Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, turning away from the Langbord case, what percentage of 1954 and early proof sets have been lost

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
I chose 1954 since that was the last year of sets that were not put into the "flat packs" that started in mid 1955.

The 1954 and earlier sets going back to 1936 were issued in packaging that left much to be desired. Does anyone know how many of these sets have been lost through damage, destruction or simply being lost or spent?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that the loss rate is much higher than say the 1955-64 sets.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These sets commanded significant premiums very shortly after they were issued. I doubt if many have been "lost."
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 2 myself of the 1954's about a year back. bid on them was $140 and I couldnt find buyers for $100 (EVEN ON EBAY!)
    I was at my local dealer last week and he had 10 1954 proof sets in their boxes for $125 a piece...
    may the fonz be with you...always...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file