Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What wax from the 80's would you buy?

I am looking to buy a box of 80's topps from the national. I am leaning towards 1981 because it is affordable and psa 10's seem to be tough, so if I pulled a couple it would be worth the price. Any other ideas or thoughts? 1983 would be nice too.
Registry Sets:
T222's PSA 1 or better

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Well to call 80s vintage?? I would 86 Topps, a set that seems to be gaining momentum?? Tough black boarders.
  • Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Good call on the "vintage." Edited
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    83's. Some nice RC's and some nice HOFs. Good design, plenty of hit opporunities. I just don't see your pulse racing opening 86's.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    I personally like the 84 Donruss

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • 83 Topps only costs a fraction more than the 81's and you get a chance at 3 HOF rookie cards plus the Ripken second year. 1981 Topps PSA 10's are tough to pull (especially from wax) and even then the only ones that will fetch a premium price are a few HOF'ers and a few low pop commons.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭
    my vote would be 86 topps football.. 2 big cards in rice an young... and several mid level rookies like reed, white, bruce smith, boomer ect... and several other HOFers like marino elway, payton, montana... i think its a much better deal than 84 topps..
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
    I prefer the 85 football over 86 even though the 86 has all the rookies. Talk about black border issues. I want to stick to baseball though. 1983 topps seems like a good buy. How difficult is the centering on those? I have bought some 1983 OPC in the past and they were all over the place.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • From the 80's I would go with 1986 Fleer Basketball, but if it were 1960's, then I would pick this bad boy image

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'd choose: 1980 Topps, 1984 Donruss, 1983 Topps, 1985 Fleer, 1981 Topps in that order.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Someone said it best earlier- What gets your pulse racing? Thats what your paying for here... My favorite pulls from the 80's would be an 84 Donruss Mattingly, an 82 Fleer Ripken (always liked this one the best for some reason), and 89 UD Griffey.. So those would be the boxes I'd bust. Even though I do like 86 Topps (dare we say momentum for 86 Topps?) busting wax shouldn't be about the set, it should be about the 2-3 cards that would make you euphoric if you pulled one. Unless my 86 topps pack had a $100 bill inside of it, I wouln't be euphoric.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    83T BB box.

mike
    Mike
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I am thinking about doing some 83 Football tomorrow. Maybe some 85 too
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭
    If you're looking for affordable and fun to rip, I'd agree with 83 Topps for a "cheap" rip.
    Always liked the 83 football. The stickers were cool you got in the cello packs. Thanks for the input. Here is my short list as of right now

1983 Topps
    1981 Topps
    1985 Fleer (had not thought of that one, but good call)
    1980 Topps
    1985 Donruss (Gotta love the black borders)
    1989 Upper Deck (always wanted to pull a Griffey out of a pack)
    1987 Leaf (Fun box to open)

Of course this all goes out the window once you walk in the door, but for now we will stick to it.

Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • '85 football.
    '81 baseball.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    1986 Fleer Basketball
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    I like this set:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

<< <i>If you're looking for affordable and fun to rip, I'd agree with 83 Topps for a "cheap" rip. >>

Yes...I love the '83s as well, esp. for star power...though I'd go OPC rather than Topps.

edited to add:

• srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    85 Fleer doesn't seem to be getting much love, but is a favorite of mine. 84D and 83T are nice choices, as well.
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
    Yes...I love the '83s as well, esp. for star power...though I'd go OPC rather than Topps

One of the big three rookies is missing from the 1983 OPC though. I forget which one, but I actually prefer those normally. Especially the 1984 OPC.
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better

<< <i>Yes...I love the '83s as well, esp. for star power...though I'd go OPC rather than Topps

One of the big three rookies is missing from the 1983 OPC though. I forget which one, but I actually prefer those normally. Especially the 1984 OPC. >>

I've always forgiven the '83 OPC set because it left out Boggs...I would have been more bothered if it were Ryne or Gwynn...that's terrible of me though.
  • CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    83 OPC, more HOF'ers and fewer commons, plus two big rookies which either one in a 10 is a couple hundred bucks. The Super Vet. cards omly increase the # of HOF'ers in the set.

The onyl downside is that unopened boxes are tough to find and if anyone knows of where I can buy some, PM me.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it would be either 1983 Topps Michigan Test or 1984 Donruss. Great sets!

Tabe
    I just got back from the National and picked up the following 80's "junk" boxes

1983 OPC
    1985 OPC
    1987 Leaf

Only opened the leaf and got a nice Maddux, Mcgwire and Brett. I will open the OPC after dinner
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    OPC's are always a good rip.