Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need advice on Ebay purchase

Let me first state that this is not in anyway an Ebay or seller bashing. I have been looking for a Library of Coins Kennedy Half dollar album for a while and since I am not a good judge of warning signs i am asking for help. Low feedback, no returns and no pictures scare me but it is just an album as the coins would be a wash. Well also this may get the attention of someone that has that album that I need.image
http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jjj-jlj_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_ipgZ

Comments

• drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big red flag there.

I don't know how the smart guys can tell a hijacked account but doesn't this sort of have the earmarks of one?
    5 years since the 'only' 4 transactions and now these auctions without pictures.

Oh wait, it gets better. 'No Returns Accepted'.

Good luck finding your album.
    Post a thread on the BST. Couldn't hurt.
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    No selling history = crapshoot. Maybe it'll be fine. But if the seller says "no returns", the responsible, adult response would be to not bid if you aren't willing to keep what you get as long as it reasonably matches the written description.
  • rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Well if all you're interested in is the album itself, then I suppose you probably can't go wrong on that one... although the seller does appear to be a bit of a bonehead, judging by the "Complete Set Bubbalo Nickels" he also has listed.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this auction is worthless without pictures
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

<< <i>this auction is worthless without pictures >>

Here you go:

<< <i>

<< <i>this auction is worthless without pictures >>

Here you go:

image >>

Beat me to it. image

Now MsMorrisine can 'bid with confidence.' image
  • pennyholicpennyholic Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    Good points so far and I did look at his other items and one person asked about pictures and here is the question and response.
    Q: You have not done any business on ebay since 04? No pictures and do you think someone will be gullible enough to bid on this? It raisesevery red flag there...more
    A: I am 81 years old and do not know how to include any pictures. Anyway what could anyone see of an individual coin in a folder if it were on a picture?

<< <i> I am 81 years old and do not know how to include any pictures. Anyway what could anyone see of an individual coin in a folder if it were on a picture? >>

Call me gullible but I say 'good for him!"
  • I agree with the others, been a long time to go without selling and no pics.

Doesn't seem to be worth it anyway, coins only worth 20.00 and if don't want them the what's the use.

Even though there is no others listed now, there was one ended unsold a couple weeks ago for 16.00. You could contact seller and see if they could do a relist, buy it now.

Linky
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the big deal?

"Pay with paypal and your full purchase price is covered."

Paypal is taking the chance for you. You're covered!

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

<< <i>Paypal is taking the chance for you. >>

No- PayPal's responsible sellers are taking the chance for you- you don't think the money comes out of PayPal's pockets, do you? If PayPal didn't have the expense of dealing with transactions like this (you know- where the seller doesn't want to take returns but knowing that, you go ahead and bid with the expectation that you can force him to anyway), they could lower their fees.

If you want a return option, you should not bid in this auction.
  • NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    I want to see an image of the Bubbalo Nickels set (rbf beat me to it...and I really wanted to have a cool first post....sigh......thanx rbf!!! J/K!)!
    I'll come up with something.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Paypal is taking the chance for you. >>

No- PayPal's responsible sellers are taking the chance for you- you don't think the money comes out of PayPal's pockets, do you? If PayPal didn't have the expense of dealing with transactions like this (you know- where the seller doesn't want to take returns but knowing that, you go ahead and bid with the expectation that you can force him to anyway), they could lower their fees.

If you want a return option, you should not bid in this auction. >>

Fact is, you're still covered by Paypal should the item SNAD. It is what it is.

<< <i>Fact is, you're still covered by Paypal should the item SNAD. It is what it is. >>

Sure- if you get a box of kibbles and bits or you don't get all the coins in the list, that's SNAD. If, on the other hand, you get all the coins but the album isn't quite as nice as you'd hoped for, that's *not* SNAD (not that that would stop a lot of people from insisting on a return anyway).
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    I would keep looking if I where you

• << <i>I want to see an image of the Bubbalo Nickels set (rbf beat me to it...and I really wanted to have a cool first post....sigh......thanx rbf!!! J/K!)! >>

Welcome to the forums!!image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I want to see an image of the Bubbalo Nickels set (rbf beat me to it...and I really wanted to have a cool first post....sigh......thanx rbf!!! J/K!)! >>

You have to fast with this group.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file