Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Spanish unknown

I think I may have asked about one like this before but all my files were lost on a computer crash a few months ago:

TIA
Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile

Comments

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's brassy looking, I assume? It's a "pirate coin", a copy of a "Reyes Catolicos" silver coin of Mainland Spain, during the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella, early 1500's. Copies are apparently commonly found in the pirate-themed tourist traps on the southeastern US coast. They often come with garbled legends, but yours seems to be a reasonably faithful reproduction. Here's an example of a genuine 2 reales on CoinArchives.

If it does actually look like silver, then it might be genuine, but genuine coins of this type aren't usually this round.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, I have nothing intelligent to add after Sapyx the Sage has spoken, except to say that a piece of similar design (and genuine) was dug just north of here in coastal GA, causing a bit of speculation that it might give Georgia a claim to the site of San Miguel de Gualdape, the first European settlement in what is now the USA.

But of course they'd need a lot more archaeological proof than a Ferdinand and Isabella-era coin. Those have been found before in Florida and Georgia. After all, coins circulated for a long time back then, unless they were lost. Who's to say the coin that was found near here wasn't dropped later, in the 1600s or even a little later than that? Still, it would be mindblowing to find one that old. My oldest found is 1658, and the oldest any of my friends have dug was a tiny cob half-real struck no earlier than about the 1590s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I would also agree this ferd. and isabella coin looks too brassy and round to be the genuine article. That said, however, it at least looks aged and well-done enough (unlike other cheesy repros I have seen of this coin) to warrant the possibility of it being a 1600s-1700s counterfeit that once was silvered--- and being an older Spanish silver coin design as opposed to a current one, the purpose was to arouse less careful scrutiny. Just a theory anyway to throw into the mix anyway.

But speaking of what LordMarcovan bring up San Miguel Gualdape, in addition to that ferd and isabella coin being found, I would think those settlers also brought over Santo Domingo coppers, as that is where they were from. Which brings to mind a question I had: I had always thought the San Domingo coppers of the 1500s were all the crude pillars on one side and big cursive "V" on the other side. Yet I have also seen Spanish coppers with a lion on the obverse, castle on reverse and "S.P" marks being attributed as Santo Domingo coppers. Anyone know for sure?