Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What are the dimensions of 1958 Topps hockey cards?

What are the dimensions of 1958 Topps hockey cards?

Thanks,

Mike
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Mike,

This is from Wikopedia, so take it for what it's worth!

Ice Hockey

1954-55
    For more details on this topic, see 1954-55 Topps Hockey.

* The 1954–55 Topps hockey set was Topps' first attempt at producing trading cards for the National Hockey League (NHL). At the time, the league consisted of six teams known as the Original Six. Topps included all four American teams in this popular 60-card set - Boston Bruins, Chicago Black Hawks, Detroit Red Wings, and New York Rangers.

1957-1959

The players in these sets are from the four U.S. based teams of the NHL. Bilingual backs(English/French) feature previous season statistics, a short player biography and a cartoon question and answer section.

1957-58

* Base set 66 cards Size: 2.5 x 3.5 inches

1958-59

1959-60

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 1/2" x 3 1/2" according to my copy of the 1991 Sport Americana (Beckett) Hockey Card Price Guide.

Steve
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!

Mike
    Does this card look short then? It might just be me, but it doesn't appear tall enough or wide enough in relation to that holder it is in. Looks smaller than a standard card.

• jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    My Hull rookie is exactly 2.5" X 3.5"
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
    It looks OK to me. I'd be shocked if that card was trimmed. If it was, whoever did it is a moron, since from looking at the corners, the only edge that could've been trimmed is the bottom. Given the centering, the top and/or right edges would've been the logical one(s) to cut.

I looked in my 1991 Beckett Hockey Price Guide, and from what I can tell (it's not really a good picture), the example in the book has fairly narrow borders. Given the off-centered-ness of the Hull in your post, I would again think it was OK.

Edited to add:

Plus, that is a great looking autograph image

Steve

<< <i>It looks OK to me. I'd be shocked if that card was trimmed. If it was, whoever did it is a moron, since from looking at the corners, the only edge that could've been trimmed is the bottom. Given the centering, the top and/or right edges would've been the logical one(s) to cut.

I looked in my 1991 Beckett Hockey Price Guide, and from what I can tell (it's not really a good picture), the example in the book has fairly narrow borders. Given the off-centered-ness of the Hull in your post, I would again think it was OK.

Edited to add:

Plus, that is a great looking autograph image

Steve >>

Yeah, I don't think it's been trimmed. Just looks to me like it's a smaller version. Do you happen to know if their have been smaller version reprints, counterfeits, etc.?

Mike
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

<< <i>Yeah, I don't think it's been trimmed. Just looks to me like it's a smaller version. Do you happen to know if their have been smaller version reprints, counterfeits, etc.?

Mike >>

I'm afraid you've got me on that one Mike, although I wouldn't be surprised if someone has counterfeited the Hull RC. I don't recall ever hearing or seeing of Topps reprinting the cards (like they've done in baseball).

One other thought just came to mind. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that the Hull was the last card on the sheet (bottom-right corner), which makes sense since it's also the last card in the set. That could account for some minor cutting irregularities. It's also the main reason so many of them are found off-center.

Steve
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    mike

what does the card measure up at?

as somebody said, it is a very nice autograph....hull has always had the same nice sig.

congrats on finally getting one. did you buy it signed or did you send it to him yourself?

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
    Eyebone

Its not mine yet. Im looking at buying it though..

Mike