Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How was the luncheon today at The National?

I have always wanted to go to one, maybe next year in Baltimore......

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully there was a good food fight.
  • One of these days I want to 'get out' and put faces to names. Someday....
    imageimageimage
  • Was Gary the keynote speaker?
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Lunchoeon wasnt that bad. Chicken, Rice and some nice veggies and cheesecake for desert. The Beer was very cold which was a HUGE bonus for me. PSA gave away a copy of Joe's book "Collecting Sports Legends" to everyone that attended the luncheon which I thought was a nice touch. Joe answered questions and presented awards to the big boys in the hobby. It was nice to meet some fellow board members and be in the company of some of the top collectors in the hobby. I'm having a damn good time.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭

"Joe answered questions...."

I haven't been to a registry luncheon in a while, but to me the Q & A session was always highlight of the luncheon. Do you recall what were the questions and what were the answers?
  • BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Matt,
    When and where was the luncheon? I was there from 11 am until 4:30 p.m. today..how in teh heck did I miss food?
    Dan,

Some of the questions were in regards to the .5 bump. What exactly are they looking for to warrant the bump.

Joe was asked about the slabs not stacking. His reply that it was a flaw from supplier and that there have not been any changes to the holders themselves.

Joe was asked about the counterfeiting on Craigslist and if the FBI was still pursuing these guys. His reply was that 2 or 3 have been arrested and the FBI was still actively looking for a couple more people.

There was some questions regarding qualifiers and which qualifiers weigh more heavily on grading.

I know I am missing some of the questions, but these are the highlights.

<< <i>When and where was the luncheon? I was there from 11 am until 4:30 p.m. today..how in teh heck did I miss food? >>

Ryan, Lunchoeon was from 12pm to about 2pm today downstairs in room 13-14. You would have taken the escalator (by the exit) down to these conference rooms.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    "Joe was asked about the slabs not stacking. His reply that it was a flaw from supplier and that there have not been any changes to the holders themselves."

It sounds as if the molder of the slabs changed the type(or supplier) of the raw plastic and hasn't tuned the molding press for the different material. Another culprit could be changing press size (to a lower clamp tonnage, thus a lower hourly rate of operation) and not being able to "pack" the mold as tight causing distortion. A few other thing can cause this type of variance, but w/o any particulars I'm just guessing anyway.
  • benderbroethbenderbroeth Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    i might go next year...
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    The food was decent (infinately better than the choices on the show floor) and the beer was cold. No complaints from me.

I ended up at a table with a major award winner, and some serious dealers. The conversation was interesting.

I left early to get some autos, so I missed most of the Q & A, if anyone can expand on Matt's earlier response, that would be great.

Mike

------
    stupid print dots

• dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    Thanks for filling me in Matt.
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for filling me in Matt. >>

That's what she said.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    glad they brought the beer back. Hopefully Wolfbear behaved himself so that it'll be there next year image

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dan,

Some of the questions were in regards to the .5 bump. What exactly are they looking for to warrant the bump.

Joe was asked about the slabs not stacking. His reply that it was a flaw from supplier and that there have not been any changes to the holders themselves.

Joe was asked about the counterfeiting on Craigslist and if the FBI was still pursuing these guys. His reply was that 2 or 3 have been arrested and the FBI was still actively looking for a couple more people.

There was some questions regarding qualifiers and which qualifiers weigh more heavily on grading.

I know I am missing some of the questions, but these are the highlights. >>

I can say this... I just picked up a submission I made here at the booth yesterday....

And all I my cards came back in good holders.... no middle bulge... no tipping over in the stack!!! Yay!!!