Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Slightly OT: Dino-Lite/Windows Vista Compatability?

PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
Sorry if OT, but am wondering whether anyone here is using the Dino-Lite (mine's a 411T) with Windows Vista. I just bought a new PC and installed the software. PC recognizes the USB device and the software install said "ready to use," but when executing the program I can't get past a dialog screen that says to "plug it in." Thanks for any info. -Preussen
"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right-click on the dinolite.exe and select 'run as' and then 'administrator'.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I cannot get my Dino-Lite to work with 64-bit Vista at all. I've been working with tech support through a U.S. point of contact for weeks and it's frustrating as hell.
  • Options

<< <i>Right-click on the dinolite.exe and select 'run as' and then 'administrator'. >>

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work for me image -Preussen
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot get my Dino-Lite to work with 64-bit Vista at all. I've been working with tech support through a U.S. point of contact for weeks and it's frustrating as hell. >>

64-bit Vista here, too. -Preussen
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

........time to call the geek-squad.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Well good thing I haven't bought one yet as I'm running v64 too. Hope it gets resolved......
  • Options
    Try running it in 'compatability mode'. Right click the icon, choose properties, click on the compatability tab and then choose an earlier OS..say XP. If it doesn't work via the shortcut, try using compatabilty mode on the executable (.exe). Good luck!
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to see a situation where "compatibility mode" works to solve a problem. Typically, the problem is not that.

My trump card for dealing with Vista 64 bit hardware compatibility problems is to install a 32 bit operating system inside of VMWare. So far, running the old OS, virtualized, has solved these sorts of issues.

My Nikon slide scanner, for example, will never have 64 bit drivers according to Nikon.

So, I must launch a Windows XP 32 bit operating system, virtualized from within VMWare, to scan my slides. It works. I curse Microsoft and Nikon.

But, VMWare brings it's own set of grief, which is substantial. It's only for the adventurous geek.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    I not able to get my dino lite 411T to work on my mac so I put it on my HP with vista and had no problem at all with it. Thank God because I would not know what to do if I did.
  • Options

<< <i>I have yet to see a situation where "compatibility mode" works to solve a problem. Typically, the problem is not that.

My trump card for dealing with Vista 64 bit hardware compatibility problems is to install a 32 bit operating system inside of VMWare. So far, running the old OS, virtualized, has solved these sorts of issues.

My Nikon slide scanner, for example, will never have 64 bit drivers according to Nikon.

So, I must launch a Windows XP 32 bit operating system, virtualized from within VMWare, to scan my slides. It works. I curse Microsoft and Nikon.

But, VMWare brings it's own set of grief, which is substantial. It's only for the adventurous geek. >>

"Try" (to conduct the trial of: to make an attempt at) being the operative word in my suggestion.

Outside of Citrix's CAG everything else I have tossed @ Vista 64 has worked and yes some of those have required 'compatability mode', if not from the post-install executable then from the install package itself (installed under compatability mode).

Also have you given this a try? - Dino-Lite Vista 64 install

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It might just be that my PC knowledge is outdated, but I've been unable to make it work. Some of the ideas are over my head, but I've tried to follow the instructions to no avail.

<< <i>Also have you given this a try? - Dino-Lite Vista 64 install >>

yup, tried that, too. Anyone want to purchase a (slightly) used Dino-Lite? Thanks again. -Preussen
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I set my compatibility to run on Windos XP SP2 and it works now! I had not had luck until I remembered that I had hard wired it to the back of my old computer vice routing it through my Hub I have on the new one. I went back in and unchecked Run as Administrator after I changed the compatibility mode.

Also, before I connected it this time, I got an update option when I started the program, that must be new because I didn't get the option about a week ago.
  • Options
    For anyone interested, here is a fix I found (worked for me) for running the dino-lite with Vista. I hope this helps someone. -Preussen

"when attempting to run the DinoCapture with Windows Vista for the first time after installation (of the program) please right click on the DinoCapture icon ad select "run as administrator" from the popup menu. Then confirm the operation by clicking "OK" on the Vista popup screen. This is a one time process after which your computer will recognize that the Run DinoCapture is authorized by the administrator. After this one time additional procedure, you will then be able to double click the DinoCapture icon at any time for future use."
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For anyone interested, here is a fix I found (worked for me) for running the dino-lite with Vista. I hope this helps someone. -Preussen

"when attempting to run the DinoCapture with Windows Vista for the first time after installation (of the program) please right click on the DinoCapture icon ad select "run as administrator" from the popup menu. Then confirm the operation by clicking "OK" on the Vista popup screen. This is a one time process after which your computer will recognize that the Run DinoCapture is authorized by the administrator. After this one time additional procedure, you will then be able to double click the DinoCapture icon at any time for future use." >>

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For anyone interested, here is a fix I found (worked for me) for running the dino-lite with Vista. I hope this helps someone. -Preussen

"when attempting to run the DinoCapture with Windows Vista for the first time after installation (of the program) please right click on the DinoCapture icon ad select "run as administrator" from the popup menu. Then confirm the operation by clicking "OK" on the Vista popup screen. This is a one time process after which your computer will recognize that the Run DinoCapture is authorized by the administrator. After this one time additional procedure, you will then be able to double click the DinoCapture icon at any time for future use." >>

image >>

You didn't use enough words when you gave that advice over a week ago image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file