Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone purchase any coins from Heritage including those I consigned? What coin(s) did you win?

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone purchase any coins from Heritage including those I consigned?

What coins did you win?

Very interesting and very uneven results so far.

More later.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I wish I won the 16-D Merc.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    What did you consign? I bought a few lots so far with more to come.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Only bid on one coin but it is not up till tomorrow evening. Sorry it is not one of yours. image
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    No
  • Options
    Update, the answer is yes. Got the one I wanted for less than my maximum bid. image
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Won this 45-S 67*

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Oreville,

I figured your 16-d would hit $100k with ease. How were the results as compared to what you expected?

Mark
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Won this 45-S 67*

image >>

May I just say....I LIKE THAT!
    Love the crescent rainbow image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    speety:

While the 1916-D dime was a wonderful coin in my opinion, that opinion was not quite shared by John Albanese. He commented on the small obverse marks on the cheek. Also, the center bands was not as deep and 100% fully rounded like the Dominick coin. Nevertheless, I felt it was a much more pretty dime than the Dominick 10c.

That being said, NGC slabbed coins are hurting right now. Furthermore, the 1916-D dime has lost some of its fame as the ultimate rarity coin of the mercury dime set. It is really not as rare as it has been touted to be. The 1918-D and 1919-D dime has taken some of that thunder from the 1916-D dime. However, it is still the most famous of all the mercury dimes.

Obviously, I also felt it would also exceed $100,000 with ease. I certainly did not lose money on this coin but in holding the coin for 12 years, it was similar to having money in the bank with the bonus of really enjoying this coin.

But since it did not pass the stickem test, I decided it was time for some spring cleaning.

The same thing with the 1945 dime. Except in that case, my daughter, who I had gifted this coin to over several years, did much better percentage wise. I felt this coin was priced in the same manner as a PCGS MS-66FB. In my view, this coin will never cross to PCGS MS-66FB. But as the single NGC MS-67FB dime it has its own claim to fame. I have bought and sold probably more 1945P FB than any other collector in the past 20 years. It has seen some awesome returns in that time. I have been working on a PCGS grading set of the 1945-P FB dime. The toughest one is the MS-61FB which I had to cross from NGC to PCGS. It is the LOWEST graded 1945 FB dime of either service. I now have each of the grades from MS-61FB to MS-65FB. I have not seen any MS-66FB P or N I have ever liked.

Some of the other coins sold very well. The 1972 DDO cent in PCGS MS-67RD sold for much more than I expected it would. It is a pretty but flawed coin. It does have some significant issues. It sold for $5,462.50 versus the PCGS price guide of $5,500.00 which is commonly seen as an inflated price.

The sales price of the 1945-S micro-s dime on 67FB was $6,900, notably higher than the $6,500 PCGS price guide. Possibly due to the Kritzman provenance.

The 1856 FE, 1903 cents did as expected. Same for the 1882 5c nickel.

The 1903 1c sold for $1,955 versus the PCGS price guide of $2,000.

The disappointments were the 1927 10c which sold for just slightly more than what I paid for it which meant I lost money due to the Heritage mark up. A very, very low end MS-67FB. I got it for cheap when I bought it, the guy got it even cheaper now in a relative sense.

The biggest disappointment was the 1850 large cent in MS-66BN which did not meet reserve of $1500 plus the 15% juice. Probably too strong a price. However, I probably paid too much for it at $2,250.00 at the time from Legend Numismatics back in 2006, but then Legend probably paid too much for it back in 2006. Believe me, I am not bashing Legend. The other coins I have bought from them have all stickered and have been put away for another 10 years plus. This one just did not make it because of a couple of brown spots at 19 o clock on the obverse, but then again it IS a brown coin? LOL.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I'd say you did extremely well. With all due respect, I think the 1916-D dime is a tough sell these days and your 1927 was so-so. I am aware of how great most of your other coins are so the fact you got solid prices for coins you didn't want to own anymore, despite a weak market, should make you happy.

Jay
  • Options

It appears to me that all slabs are hurting right now. The lower value coins are not hurting as much as the higher end stuff, but there are deals to be had on very nice coins. I picked up 5 DB and CB halves yesterday at very decent prices for what they are. Picks to come in another week or so...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • Options

<< <i>It appears to me that all slabs are hurting right now. The lower value coins are not hurting as much as the higher end stuff, but there are deals to be had on very nice coins. I picked up 5 DB and CB halves yesterday at very decent prices for what they are. Picks to come in another week or so... >>

Seems about right for Classic Head Half Eagles as well. PCGS MS63 and above seems to be where the deals are to be had. I just paid full price and then some for a nice MS60.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I think you did okay, it could have been worse. I would think a knockout 16 d would be a tough sell now and maybe for years to come.

I won 3 coins and almost won 16. I was starting to sweat for a few minutes. You say 3 for 16 is not very good? My mAX bids were real low. The coins i lost sold for 1 bid higher although if i had raised my bid 1 increment i may not have won any more.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Lost out on my bid on the Betchler Dollar PCGS AU58, exceeded by about $100

Pretty strong prices given the economic conditions and condition of the overall coin market
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought just one coin. A proof IHC that I once owned.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought just one coin. A proof IHC that I once owned. >>

PICS!!
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought just one coin. A proof IHC that I once owned. >>

PICS!! >>

Patience, Chris, patienceimage

Suffice it to say the date and color make it a moose among mooses. Pop 1/0.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file