Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When a dealer writes "OMG! Even with a loupe ... not even the tiniest distraction...!!!"

renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't those descriptions seem to rub you the wrong way? Hmmm... do we know of any dealers guilty of this?

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Makes me look even harder!
  • Options
    Even more annoying when you can see a spot or a tick in their tiny little photo!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it does...especially when the coin is mid mint state graded by a reputable TPG...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When a dealer writes "OMG! Even with a loupe ... not even the tiniest distraction...!!!"
    Don't those descriptions seem to rub you the wrong way? >>

Only if they are inaccurate.

<< <i> Hmmm... do we know of any dealers guilty of this? >>

Yeah, I can think of a few. Who did you have in mind? image
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    The dealer in mind is a favorite bash recipient here on the boards. Not because of his/her descriptions, but because of the fun we all have taking pot shots at his/her audacity and supposed keen awareness of the Market (hint, hint). Whenever I go to this dealer's site, I can't help but read the descriptions and think: "less is more"
  • Options
    ...except the dealer I'm thinking about says "powerful glass," not loupe, because that word is tough to spell.

Edit: The dealer has nice coins, though, you've got to admit.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I think I keep my 70 auctions toned down pretty much excpet for an occasional coin that I find exceptional (I can think of 2 that I've promoted with superlatives). This thread is a good reminder to keep it that way. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>The dealer in mind is a favorite bash recipient here on the boards. Not because of his/her descriptions, but because of the fun we all have taking pot shots at his/her audacity and supposed keen awareness of the Market (hint, hint). Whenever I go to this dealer's site, I can't help but read the descriptions and think: "less is more" >>

Aha, so we're talking about Laura. Personally, I find a number of her descriptions to be rather over-the-top, but to be completely candid, I completely filter out just about all coin dealer's descriptions. Show me a picture and price, then if I like it show me the coin in-hand. All the rest is (generally) noise....Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I think I keep my 70 auctions toned down pretty much excpet for an occasional coin that I find exceptional (I can think of 2 that I've promoted with superlatives). This thread is a good reminder to keep it that way. --Jerry >>

Amen to that! A lot can be said about truly exceptional coins, but it would seem that some dealers never learned the lesson from "The Little Boy who Cried Wolf"

<< <i>Aha, so we're talking about Laura. >>

You can't prove it! image
  • Options
    There are a lot of things we know that we cannot prove. image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    "There are things we know, that we do not know.

Then there are things that we do not know, that

we do not know."image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the use of "OMG" would bother me the most, since I would have a loupe on me anyway.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Someone describing their coins in a manner which puts the coins in their best possilble light? OMG!!! Stop the presses!!!! When did this sort of thing start happening?????
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone describing their coins in a manner which puts the coins in their best possilble light? OMG!!! Stop the presses!!!! When did this sort of thing start happening????? >>

OMG!!! DEALER HYPE!!! WHEN WILL IT ALL END!!!image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone describing their coins in a manner which puts the coins in their best possilble light? OMG!!! Stop the presses!!!! When did this sort of thing start happening????? >>

..........image...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I like this game:

Unquestionably original eye appeal with an incredible surface and barely a hint of a tick mark visible. Just a teeny bit of chatter can be seen. The last coin of this calibre to appear in a major auction was in 1873. Exceptional strike combined with toning lines create an absolutely fantastic piece with no wear visible, even under strong glass. There are NO spots or discolorations. An excellent choice for an astute collector. Feel free to cherrypick this one off of us!

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"There are things we know, that we do not know.

Then there are things that we do not know, that

we do not know."image >>

Yes yes and sometimes words can never express, what words can never express . image
  • Options

<< <i>There are a lot of things we know that we cannot prove. image >>

And there are some things we can prove that no one wants to know imageimageimage
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah it does...especially when the coin is mid mint state graded by a reputable TPG...

K >>

Many coins coin be technically pristine but still be graded in mid or even low mint state holders.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some pre-1900 silver type coins that were basically flawless and would take you some time to find a defect of any sort (ie hairlines, tick, scuff, etc). But in general such descriptions are often applied to grades of 65-66 where marks or defects can be found within a few second under a 5X glass. Yes, those generally irk me.

I recall looking at the raw Vermeulle 1893-s dollar in 2001 and not being able to find an obvious tick or hairline on it after looking for over a minute with a 5X glass. That was pretty incredible for a silver dollar that ultimately "only" graded out as MS67. It was far cleaner than any MS68 1880-s or 1881-s I had ever seen. Had it been more flashy or blasty no doubt a 68-69 could have been achieved. I also owned an 1859 half dime in MS67 that was technically flawless. It was the cleanest mint state seated coin I could ever recall seeing. The coin had zero luster grazes and absolutely no high point friction anywhere. I spent a lot of time trying to find a mark on that coin and never could. If not for the fact that the coin was somewhat deeply toned and not blastly enough for the TPG's, it could have qualified for a 69 grade on cleanliness of surfaces alone.

In short, the TPG's require more than just clean surfaces to achieve higher grades. No doubt there are flatly struck 64's out there that are flawless as well. But I've never had a dealer show me a 19th century MS type coin that they claimed was "flawless" that I couldn't find something on it within 5-10 seconds. No doubt they are out there, but I've never been lucky enough to have someone show me one. Finding essentially perfect proof Barbers is probably the best chance of finding something flawless. And once in the holder, tyring to find a well hidden hairline could be close to impossible.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    As I recall, there was this particular Indian Head Cent that graded PCGS MS or PR68 that this particular dealer descirbed as being so clean that you wouldn't be able to find any flaws, even by using a neutron microscope. A neutron microscope! Seriously! Anyway, a friend of mine bought the coin, excuse being that he wanted to see what a "real 68" looked like. Well, he got the coin, and lo and behold, there was a carbon spot hidden in the headdress somewhere that he could see with his naked eye.

I guess the point is, if you're gonna put the coin on a very high pedestal, maybe it better be worthy of such praise.

Edited to add: maybe the coin was a 67. There just aren't a lot of 68 IHCs floating around out there in PCGS holders.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    When I read the title the first thing I thought of was LEGEND.

Does not rub me the wrong way, it's just her way of expressing what she thinks about the coin and what she normally sees on the vast majority of similar coins.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Does not rub me the wrong way, it's just her way of expressing what she thinks about the coin and what she normally sees on the vast majority of similar coins. >>

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I generally frown upon hyperbole, especially since the news is full of it. However, sometimes events (even the appearance of a certain coin) warrant it.

I will not condone, under any circumstances, more than three exclamation points in a row!!! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>...except the dealer I'm thinking about says "powerful glass," not loupe, because that word is tough to spell.

Edit: The dealer has nice coins, though, you've got to admit. >>

Be careful about spelling remarks... Legend has it they'll throw you into a bubbling cauldron here on the forum...... image
    BGG
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I generally frown upon hyperbole, especially since the news is full of it. However, sometimes events (even the appearance of a certain coin) warrant it.

I will not condone, under any circumstances, more than three exclamation points in a row!!! image >>

No? OMG!!!!!!!

!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most folks new to collecting coins are attracted by the brilliance and the luster of a coin. Toning will attract a few more to the hobby. And the attraction of old coins has always been a great starter for many. They will start out buying what they like verses what they really should be looking out for, the technical aspect of grading coins. Of course, this indepth look at coins only begins when the new guy starts questioning why some coins are valued differently when the coins look so similar. So there you have it! The crowd will always start out large but at the top, it gets pretty thinned out and lonely collecting those highly desirable examples that complete the sentence to what coins carry the most qualities about them. So it should not be a surprise to many why the TPGS grade coins along this realm of thinking, yes, we can certify that understruck coin and watch it sell since there are so many more buyers for that type of coin and there are so few buyers for the best coins.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file