Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this PMD or a striking error?

I have zero knowledge on these types of errors. I don't collect them, but I was going through a huge bag of Lincoln cents (mostly wheats) that my grandmother had and came across this. It looks like a striking error to me, but I really have no idea. The coin is not flat. The obverse appears to be normal, but on the reverse, it is depressed in the middle a bit, and the outer area raised a bit. The side shot doesn't show it well, but it's the best I can do.

Is this a striking error? If so, what error is it, or is this PMD? If it is an error, any ideas what the value might be? I'd like to tell my grandmother about her find, if it has value.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Broadstruck?
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    If the whole thing is bent like that, i'm going to have to say PMD.
  • Options
    MoonbiterMoonbiter Posts: 652 ✭✭
    Let me clarify the "bent" part. The coin is straight. The reverse however shows that depression in the center and the outer ring from that depression is rounded upward a bit. The obverse though appears to be alright despite the obvious problems on the reverse. However the obverse might be sunken a bit.
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 149 ✭✭
    Likely encased at one time and removed, IMO. That would also explain the slight cupping.
  • Options
    Anyone else?
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Likely encased at one time and removed, IMO. That would also explain the slight cupping. >>

This is exactly what it is. Smoeone removed it from an encasement.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removed from a "keep me for good luck"
    aluminum ring........
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    Well bummer. I figured it was PMD but you never know.

Thanks everyone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file