Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

David Ortiz Juice

Ny Times just released it.

Ortiz and Ramirez Said to Be on Doping List
By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT 5 minutes ago
David Ortiz, right, and Manny Ramirez propelled the Boston Red Sox to two World Series titles. Both tested positive in 2003, according to lawyers.
Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

Comments

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big Papi image
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    shocking - last guy I would have suspected
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    Wow AP has nothing on you guys! If they are going to leak these names one by one every couple months lets just get it over with and see them all. If I was the union I would be going nuts.

+1 for The Mask video Ross. Rofl!
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    +1 for The Mask video Ross. Rofl! >>

I had just used it, but it seemed fitting here as well.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    NO...... WAY......

But seriously, I love how all these guys who were jacking 50-70 HRs a year are now down to 20-40 and getting injured, and every time a new story comes out it's a shock.

• wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    No real surprise here; Papi goes from a player who can't crack the starting line, to one of the top 5 most feared power hitters in the league, back to a guy who can barely crack the starting lineup, LOL.

You could probably make the argument guys like Clemens, Bonds, Manny, Raffy, had some talent; but Papi is just a complete fraud. He wouldn't be in the majors today without the stuff.
  • VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't be a bigger Red Sox fan...and I'm not at ALL surprised. Ortiz started getting injured and his stats fell off the map. Ummm, that's exactly what happens. Look at Nomar - same thing. I'm more interested in how Manny testing positive twice (he's the first, no?) will alter the perception of him, if at all.
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭
    yeah what a stunner...I guess the Twins brass weren't that wrong about Ortiz's natural abilities after all.

there has long been a rumor about the Red Sox organization showing players how to use PEDs back then...and I'm sure Nomar will show up on that list eventually. One thing that is certain, if a player comes out publicly and says that they have not used, or in Ortiz's case this past winter stating that "players who are caught using should be suspended for an entire year", they are the first names to get revealed.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    OMFG, I'm shocked!!!!

<<sarcasm>>
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    It's a shame, but not a surprise. I still love the Red Sox, though.

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    no way.

even with the help he couldn't get his rump down to field a ground ball. image
  • AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    This guy?

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A-Rod is starting to look better (orange tan and purple lips aside) with all the other guys getting outed.

They should just release the entire list and get it over with. Pujols has got to be sweating this out. It seems that all of the top Domican sluggers are getting busted.
    Mike
  • Disappointing but no surprise. Amazing how many baseball players abused this stuff though. You can almost understand it in football & hockey because of the physical pounding your body takes. Baseball players miss a week with a soar toe! I would like to see the complete 2003 list at some point although the fact is most of these guys are probably still cheating. Just using one of the many PED's that cannot be tested and collecting a huge paycheck because of it.
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd hope this fourth leak is enough to initiate the release of the entire list.

Does baseball think the public is like the old "frog in the pot of water", and by releasing this all slowly it will somehow have less effect? Or do they want the guys who profited most to have their respective walks of shame?

Everybody knows how ridiculous either concept is as there is no test for HGH - which has simply replaced the clear, which simply replaced the cream, which simply replaced the mexican steroid, which simply replaced Andro, which simply replaced dianabol, etc.

The horse is forever out of the barn - PEDs are now a part of sports at all levels, and will always be. The real question is why aren't pro leagues forced to be MORE aggressive than amateur sports - particualrly when they have more resources?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from court and heard the news. Crazy, though not surprising.

Ortiz's HRs from 2002 to 2009:

That's a nice looking bell curve.

Some great quotes from David Ortiz back in February 2009.

"I would suggest everybody get tested, not random, everybody,"
    "You go team by team. You test everybody three, four times a year and that's about it."
    "Ban 'em for the whole year,"
    ""I know that if I test positive by using any kind of substance, I know that I'm going to disrespect my family, the game, the fans and everybody, and I don't want to be facing that situation."
    "I just want to go out there and make sure that people are not looking at you like, 'Oh, look at this guy. He's big now. What's going on?'"
    "I have done it all here. I'm just going to try to maintain myself healthy and just let people know that they were wrong."

/s/ JackWESQ
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got back from court and heard the news. Crazy, though not surprising.

Ortiz's HRs from 2002 to 2009:

That's a nice looking bell curve.

Some great quotes from David Ortiz back in February 2009.

"I would suggest everybody get tested, not random, everybody,"
    "You go team by team. You test everybody three, four times a year and that's about it."
    "Ban 'em for the whole year,"
    ""I know that if I test positive by using any kind of substance, I know that I'm going to disrespect my family, the game, the fans and everybody, and I don't want to be facing that situation."
    "I just want to go out there and make sure that people are not looking at you like, 'Oh, look at this guy. He's big now. What's going on?'"
    "I have done it all here. I'm just going to try to maintain myself healthy and just let people know that they were wrong."

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Such brash statements from Ortiz make the Palmeiro finger wagging seem a little less egregious.

• SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    He really should get back on the clear.

"Molon Labe"

• 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Nomar . . . Nomore