Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post Anything about Babe (George Herman) Ruth !!!

Thought it would be fun to create a thread just for the "Sultan of Swat" !!!

Post any interesting! Your scans of cards, pictures, postcards, bats & balls, Ruth memorabilia, etc.. Even some interesting stories, facts, articles, etc. about "The Bambino" would be fun to read!

I'll "kickstart" this thread with a few posts and start it with a vintage 1935 Muratti Cigarette card, featuring Dorothy Poynton, a young American swimming star, in Germany to compete at the World Olympics held in Germany.

She's posing with Babe Ruth!

rd

here's a graded example (looks better than mine! LOL!) This one was selling for $1500 (do not know if it did sell?)

imageimageimageimagePink Floyd - Money imageimageimageimage

imageimageimageimagePink Floyd - Wish You Were Here imageimageimageimage

Comments

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Hi Matt! ................................ Goonies - Baby Ruth Candy Bar Scene! image

rd

Biography!

Early Life

George Herman Ruth, Jr. was born on February 6, 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland. His parents were Kate Schamberger-Ruth and George Herman Ruth, Sr., who tended bar and eventually owned his own tavern near the Baltimore waterfront. The Ruths had a total of eight children, but only two survived past infancy: a daughter named Mamie and a son named George, Jr.--the boy who would grow up to be an American hero.

George, Jr. did not have a happy childhood. His parents worked long hours in the tavern, leaving their son to take care of himself much of the time. Eventually, when Babe was seven years old, his father took him to St. Mary's Industrial School for Boys, a reformatory and orphanage. There he signed custody over to the Xaverian brothers, Catholic missionaries who ran the school.

During his 12 years at St. Mary's, young George rarely saw his family. They did not come to visit on holidays or on the one Sunday per month when family could visit the boys at the school. Little George was an unruly student, infamously classified as "incorrigible." Much of this was due the young man's inability to adapt to the regimented and structured environment or St. Mary's.

Estrangement from his parents led George, Jr. to find a father figure in Brother Matthias, the Prefect of Discipline at St. Mary's school. Brother Mathias would have a very positive influence on George's life, despite his reputation for unruliness. Brother Matthias, a very large, muscular man, became an inspiration to George in baseball as well as in other aspects of his life. The time spent with Brother Matthias not only helped hone George's swing, but the guidance and encouragement gave him much needed support that would translate into George's unfettering love of children in later years.

Jack’s Newest Babe

George's talent was apparent at an early age. During his years at St. Mary's, he continued to play a variety of positions on the school baseball teams. He played catcher most often during those years, until he started pitching around the age of 15. His pitching prowess was immediately noticeable, and he alternated at both catcher and pitcher on St. Mary's varsity team.

When George was 19, Jack Dunn, owner and manager of the Baltimore Orioles (a Boston Red Sox minor league team at the time), recognized the young man's talent and signed him to a contract. Jack was widely known as one of the best scouts in baseball. When the other players saw the strapping young Ruth, they referred to him as "Jack's newest babe." George Herman Ruth, Jr. was known as the "Babe" ever since.

"The House That Ruth Built"

The Yankees knew they were getting a star when they purchased Babe Ruth from the Red Sox, but they had no idea they were changing the course of modern sports history. In what became known as the "Curse of the Bambino," the New York Yankees would go on to win 39 American League Pennants and 26 World Series Titles. The Red Sox, on the other hand, did not win another World Series until 2004.

In 1920, his first season in New York, Babe destroyed his own home run record he set the year before. He slammed an astounding 54 home runs, nearly double his previous record of 29. When Ruth joined the Yankees, the team shared the Polo grounds with the New York (baseball) Giants. Within a short time, Babe's sensational home run hitting and undeniable candor became the biggest ticket in New York City. Soon, the Yankees drew so many fans that the team could afford to build Yankee Stadium, which opened in 1923. The famous stadium became known as "The House that Ruth Built." Fittingly, he hit a home run on opening day. Later that season the Yankees began a tradition of excellence that continues today by winning their first World Series title.

Boston Babe

After only five months with the Baltimore Orioles, The Boston Red Sox purchased Babe's contract, and he became a Major Leaguer at the tender age of 19. He pitched and played outfield for the Red Sox for the next six years. Ruth made an immediate impact both on and off the field. Stories of his off-the-field eating and drinking escapades have become as legendary as his baseball accomplishments.

He will always be remembered as one of the greatest hitters of all time, but he was an equally adept pitcher. In his first World Series game for Boston in 1916, Babe set a record that still stands today. Ruth took the mound in Game 4 against the National League Champion Brooklyn Robins. He got off to a rocky start in the first inning by giving up a quick run, but settled down to pitch 13 scoreless innings for the 2-1 win. The 14-inning gem stands as the longest complete game in World Series history.

Two years later, now the ace of the Boston staff, the Babeorchestrated another pitching masterpiece in Game 1 by pitching a complete game 1-0 shutout. He was called to the mound again in Game 4 against the Chicago Cubs. Once again, it seemed like Ruth was untouchable. He went eight strong innings, until giving up two runs in the top of the 8th. However, The Red Sox stormed back in their half of the inning with one run to put them up 3-2, and give Ruth his 3rd win in 3 World Series games. Most importantly, combined with his shutout innings in 1916, the nine scoreless innings in Game 1 of the 1918 World Series, and the eight scoreless innings in Game 4, Ruth notched a total of 29 2/3 scoreless World Series innings, breaking Christy Mathewson's record. This amazing record stood for 43 years. A dubious streak also began after that World Series win: It would be the last World Series title the Red Sox would win until 2004.

The next season the Red Sox finished with a dismal 66-71 record, 6th place in the American League. Not only did Babe win nine of his 17 starts but he smashed 29 home runs, dismantling Buck Freeman's single season home run record by four long balls. However, new ownership took hold for the Boston ball club, and Ruth's career was about to take an historic turn. In December 1919, new owner Harry Frazee sold the emerging superstar to the Yankees for $100,000 and a $350,000 loan to finance Frazee's Broadway production interests. Many consider this the most lopsided deal in the history of professional sports.

Off the Field

Regardless of Babe's on-field accomplishments, his personal life continued to be turbulent. He married 17-year-old waitress Helen Woodford in October 1914. By 1919, Babe made enough money for the couple to buy a country house in Sudbury, Massachusetts, in addition to their New York City home. In 1921 they adopted a baby girl named Dorothy. Ultimately the relationship faltered and the couple officially separated in 1925. After the separation, however, Helen and Babe remained married because their religious beliefs prevented divorce. Tragically, in 1929 Helen was killed in a house fire. Dorothy, who had been living with her mother, came to stay with Babe. He married actress and model Claire Hodgson a few months later in April 1929, the day before the Yankees' opening game against the Boston Red Sox. Babe hit a homer out of Yankee Stadium for his new bride on his first at-bat.

The Sultan of Swat

During his 22-year professional career, Babe cemented his name as the most prolific home run hitter of his time. In 1927, he hit 60 home runs during a 154-game stretch. This record stood until 1961, when Roger Maris hit 61 homers in an expanded 162-game schedule. Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick decided Maris' record would enter the record books with an asterisk denoting the difference in the schedule. He may no longer be the career home run king, but his record .690 lifetime slugging percentage may never be topped. Writers attempted to capture the essence of his greatness by giving him nicknames like "The Great Bambino" and "The Sultan of Swat."

The Called Shot

Perhaps the most famous moment in baseball history, and certainly of Babe's career, came during Game 3 of the 1932 World Series against the Chicago Cubs. In 5th inning, after he had already hit one homer, Babe came up to bat. He ran the count to two balls and two strikes. Before Cubs pitcher Charlie Root hurled the next pitch, amid the heckling of Cubs fans, Babe pointed to the center field bleachers. Then he slammed what is believed to be the longest home run ever hit out of Wrigley Field, directly above the spot where he had pointed. This story has been as debated as often as it has been celebrated. Did he really call his shot, or was he simply pointing at the pitcher? The world may never know. However, to many fans this moment symbolizes the golden age of baseball. The Yankees went on to win the 1932 World Series, their third sweep in four years.

The Beginning of the End

After the death of Yankees manager Miller Huggins in 1929, Babe expressed an interest in managing the team. Joe McCarthy, former Chicago Cubs manager, was chosen instead. Babe and McCarthy did not get along. Babe still harbored hopes to manage a Major League team while continuing his playing career as the most popular player of all time. In 1935, Babe thought he would get the chance to manage the National League Boston Braves. He retired from the Yankees and signed on as a player and first base coach with the understanding that he would become the Braves' manager the next season. However, once again, his managerial hopes were dashed. In one of his final Major League games, he crushed three homers in Pittsburgh. On the final trip around the bases, the Babe tipped his cap to the somber crowd of 10,000 at Forbes Field. That home run would be number 714, the last of his amazing career.

He retired three days later in Boston, still holding out hope that the Yankees would hire him as manager. Instead, they offered him the managerial position of the Newark Bears, one of their minor league franchises. He defiantly turned down the job arguing that many other players jumped directly from their playing days into managing.

Major League Baseball came knocking one last time in 1938 when the Brooklyn Dodgers hired Ruth as a first base coach. Again, he believed that he would take over for Burleigh Grimes as manager after the season ended. Once again, his heart would be broken as Leo Durocher was named manager the following season. Never again would Babe don a Major League uniform.

A Living Legend

Babe spent his post-baseball years giving talks on the radio, orphanages and hospitals. He also served as a spokesperson for United States War Bonds during World War II. He was acknowledged for his legendary status as a player when he was among the first five inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1936, along with Ty Cobb, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson and Honus Wagner.

In the fall of 1946, Babe was diagnosed with throat cancer and spent three months in the hospital. The operations impaired his voice, caused him to lose 80 pounds, and rendered him nearly immobile. The following year April 27 was declared Babe Ruth Day for every organized baseball league in the U.S. and Japan. Babe's health continued to decline and on June 13, 1948 he made his last appearance at the stadium where his legend was born. On the 25th anniversary of the opening of Yankee Stadium the Yankees honored the player that made them the most recognizable team in the world by retiring his number 3. This would be the last time the Babe was ever seen in the famous pinstripes.

Babe Ruth died on August 16, 1948 at Memorial Hospital in New York City at age 53. His body lay in state at the entrance of Yankee Stadium on August 17 and 18, where over 100,000 people came to pay their final respects. Thousands of fans surrounded New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral and the route to the Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Hawthorne, New York on the day of his funeral, as the world mourned the passing of Babe Ruth.

Of all the players in baseball history, none has ever reached the mythic status of Babe Ruth. Since his death, Babe continues to be formally recognized for his accomplishments. A few examples of the posthumous awards Babe received were The Associated Press's Athlete of the Century in 1999 and The Sporting News' Greatest Player of All-Time. These awards, along with many others, reflect Babe Ruth's prominence as one of the most revered athletes in American History.

credits: baberuth.com

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coincidentally, I just picked up this pin:

1930'S BABE RUTH ESSO BOYS CLUB PINBACK BUTTON

This pin was from the 30's - it used to have white enamel on it - people who sent in an application became "charter members" of the Babe Ruth Boys Club - one could get the application to win prizes at their local Esso Gas Station.

The pin measures 1.5" in diameter. There's loads of "repros" out there but one can easily spot them - more detail on the threads of the baseball e.g. on the original.

Then as a companion, I picked up this old pad with the Club Applications:

I've tried to get more info about the club but a google comes up with nothing more than I already know.

mike

edit: for those who have not been here that long, I did post this thread - it's a bit long - so when ya have the time: The day I met Babe Ruth.
    Mike
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Here's a good trivia question next time your at the bar, why was Babe's uniform # 3?

Because he batted 3rd in the lineup. The yankees were the first team to regularly put #'s on jerseys and they did it based on where the person hit in the lineup. Gehrig batted 4th so his number was #4

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone can repost that pic of him with former Pres. Bush at Yale here, pretty cool pic.
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth hit the first home run in All-Star Game history, at Chicago's Comiskey Park in 1933.

When Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in 1927, he hit 14% of all home runs in his league that year. For a player to hit 14% of all home runs today, he would have to hit over 300 home runs in one season.

On May 6, 1915, Babe Ruth hit his first major league home run off Jack Warhop, who pitched, ironically enough, for the Yankees.
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a good trivia question next time your at the bar, why was Babe's uniform # 3? >>

... because he batted third in the lineup. Same reason that Lou Gehrig wore number 4, because he batted fourth in the lineup.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    One of my all-time favorite cards; I was thrilled when I was able to add this one to my collection a while back!

• JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps, not his greatest season, but certainly one of my favorite seasons for the Babe occurred in 1919 ...

Lead the led with ...

103 Runs
    29 HRs
    114 RBIs
    .456 OBP
    .657 SLG
    1.114 OPS
    284 Total Bases

Impressive, in and of itself. But the Babe also chipped in with ...

9 wins and 5 losses
    2.97 ERA
    12 complete games
    133.1 innings

AWESOME.

/s/ JackWESQ

• << <i>Maybe someone can repost that pic of him with former Pres. Bush at Yale here, pretty cool pic. >>

imageimageimage
  • bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Babe. A great book about him is Bill Jenkinson's "The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs: Recrowning Baseball's Greatest Slugger". It is simply chock full of incredible Babe stories and facts. It has been said about the Babe that he is the only figure whose legend actually falls short of reality. image
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the pic with George Bush - Bush is holding a signed copy of Ruth's Memoirs.

Ya gotta love the sweaters!

mike
    Mike
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    My oldest daughter is a huge tom boy and obssessed with Babe Ruth, pictures of her giving a speech in 2nd grade about a famous (dead) american, John:

Cover of her write up:

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had not drawn anything hardly since I was a kid. I used to doodle a little. My 6 year old daughter recently started drawing a few things and she then wanted me to draw something. So, I drew a few cartoon characters. I surprised myself. I then realized that I enjoyed it, so I decided to try to draw Babe Ruth from the 1933 Goudey card. I have never been able to draw real people very well, but I took my time. This took several hours, but it was worth it to me.

Here it is - drawn by, yours truly.

Shane

• TexomaTexoma Posts: 179

Babe Ruth "10-Bats"--'bout right!!!
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    that 1st card doesn't even resemble the Babe
  • SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

Did I ever tell you about the time Ruth went hunting?

The Babe decides he's going to hunt down all four of the Banana Splits. He stalks and kills every one of them with a machete. They all begged for their lives...except Fleagle.
  • RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    had he not screwed with pitching (so brilliantly), he would have had at least 850-900 HRs..... and with the tighter wound balls of today, closer to 1000. had he not screwed with 1B/OF, he would have had around 400 wins and 4500 K's........ Talk about the most COMPLETE player! between him and Cobb, there will be no better......
  • In 1922 babe was paid $52,000. In Leigh Montvilles book "The Big Bam" he states that the American Institute of Economics estimates that $52,000 would have been worth $564,737.43 in 2005 dollars. Compare that to what the A-Rods are making... it blows your mind to think how much salaries have jumped!
    On a side note, I have read several Babe Ruth books and Montvilles was the best by far.

Jeff
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    ...Ruth did it on Hot Dogs and Beer!
  • A older friend of my Dads gave me this card many years ago. Don't know much about it but it's interesting.

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    A Babe Ruth Bat was stolen from the National today!
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In 1922 babe was paid $52,000. In Leigh Montvilles book "The Big Bam" he states that the American Institute of Economics estimates that $52,000 would have been worth $564,737.43 in 2005 dollars. Compare that to what the A-Rods are making... it blows your mind to think how much salaries have jumped!
    On a side note, I have read several Babe Ruth books and Montvilles was the best by far.

Jeff >>

Agreed. Montville's book was outstanding - far more depth and information than any previous effort.

Tabe
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    He Love hot dogs!! image

Watching ESPN Sunday night MLB (Dodgers vs. Braves). Announcer Joe Morgan was talking about his last visit to Cooperstown when the Hall of Fame allowed Joe Morgan to go downstairs to visit the HOF archives, which is not open to the public.

He talked about seeing Babe Ruth game used broken bats. Ruth used to mark each home run on a the bat. So one bat might have 18 notches, another would have 12. Very interesting.

rd

This cool piece of Ruthian memorabilia sold at auction on the eve of Super Bowl XLII on February 2, 2008.

rd

• 1919 Look At Him Now Sheet Music

• Ok this thread needs more cards-

• fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    patch with a thread...
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just listened to the audio book "The Big Bam" by Leigh Montville.

This was very interesting. If you are a Ruth enthusiast, I highly recommend it.

Shane

• Don't have any of the BAMBINO's underwear imageimage nor do I have a ppiece of his JERSEY (very nice card)image

But I hope this will suffice???

imageimage

By the way the BABE will have been gone for 61 years this coming Sunday August 16thimage

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• Sorry guys make that 61 years. 1st reply fixed.

SKY
    The Sky Pilot

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A Babe Ruth Bat was stolen from the National today! >>

This is the first I've heard of this.....

Any updates?????
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.