Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bassano commem Heritage auction

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was blown away by the bidding on this auction. Far exceeding my expectatations for this collection. Wow .........MJ
Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bid strong on 4 coins and lost them all.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Ditto for three of mine.....oh well, live to fight another day. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    The Classic Commemorative Series is dead ya know. image

Had some of these on my watch list. No cash to buy right now. I've always found that nice examples of these do Very Well!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the phone at 1:15 this morning, bidding on a commem I felt near certain I would win. Wrong!
    Kudos to Heritage for their service and another great sale,

K
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just scrolled through the commem. listings for the auction, it's a nice way to compare some of the 'ok' coins with the ones that are really outstanding, in terms of appearance. A good way to learn.
  • Options
    I was blown away with some of the prices realized in this collection. I was an underbidder on a few of these and I ended up not being on the same planet. The following surprised me the most for what they were in this envirnoment-

Lafayette 67----77k
    Alabama 2x2 67----23k
    Arkansas 38-P 67-----15k
    Bay Bridge 68-----18k
    California 68------17k
    Hudson 67------17k
    Missouri 2x4 66----20k
    Monroe 67-------30k
    Oregon 36-P 68------27k
    Oregon 38-d 68----12k
    Oregon 39-p 68---18k
    Sesqui- 66---------43k
    Texas 36-p 68---------11k
    Wisconsin 68------------8k

I guess never underestimate Hertitage's marketing and putting all the big players in one room together. It doesn't hurt that a couple key players are back in the game putting sets together. High end commems are alive and well. What until some of the real monstors come out.........MJ

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I could have gone for that Bay Bridge piece.

I did score the toned Pan Pac from the collection.

Several of the Oregons were simply beautiful - and had serious bidding.

Would like to know how many in this collection were scored by 'Agent 99'.
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    What was that Bay Bridge? 18k? I don't know that those quantum price leaps in the top grades are worth it, the spread from 66-67 or 67-68 is often over 10k. My eye isn't good enough to tell the difference in most cases. I didn't even bother last night, and this mornings prices sure justify my decision not to participate. Congratulations to the Pan Pac buyer, very nice!image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you guys, I liked the Hudson, but didn't like it that much.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Thats crazy money to spend for something that I really cant see any difference from lower grades. I looked thru some of them and they are not worth that kind of money. At least to me.
  • Options
    Agent 99 scored a lot of coins ...........Mj
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I've done ok in this auction. Although for a few hours, it looked like I had done a little "too" ok.

Yesterday I picked up a seated half dime and seated quarter... had to go a little strong for the half dime but got the seated quarter for an attractive price I thought.

Then this afternoon I logged in to check my bid for a liberty $5 coming up later today, and saw that my successful bid amount for the auction had been multiplied by a very large number. Appears that I won a 1796 XF S$1 for the meager price of $7000 (plus buyers premium). I flipped. My wife first got upset, then started planning her $8k shopping spree to make up for it. I'm trying to figure out how I could have won that. Did one of the kids bid for me? No, because to bid you have to type in your password. But what if it was heritage live and I had the stream up? I couldn't figure out how it could have happened. Shot off two panicked e-mails to Heritage. Got really worried because yesteday my chinese fortune cookie said "your luck will change today" and I've been having a really good run in life lately and am quite happy thank you very much mr. fortune writer.

Getting ready to take the kids to dinner and logged back in to look at my new silver dollar (I had told my wife I would pay the 5% return fee and just get on with life, if it turned out the kids did bid for it). Presto, it's gone from my account. Thank you.

Although, I've always wanted to own an 18th century silver dollar, and this one was nice.... image

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    I thought prices were really strong on the Bassano coins as well. Todd Imhof (EVP of Heritage) was "Agent 99" but I highly doubt he was bidding for Heritage. He handles bids for most of Heritage's big buyers in Plat Night auctions when they want to stay anonymous.

Jay
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if it was just Heritages imaging but the collection as a whole didn't really do all that much for me.

There where a few colored lookers and a lot of technical high grade slab inserts.

Although there was some intense bidding, better images would have made a difference IMHO.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file