats again! And please post some more pictures!
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    TrevmoTrevmo Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Very nice. Congrats!
    Collecting Ozzie Smith PSA 10's, 1949 Bowman PSA 5's, and 1949 Bowman PCL'S in any grade!
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Congrats Jim! Did you make it out to the National this year?
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    AMAZING JOB, JIM!!!!

Congratulations!!

Wonderful sets you have to your credit beyond the new PlayBall completed!
  • Options
    Thank you for the nice words.

I did not attend the National. I have found that the National contains very few cards I need.

Sorry--I have a scanner but I don't know how to use it.

Jim
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jim,
    How many cards are you away from completing the 1952 Topps set? I believe you were about 40 cards away from completing this last year weren't you?

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Shane,

52--roughly half upgrades and half missing. The bad news is the Mantle is 8 o/c and I am missing both the Pafko and Mathews(as well as sever lower pop commons).

Jim

• Options
    I want the PSA 8oc when you find a straight 8 for your set.

SL
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thank you for the nice words.

I did not attend the National. I have found that the National contains very few cards I need.

Sorry--I have a scanner but I don't know how to use it.

Jim >>

Jim, send me your cards and I'll be happy to scan them for you. I swear most of them will get returned to you image

Nice work on the Play Ball set. Not one of my favorites but definitely a classic. Have always enjoyed reading your updates.

Tabe
  • Options
    Shane,

Sure--although the price for a straight Mantle 8 is upwards of $75,000 I believe.

Are you taking good care of my 48 Leaf DiMaggio card?

Tabe--thanks.

Jim
  • Options
    Jim,
    DiMaggio is resting in the safety deposit box along with some other goodies. The Mantle card that you purchase will run in that $75K range, but find you a dead centered one for that and it will pay off down the road. Did you see the PSA 9oc in SCP auction? It was beautiful!

Shane
  • Options
    Shane,

I did not see that. $75,000 is a lot. We'll see.

If I do, will give you first shot at my 8 oc. Sharp corners, slight angle cut, clear picture, 80/20 at worst part.

Jim
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great accomplishment
    congrats

keep going!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    "Keep Going"

I will. God willing and as long as I can make enough money to support my wonderful habit, I don't plan on stopping at 100--its just an interim goal.
  • Options
    'its just an interim goal'

I am scared to see the ultimate goal.

• Options
    my grandfather just gave me alot of cards and most are from 1940. some are not in great condition but i noticed a tris speaker that looks perfect. he also gave me 2 1938 joe dimaggio cards but i figure psa 3 on one and like a 5 or 6 on the other. also same year jimmy fox looks like a 7 or 8. if you want send me the card numbers you need and maybe i can help.
  • Options
    David,

I would recommend you get the most valuable cards graded.

If any came back at 8 and I needed it I would pay you a good price.

Jim
  • Options
    RangermanRangerman Posts: 276 ✭✭
    AMAZING ACCOMPLISHMENT image
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Hi Jim...

As mentioned on the non sprot net54 board I have a 1957 Topps Hit Stars Sal Mineo that is a PSA 8 that you might have interest in. I should have this card in hand this weekend and I have decided against doing the set in "8"'s. If you have interest please let me know.

I didnt mean to spa this thread but I tried a PM but it appears Jim does not allow PM's.

Thank you

Andrew
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Andrew,

Thanks,

I am interested in the Mineo. Please e-mail me at jdc122@aol.com.

I don't know what a PM is so I guess I don't allow it.

Jim
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jim!

I agree - I've met Anthony - we froze dining alfresco in San Antonio if ya can believe that! - and conversed with him for about 5 yrs now - he's not only one of the most generous guys in the hobby but also a class act.

Thanx for sharingk, happy hunting - good luck.
    mike
    Mike