Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

OT: Anyone here from Toronto?

My wife and I are going to be making a side trip to Toronto in early September and I'm trying to find ideas for things to do. I think we'll probably stay at the Roger's Center hotel (I don't remember the name) so obviously we'll enjoy a Blue Jays game. Are there any other can't-miss attractions? Or card shops? image
Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Comments

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    I think Mathew lives there. Or near by anyway.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can you bring me back a case of Molson or Labatt's Dry beer, can't buy that here in the U.S.image
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>Can you bring me back a case of Molson or Labatt's Dry beer, can't buy that here in the U.S.image >>

Are you sure you can't buy them here? I've seen both...
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Mathew lives there. Or near by anyway. >>

Yup,

I live just an hour and a half south of Toronto. Things to do in Toronto?

The Royal Ontario Museum (or known as the ROM) is great. The Hockey Hall of Fame is right by the Roger's Centre. The CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) is going on right now. Lots of Broadway show are always going on. Toronto is the largest city in Canada and one of the largest in the world so there should be tons to do if you google Toronto events.

But just as long as you catch a Jay's game then all should be great. I actually just bought 8 tickets to the Saturday afternoon game on the 22nd of August against the Angels. Talking my family to celebrate my parents 40th wedding anniversary.

As for card shops there is one right by the Roger's Centre called Legends of the Game that use to be the place to be at one time. Not sure anymore though.

Enjoy the trip

mathew
    baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
    Thanks, Mathew! I'm getting pretty excited about the trip. I've never been to Canada so I'm looking forward to the experience. I'm not sure I can talk/drag my wife into going to the Hockey HOF but I'm sure we'll have fun anyway. At least I'll have fun and that's what's important. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • Definitely go to the Hockey Hall of Fame and Wayne Gretzky's restaurant.
  • Dont forget to stop by the duty free shops to stock up on some cheap alcohol
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • If you're driving, then I highly recommend going to one of their supermarkets.
    It's a lot of fun to look at all their cereal and stuff that we don't get down here.

I highly recommend the shreddies. Great cereal image
  • Legends of the Game is still kickin', though it's not what it used to be in the glory days of the late 80s. It's at the corner of King & John. Dundas Square is very nice, and right next to the Hard Rock at Yonge & Dundas. There's a garbage strike on right now so don't judge us by the trash in the streets. Usually it is very clean. I think the strike ends Tuesday now, though. If you feel like hoping into a cab for a few bucks (probably $30+ bucks), AJ's Sportsworld is a good card shop too. 2720 Steeles Ave West Suite #1 Vaughan, Ontario, Canada. Have fun!
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • theoriolestheorioles Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Hi Chris,

I live right downtown.....there's lots to do. Will you be renting a car?

Right next to the Rogers Centre is the CN Tower...you should check that out. There's some great restaurants along King which is right near the hotel....also you are within walking distance of The Royal Alex Theatre etc...and Roy Thomson Hall (symphony etc)....what exactly are you interested in? That cab ride to the card shop is probably more like $60 - $80 bucks from downtown....you are pretty close to all the action...I wouldn't waste too much on cabs. How many days are you in town?

PM me if you have any questions.

Gord
    [email protected]
    Collecting PSA Graded Orioles From 1954 to 1980
  • Worth the trip to the top of the CN Tower and Hockey Hall is a must.

Just stay off the plexiglass floor in the tower. It's freaky.
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can you bring me back a case of Molson or Labatt's Dry beer, can't buy that here in the U.S.image >>

Are you sure you can't buy them here? I've seen both... >>

You would think that living so close to Cananda here in Michigan that you would find it here, but nope!!
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    stop for a day in niagara falls on your way.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
    We're leaving the Buffalo area on September 8th and driving to Toronto early that morning. So we'll have most of the day on the 8th and 9th. Only two days, which isn't as long as I would like but that's all the time my wife is willing spend away from the kids. So far the game and the CN Tower are two things that the wife wants to see. We'll probably stick to the area around the hotel and just walk whereever we can.

Of course all of this will depend on whether we get our passports in time. We just sent them off yesterday so I've got my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. And if anyone wants to meet for a Blue Jays game on the 8th let me know. I'd like to meet some more of the members here.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
    Just remember to dress up like these guys and you should fit in nicely. image

• nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Bluejays vs Yankees sept 5th and 6th.
    Aerosmith sept 3rd.
    The Cult sept 4th.
    The Killers sept 6th

U2 sept 16th and 17th.

<< <i>Bluejays vs Yankees sept 5th and 6th.
    Aerosmith sept 3rd.
    The Cult sept 4th.
    The Killers sept 6th

U2 sept 16th and 17th. >>

And I'll be there the 8th and 9th and miss all of it. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Toronto Bluejays vs Minnisota twins 8th and 9th. image

<< <i>Toronto Bluejays vs Minnisota twins 8th and 9th. image >>

I'll be there on the 8th. I'm pretty excited. I've heard nice things about the Blue Jays stadium.
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards
  • ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bluejays vs Yankees sept 5th and 6th.
    Aerosmith sept 3rd.
    The Cult sept 4th.
    The Killers sept 6th

U2 sept 16th and 17th. >>

I have tickets for the Cult at Massy Hall...I think it's 9/14, not 9/4
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    best time to visit Toronto is mid-June for the NXNE music festival. I went a few years ago and happened to coincide with the rare Cubs vs Jays inter-league series...hit the hockey HOF too...one of my best vacations ever...but if you trek up and down Queens St W you'll find stuff to do especially if you like bars and the arts.

Queens St W
    Sorry to bump an old thread but we just purchased our Blue Jays tickets today for the September 8th game versus the Twins. We're in the left field seats, Section 137, Row 1, Seats 1 & 2. If anyone else is going to the game feel free to stop by and introduce yourself. I'll even spring for a beer. image
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    Cardinal T206 cards