Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Delivery Confirmation problem

HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
Maybe this has happened to others.

Twice in the last year, the Post Office scanned packages as delivered, yet I never received them. When I confronted the PO clerks, they admitted that sometimes the mail gets put into the wrong mailbox. I know nobody's perfect. How many times have you received your neighbor-down-the-street's mail. I never received but the PO says it was delivered. I, the buyer, am finished. NO package, OUT money, and NO recourse. I hate Delivery Confirmation. Insurance or Registered works for me. That way the PO is held responsible for their actions.

Some sellers (not only on eBay) use DelCon instead of insurance innocently thinking it is a safe thing to do. It is free when purchased online with expensive Priority Mail. Their sales show shipping details that "insurance is included". When the package is received, it is DelCon, not Insured. Too late to worry about that one, at least it was delivered correctly this time. How about when it isn't? Not many sellers know their buyers well enough for trust like that.

Comments

• Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    I've received others mail in my PO box all the time. I give it to the clerks or Postmaster and they say oh, Thanks. One time I had the PO's supply of stamps in my box. I returned it to them and they said "must have been a mistake". Duh.

I recently had a lost package and was worried it was put into someone box besides mine. It never did show up, Its been 4 months. It was a registered package so that didn't help either.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    It has been a couple of months since I got someone else's mail in my box, but it has happened many times over several years.

I don't hear much about a Registered package getting lost for very long. Every postal worker who receives it has to sign. That is why Registered takes about twice as long to get delivered to the recipient. It is the most secure the PO offers. I have always considered it a career move for one to be "lost".
  • Options
    carscars Posts: 1,904
    That's what I thought as well however the postmaster here informed me Registered mail from overseas, Which my package was, Is not treated the same. It is treated as regular mail and is Not under lock & key although it is scanned at each destination. My package was scanned in New York and then Nothing.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    Foreign Registered is different but I have always had to sign for them. I'll ask the clerks next week if the foreign packages are locked up like the U.S. Registered.
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I've received mis-delivered mail on occasion, but only small things like letters or magazines - never a package. Still, as you pointed out, Delivery Confirmation won't do anything to prevent that kind of problem should it ever arise. Signature Confirmation is a much better way to go in this regard. Since most people won't knowingly SIGN for a package that doesn't belong to them, the chances of something going wrong with a Sig Confirm are slim to none. Definitely worth the extra $1.50 or so over DelCon.
  • Options
    SigCon is at least $3.20, not sure of new amount. Insured packages of $300 and more need a signature to be delivered, costs about $4.70 up. Worth it these days for the higher priced items.

DelCon is worthless if something out of the ordinary happens. I just wish more buyers and sellers were aware of the potential problems and stop using it. A tough sell because it is free with online Priority Mail.

I don't want it used on my packages because it implies something valuable is inside. I don't need that kind of attention, with no recourse.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electronic return receipt (available only at the PO counter) is much cheaper than signature confirmation, does the same thing, and is accepted by paypal as proof of delivery for items valued over $250.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    I'll have to check on that Electronic SigCon, it sounds very good. Thanks.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of your problem. In the past year I have shipped over 2000 items with delivery confirmation and not a one has failed to make it to the recipient. Sometimes they don't get scanned at the start, somtimes at the end, but they get there.

Since you're having problems, I would ask any shipper to send your package with signature confirmation. It costs $1.90 and you could offer to pay for it if you think it is appropriate. --Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll be checking into that.
  • Options
    I seem to get someone elses mail all the time. At home and my PO box. Makes me wonder how often others get mine. I once walked into my post office after hours to check my PO box as I was expecting a package. Box was empty. On the way out I see a package laying on the floor where the boxes are for big packages. (when a package does not fit in your PO, they put a key in your box to for a bigger box). I am thinking, no, it couldn't be. I walk over to it and sure enough, it is my package of coins. Just sitting on the floor for anybody to take. I can only assume that the PO put the key in someone elses mail box and that person saw it was not for them. Instead of leaving it in the box, they left it on the floor for anybody to take. At least I assume it as another customer.
  • Options
    WOW!! Lucky you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file