Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here are Some Blue and Purple People Eater Copper!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
Most everyone on here knows I loved toned copper and, in addition to some neat errors, many of the coins in my personal collection are quite colorful. So whether you like them or think their toning is artificial, many of you must admit toned copper can sure be eye appealing. So here are a few of my purple and blue toned cents, some raw and some certified (I will be submitting the raw ones next week at the ANA). Not sure why, but some of these are not quite as "bright" in hand as the photos show - the photos seem to bring out the underlying color more boldly.

In any event, I'm not trying to start a discussion here on whether you think they are artificial because that in itself gets very controversial, so please let's not get into that here. I just really like colorful copper that is lustrous and eye appealing, so I thought I'd post some of the purple and blue ones here for those who also like colorful copper. So, let's see some of your purple and blue toned copper!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about 1 business strike and 1 proof.

imageimage

imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Not sure why, but some of these are not quite as "bright" in hand as the photos show - the photos seem to bring out the underlying color more boldly.
    >>

The reason why toning shows up more boldly in photos is the light it jammed down the coins virtual throat and reflects on all the little particles on the coins surface. In hand you have diffused lighting from above and the effect is watered down a bit.
  • Options
    Shoot, since we are not bashing these I'll join in with one you used to own. image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i> Not sure why, but some of these are not quite as "bright" in hand as the photos show - the photos seem to bring out the underlying color more boldly.
    >>

The reason why toning shows up more boldly in photos is the light it jammed down the coins virtual throat and reflects on all the little particles on the coins surface. In hand you have diffused lighting from above and the effect is watered down a bit. >>

Wow, Ben, I didn't know photographing these poor little purple guys could be so violent! Not knowing much about coin photography, I think what you are saying is that, because these types of coins are so colorful, the intense photography lighting just brings out the blue and purple color more brightly, am I right!? image
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really amazing...thanks for sharing!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    (Biting my tongue)

They are pretty, that's for sure.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>(Biting my tongue)

They are pretty, that's for sure. >>

Thank you Mike, I understand and really appreciate your restraint!! image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are attractive as well.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Charmy. image

Shhh, don't tell anyone:

imageimage
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Charmy, I won't bite my tongue because to me there is absolutely no debate!

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

The reason why toning shows up more boldly in photos is the light it jammed down the coins virtual throat and reflects on all the little particles on the coins surface. In hand you have diffused lighting from above and the effect is watered down a bit. >>

Wow, Ben, I didn't know photographing these poor little purple guys could be so violent! Not knowing much about coin photography, I think what you are saying is that, because these types of coins are so colorful, the intense photography lighting just brings out the blue and purple color more brightly, am I right!? image >>

In a few less, more appropriate words, ummm yeah sure that works for me. image
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    <===== And I like blue silver!
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry Charmy, I won't bite my tongue because to me there is absolutely no debate! >>

Lee, there's no debate that they are pretty, huh!
  • Options

<< <i>Charmy. image

Shhh, don't tell anyone:

imageimage >>

OH, so you're a closet toned copper lover!!! Very very pretty indeed..... You can be yourself among us copper people image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

• Options
    66RB66RB Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty Pennylady!

Here's a couple with a little blue and purpleimage

• Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Amazing Cents! image

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options

<< <i>MS70 or notimage

image >>

If anyone says MS70 caused the color it would only be a guess as it seems natural to me. image
  • Options
    WOW, some gorgeous copper here, that's for sure! Lee, I love those proof Indians, truly, and Rob, Scott and Stefanie, those are definitely some pretty wheaties. But my favorite so far has to be those modern proofs, Renom!!! Wow, what perfection on those surfaces in addition to that color - totally amazing! MS70 or not (let's not get into that), these coins you've all posted have some great eye appeal!

p.s. And Jason, love those Indians, definitely!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Diffused lighting", as Ben says, is probably the reason I can't capture the nice color on this one. Or maybe it's ineptitude. In any case what might be interesting is that this is a PCGS MS67. If it were RD and not RB it would have a PCGS guide value of $5750. Instead, PCGS says it's worth $0. image
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw the two purple 1972 Cents (regular and doubled die) at Charmy's spot at the Fremont show last Saturday. Two very beautiful coins.

I mentioned to Charmy that I have a 1967 cent I pulled from pocket change (probably 30+ years ago) that looks similar to her two 1972s.

It is purple in color on both sides, except for the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse (which is black). This cent is in my Dansco 7070 Album. I call it my "Smoke On The Water" coin......................., since it is "Deep Purple"image

For those of you who are 35 or less and not big fans of rock and roll, Deep Purple is a rock band from the 1960's and 1970s, who had a big hit song titled "Smoke On The Water" (Where's my groovy black light posters mannnnnnnnnnn?).
  • Options
    Rob, those sure are pretty, very pretty!
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that '07 PL!

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Those are some nice IHC's. I say this as a guy whose collection numbers a mere three coins in the series, but in my personal opinion there are few coins as beautiful as a RB Proof Indian that has a nice contrast. My dad thinks I'm nuts, so I know that my opinion is not universal image.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please send unwanted wheaties. Baby needs shoes.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Any Civil War dated material to show?
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    WARNING: looking at Charmy's coins may cause your collecting direction to change.image
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw the two purple 1972 Cents (regular and doubled die) at Charmy's spot at the Fremont show last Saturday. Two very beautiful coins.

I mentioned to Charmy that I have a 1967 cent I pulled from pocket change (probably 30+ years ago) that looks similar to her two 1972s.

It is purple in color on both sides, except for the Lincoln Memorial on the reverse (which is black). This cent is in my Dansco 7070 Album. I call it my "Smoke On The Water" coin......................., since it is "Deep Purple"image

For those of you who are 35 or less and not big fans of rock and roll, Deep Purple is a rock band from the 1960's and 1970s, who had a big hit song titled "Smoke On The Water" (Where's my groovy black light posters mannnnnnnnnnn?). >>

Now, why did they write that song?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>MS70 or notimage

image >>

If anyone says MS70 caused the color it would only be a guess as it seems natural to me. image >>

No, it's not a guess. That coin is a no doubt MS70'd piece.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>MS70 or notimage

image >>

If anyone says MS70 caused the color it would only be a guess as it seems natural to me. image >>

No, it's not a guess. That coin is a no doubt MS70'd piece. >>

Too blue to be natural.
  • Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>MS70 or notimage

image >>

No, it's not a guess. That coin is a no doubt MS70'd piece. >>

Classic powder blue MS70 look. Not to say that the coin isn't pretty, just not original color.

Too blue to be natural. >>

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options

<< <i>No, it's not a guess. That coin is a no doubt MS70'd piece. >>

I know it's hard for some of us to hold back from discussing whether the coins are original or artificial, or how they got to be the brilliant colors we are seeing in this thread. But believe me, there are plenty of posts on other threads about this issue. However, I was hoping we can look past those discussions and simply enjoy viewing everyone's brilliantly colored copper, original or not. So, let's see some more!!!
  • Options

<< <i>WARNING: looking at Charmy's coins may cause your collecting direction to change.image >>

I'm happy to guide others into the light as well, just let me know when you're ready..... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file