Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Least Popular Hall-of-Famer

In terms of cards, who would you say is the least popular Hall-of-Famer? Players only.

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    Phil neikro?
  • dpucciodpuccio Posts: 117
    Don Sutton
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Rollie Fingers, Don Sutton, or Gaylord Perry. I'll go with Gaylord. For HOFers these probably don't make it out of common boxes.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • Bill Mazeroski has to at the top of many lists in terms of unpopular.I also think Joe Morgan is up there to.Although I personally like him.
    Mike
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Rollie Fingers
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If by lease popular you mean among collectors, I'm going to go with Eckersley or Sutter, maybe throw in Gossage, Fingers....the closers.....based on the fact that except for their RC's, all their cards are in the commons box. And even EX and less Sutter RC's are there. The Fingers is only redeeming b/c its a hi 69.

I would say Perry is a step above them just because he has some interesting 1960's cards, like the 63 multi-player 'rookie' and the 66 hi number last card in the set.

Niekro, he's a tough call. But again, interesting RC in a 64 Hi, and the 65 multi-player 'rookie' is also a must for that set.

Some other non-closers to consider.....Ozzie Smith for one. His cards peaked years ago. If his 79 RC didn't have centering problems, it would be a $20 card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Baseball_Hall_of_Fame
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There are three of us with pretty substantial Niekro registry sets and Perry gets a lot of love from the vocal contingent of 60's Giant fans.

I would imagine it's someone who was elected by the Vet's Committee well after their playing days were over, so they don't have a lot of fans talking them and their exploits up. Someone fitting that description maybe also wouldn't have all that many cards to collect in the first place.
  • i will 2nd Sutter, honestly who really cares?
  • How about Jim Bunning? Don't hear much about him.
  • yeah, its not like he's a Senator or anything like that, we never hear about what he's doing these days image

• << <i>yeah, its not like he's a Senator or anything like that, we never hear about what he's doing these days image >>

That's the problem we know more about him being a politician more than his playing days.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Steve Carlton

Oops misread the question!! Thought you meant least popular player by personality.
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Maz sells very well. I would say Sutter also. Gary Carter also comes to mind.

Kevin
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn. Actually from a collecting standpoint, most new HOFers will have very little collecting interest. Wait until Tom Glavine gets in. How many will be clamoring to get his 1988 Fleer in PSA 10?
  • Bobby Doerr, George Kell, Red Schoendienst, Travis Jackson, plus others: the people no one can really explain why they are in.

But that is just my opion.
  • estangestang Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭
    Red Schoendienst

lack Ink Batting - 9 (250), Average HOFer ¡Ö 27

Gray Ink Batting - 92 (253), Average HOFer ¡Ö 144

Hall of Fame Monitor Batting - 109 (131), Likely HOFer ¡Ö 100

Hall of Fame Standards Batting - 29 (276), Average HOFer ¡Ö 50
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>or Gaylord Perry. I'll go with Gaylord. For HOFers these probably don't make it out of common boxes. >>

Gaylord Perry is one of the most difficult cards in the 60's to find in PSA 8 grade or better. I think he gets alot of respect, as his RC in PSA 8 sells for twice SMR. I wish I could find his Rookie card in the common box.

• Speaking of Perry...here is a cool Perry item i own for no reason at all...

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with Sutter, always hated when he faced the Reds though.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wes Ferrell or is it Rick?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • slantycouchslantycouch Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Speaking of Perry...here is a cool Perry item i own for no reason at all...

image >>

Is that just a commemorative/reprint kind of thing? Definitely a cool piece.
  • as far as I know....it's legit....came in a collection I bought years ago....doesn't seem like an item anyone would fake.....wouldn't be worth the trouble......image
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Orenthal.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at [email protected] !
  • dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Speaking of Perry...here is a cool Perry item i own for no reason at all...

image >>

Is that just a commemorative/reprint kind of thing? Definitely a cool piece. >>

These tickets were printed after the fact. The genuine game tickets obviously could not predict his 300th win, although the genuine tickets do look similar. It is stil a nice item, a comm. ticket signed by Perry. The original unsigned tickets are very difficult to find. I sold mine for around $300 and I believe it's the only one I've have seen.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    pete rose
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    Joe Morgan...though I might be biased because I can't stand him or his "broadcasts".
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Wayne Millner, Redskins.
  • Eddie Murray
    Jim Rice
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Tom Mack of the Rams
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    reggie jackson
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wade Boggs and Tony Gwynn. Actually from a collecting standpoint, most new HOFers will have very little collecting interest. Wait until Tom Glavine gets in. How many will be clamoring to get his 1988 Fleer in PSA 10? >>

That is borderline ridiculous. Boggs, Gwynn, and Glavine all have large followings among fans AND collectors. Also, many Glavine die hards prefer his minor league cards in hi grade as opposed to the mass produced 1988 issues. And I believe Glav has an 88 Score Glossy that still gets very good prices in hi grades.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Bruce Sutter - totally forgot about him or maybe he'd get my vote.

Non-pitcher my vote goes to Gary Carter.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    [email protected]
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And I believe Glav has an 88 Score Glossy that still gets very good prices in hi grades. >>

I can attest to that.